Why become a member? ×

Well,should he (Jake) Be banned

Lorne

Someone had to post this question

Having dealt with thieves of instruments myself,I really do not see how there can be any place for such a dishonest person in a Forum such as this.Whatever his excuse was,does not make his actions justifyable IMHO

Now,I don't want this to become a "Jake is a ......." thread,just want to know what everyone thinks Ref Jake's membership

[quote name='Lorne' post='339811' date='Nov 28 2008, 04:29 PM']Someone had to post this question

Having dealt with thieves of instruments myself,I really do not see how there can be any place for such a dishonest person in a Forum such as this.Whatever his excuse was,does not make his actions justifyable IMHO

Now,I don't want this to become a "Jake is a ......." thread,just want to know what everyone thinks Ref Jake's membership[/quote]

Can we at least leave it til Reuel gets his bass?

I used to be a Super moderator for Ultimate-guitar.com, We never allowed the average member to decide on bannings and such.

I think its up to the mods of BC to decide. :) They know the story and are probably discussing it.

Edited by Shockwave

Whilst I understand the feelings that have prompted this thread I dont feel its appropriate.

I speak individually as a mod here, (obviously a decision to ban someone is normally agreed by a quorum lead by at least 1 admin!) I will NOT be voting for Jake to be banned.

He has had to endure plently of humiliaton already and considearbly more than any mormal offender for a relatively minor theft/fraud.

I dont expect he'll be welcomed back with open arms either.

Our interactions with him have been open and frank and I have left avenues open for him to ask for help if he genuinely needs it.

For those of you that believe I and others are being over generous.... ask yourself this.....

"how would I expect to be treated, finding myself in a similar situation?"

[quote name='The Burpster' post='339831' date='Nov 28 2008, 04:41 PM']Whilst I understand the feelings that have prompted this thread I dont feel its appropriate.

I speak individually as a mod here, (obviously a decision to ban someone is normally agreed by a quorum lead by at least 1 admin!) I will NOT be voting for Jake to be banned.

He has had to endure plently of humiliaton already and considearbly more than any mormal offender for a relatively minor theft/fraud.

I dont expect he'll be welcomed back with open arms either.

Our interactions with him have been open and frank and I have left avenues open for him to ask for help if he genuinely needs it.

For those of you that believe I and others are being over generous.... ask yourself this.....

"how would I expect to be treated, finding myself in a similar situation?"[/quote]

If you feel this question is inappropriate,then please feel free to delete it

I asked the question to see what the general consensus was,not really thinking this would lead to his banning or not.

Although I do disagree with you on a couple of points,IMHO,it was not a relatively Minor theft,it was £1400 of someone else's hard earned cash-try stealing £1400 of the Government and see how much you have to endure

And

"how would I expect to be treated, finding myself in a similar situation?"

I am willing to bet 99.99999999999% of the members here would not even have that kind of thought enter thier head,no matter how their finances were,So I doubt any pof us would be in a Similar situation

And to the guy who said we should wait until Reuel has his bass back,the bass is now in the hands of a trusted BCer,so it is as good as in Reuel's hands :)

Edited by Lorne

I thought this issue is over? Aren't threads of this nature bordering on victimisation and bullying? If you were an admin, what would you hope to achieve by banning?

There's nothing anyone can do to stop this from happening in the future so I don't see what point there is in banning anyone. If its additional security you're seeking, this is not the way to get it.

Simple lesson is [u]don't take risks buying and selling[/u]. The internet is a scary place and the freedom it offers is a double edge sword. If you're not happy then don't hand over the money in the first place.

I'm closing this thread. A lynching is just going to encourage people to dwell on things more than is probably necessary, so how about we move on and get back to normal? You all know who he is so its up to you all as individuals to decide whether you want to trade with him in the future.

In fact, why don't we try to finish this episode on a high note? The bass is secure, I hope lessons have been learned on both sides, and its great that the forum and key individuals were able to help out so effectively.

Don't forget though - CAVEAT EMPTOR.