Why become a member? ×

Ex Mark King amp

A real King Combo sold in France for ... €450 Euros, yes around £400 GBP https://onlybass.com/topic/91068-ashdown-abm-king-combo/?tab=comments#comment-1700126

Not sure about what the guy is telling in the Superking Combo ad :

Valve? Yes, in the preamp section... 

1200 Watts ? Where is the proof... It's only an EVO II 900 head. 

8x12" ? I know there is an 8x10“ version (see above), but tvere is no evidence even by Ashdown of such a cab.

Superking ? Again no proof nor evidence. 

Price is ridiculous.

• Like 1

Interesting... I don't really know anything about Ashdown gear, apart from the fact that I like the modern stuff I borrow at the rehearsal room we use. But from everything you've said it sounds like the seller is equally as ignorant, or hoping to hook an MK fan who doesn't know any better. I almost mentioned above that it does sounds very optimistically priced, but for all I knew this was some kind of holy grail kit - although it seems not...

It does look like he has taken the 1200 watt thing from the back of the cabinet section though, so maybe he is just unaware of what he's actually selling?

I knew a guy who played a Mark King 810 combo. IMO it didn't sound very good, the band thought is sounded like crap and so no one would help him carry it.

According to the bass Centre, my Mesa Road Ready 210 EV was part of the rig MK used in the 90's.

It didn't make me sound like Mark King at all!!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the original Mark King combo was an 8x10 combo, with a 400 watt  Klystron ( early ABM ) amp.. That was the version Mark King used when he was playing a Bernie Goodfellow bass

His roadie did all the lugging, when I saw him playin it. Sound was s..., but that might have been the acoustics of Portsmouth guildhall . 

Edited by Chimike

I've played Marcus Miller own bass, Alain Caron talked to me, I also played John Entwistle's personal Buzzard bass and I owned Jonas Hellborg own Status sixer. Would you trade that cable for a certificate with all this mentioned and one of my right index fresh cut nail that has touched these strings ?

8 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Of course, in a jiffy bag that was intended for Mark King.

1 minute ago, Chimike said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the original Mark King combo was an 8x10 combo, with a 400 watt  Klystron ( early ABM ) amp.. That was the version Mark King used when he was playing a Bernie Goodfellow bass

Yup - and his signature sound was created from the unprocessed DI at the desk rather than the amp.

2 minutes ago, Chimike said:

As stated above, look here https://onlybass.com/topic/91068-ashdown-abm-king-combo/?tab=comments#comment-1700126

1 minute ago, Hellzero said:

I've played Marcus Miller own bass, Alain Caron talked to me, I also played John Entwistle's personal Buzzard bass and I owned Jonas Hellborg own Status sixer. Would you trade that cable for a certificate with all this mentioned and one of my right index fresh cut nail that has touched these strings ?

Hardly a fair trade is it?

Just now, Hellzero said:

Are you sure he didn't look at it once ?

Well, if you count the sheets he did. I took them to a gig of his and draped it over the balcony with the words, "Mark, you could be under these very sheets".

I could tell he was interested. Even though I wasn't even there.

• Haha 1

I've got a brand new combine harvester and was going to give Mark King the keys but I could be open to offers of 10 times what I paid for it.

I've also got a lovely bunch of coconuts that I picked personally for Mark - don't know if he likes coconuts but I got them anyway - £100 each or £500 for the bunch