Why become a member? ×

Curious note

fleabag

I was wondering about part of the bass line for Steely Dan's track Peg, and specificully the intro,  ( i can already play the bass line ) 

Its like a chord but only 2 notes. Just wondering if there's a techincal name for it

Edited by fleabag

52 minutes ago, Sibob said:

It’s typically called a double-stop :)

That said.....there’s potentially more to it than that ;):

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/318155-how-many-notes-does-it-take-to-make-a-chord/

Si

Without trawling 6 pages Si,  i'll take a guess and say it doesn't have a name other than ' double stop.  Shame :)

I'm glad you cleared that up.  You've arrived at the same conclusion that I did.

When I asked a similar question here a while back, there was a strong suggestion that you could legitimately call two notes played together a chord.  I was not alone in thinking that double stop was a more appropriate term.  There were convincing arguments for both terms.

The song was Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now.  The middle eight in my copy of the tab (with score) was annotated with the word "overdub" where there were two notes played together throughout the section but I found it easy to play in one pass.  I don't believe it was recorded with a single note line and an overdub to put the other notes in on top despite the book's assertion.

I decided to go with double stop.  I'd get a big head if folk managed to convince me that I was actually playing chords then I might be tempted to become a guitarist.

(NOOOOOOOOOOOO!)

Edited by SpondonBassed