Why become a member? ×

Perfecting the gig setup process

Stylon Pilson

It has become very easy and fairly painless at places  we've played before , it's the new places that can be a PITA , when laying out everyone appears to have the need to ask everyone else to reposition themselves or their kit by about 3or 4 inches in a random direction.  I just laugh now but it did get a bit stress full at one point . 

The singist now does a little bit of rhythm guitar , has the smallest kit but spreads himself all over the place  ,wireless  inears monitors , wireless guitar sends , wireless mic ......and wires and wireless boxes every bloody where !! 

I'm lucky, we have a dedicated sound and lighting tech. When I arrive at a gig the sound and lights are usually already set up. Takes me 20 mins to set up my rig.

Tear down is a different story, we all stay as we are required to help tear down sound and lights. Lots of heavy lifting.

Blue

I shared this in the pedal-board thread not long after I'd got it all finished off but it kinda fits better here, it's proven to be very effective. 😁 

1. Open the box
  2. Set up/Plug-in; Stand/Microphone 
  3. Plug-in tablet 
  4. Plug-in the power (a single mains plug)
  5. Plug-in mono out from my mini desk into the stage box or a D.I. 
  6. Strap on my bass,  jack in, wedge my monitors in my lugholes and tune-up.

Bosh, ready to go.

5b10087bc6dd7_Rig1.thumb.jpg.3d1efe0a7229ca73c9f621cdadf1742e.jpg5b10089c2582f_Rig2.thumb.jpg.b8d47188a53dbbe71bb086572d56f633.jpg

• Like 1

One of the guitarists used to run sound for touring function bands for a living. He keeps the PA in his van and he is in charge. I do as he tells me and ask what to him must be stupid questions until I learn. He is a bit of a legend, gets on with it all quietly, never complains... But we all make sure we help him out as much as possible. 

If we're providing all the kit then it's:

• Drums start, and while he's doing that the rest of the band do the heavy lifting - put cabs, PA, etc in place
  • Once the drummer has completely finished, and in particular has got all of his cymbal stands in place so I know exactly how much space he's going to take up and isn't going to start putting things on top of my gear (why do drummers always do that if you give them the chance? I remember one gig where the drummer had completely finished, I set up, went for a slash and when I came back he'd moved the whole drum kit six inches to the right, so that he was on top of all my leads) then get the leads out and plug in everything in front of the amps - everybody for themselves

If we're playing a multi band gig and I haven't brought any backline then it's:

• plug all the front of amp stuff into a DI box

In both scenarios I then tune up, and then wait patiently for the sound man to get round to checking me, while the assembled guitarists spend the next hour noodling away and twiddling with all the knobs on their amps and stomp boxes 

I've learnt to just get the main rig in place then wait.Each pub/club is different for space.We have lights to find space for front and rear of band and a lightiong guy needs somehwere to park himself .When i know what space is left i set up the rest,if its too tight my multi fx stays in the bag

I used to get ratty when the roadie would step on my stuff as he tried to do his work with my gear in the way so i just wait

Load the PA and drums in first, keep everything off stage. I set up the subs and tops, run cables to the desk which our guitarist takes charge of as he does our sound usually. Set up lights and run cables for them, do mic cable and stage snake runs. Then drummer sets up as we bring the rest of our gear in, I only use a small powered wedge, our guitarist has a little combo and the keys player uses in-ears, then I set up a little monitor for me and the drummer so we can hear keys and vocals, everybody else has in-ears for this. Sound check, put the banners up (they're the pull up type) then have a pint, unless the load in is difficult we are done in under 45 mins easily these days, some gigs where the access door is right near the stage we're done in half an hour.

We've made loads of adjustments to our gear (both PA and backline) to get into a routine where everybody has something to do, it's mainly me and the guitarist but lackey work like assembling mic stands and packing cases away is done by the keys player. Next step is wireless lights I think.