Why become a member? ×

Lakland Skyline production moving to Indonesia

EssentialTension

Looks like Skyline production is now Indonesian:

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6565351&highlight=indonesia#post6565351"]Talkbass thread - see post 114[/url]

Basspraiser says there: "We also got to try some of the Skylines out that Jauqo mentioned in his post about “Skyline quality”……as some of you may know, rumor has it that Cort is closing the plant in Korea…as such, Dan had to move the production……based on input from Cort and other factors, the Skylines are now made at a Cort plant in Indonesia…….After trying out a few of the basses from the first shipment, I can say that they are as good if not better than the Korean Skylines. As Jauqo mentioned, they are lighter and very well put together! Dan is excited and impressed about the quality coming out of the plant. He mentioned that he thinks the reason the quality is so good is the fact that the Skylines are the “top of the line” for the particular plant and, as such, they are getting extra care and attention and he intends to make sure it stays that way…..in addition, all of the Skylines are now getting PLEK’d…overall, Skyline quality has never been better…."

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='334965' date='Nov 23 2008, 04:21 PM']Looks like Skyline production is now Indonesian:

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6565351&highlight=indonesia#post6565351"]Talkbass thread - see post 114[/url]

Basspraiser says there: "We also got to try some of the Skylines out that Jauqo mentioned in his post about “Skyline quality”……as some of you may know, rumor has it that Cort is closing the plant in Korea…as such, Dan had to move the production……based on input from Cort and other factors, the Skylines are now made at a Cort plant in Indonesia…….After trying out a few of the basses from the first shipment, I can say that they are as good if not better than the Korean Skylines. As Jauqo mentioned, they are lighter and very well put together! Dan is excited and impressed about the quality coming out of the plant. He mentioned that he thinks the reason the quality is so good is the fact that the Skylines are the “top of the line” for the particular plant and, as such, they are getting extra care and attention and he intends to make sure it stays that way…..in addition, all of the Skylines are now getting PLEK’d…overall, Skyline quality has never been better…."[/quote]
i think sometimes these countries try that little bit extra because they are keen for the business for their economy. a friend of mine went to the singepore grand prix and as they left the stands all the stewards and other workers clapped them in apreciation for coming to the event .not something you would see in the western world . :)

[quote name='GЯДИК' post='337682' date='Nov 26 2008, 08:33 PM']if this means lower prices I'm happy. My Indonesian Squiers are excellent and with Lakland construction ( Ibelieve they assemble the Skylines in their Chicago plant from foreign parts) then I'm sure they'll be as good as they are now[/quote]

It doesn't mean lower prices. Skyline prices are staying the same. Although Lakland US prices increase 10% on January 1st.

Lakland seem to think that the Indonesian quality is even better than the Korean and the benchwork and Plekking will still be done in Chicago.

It's the Cort factory in Indonesia which apparently does the Squier VM series and the G&L Tributes. The Laklands will be their top of the line.

There's lots of posts about this at Talkbass including from Lakland guys themselves.

The skylines are fantastic value. If you have modern day cnc machinery, it doesnt really care which countrys electricity it uses. If the timber and components a decent, you will get a great instrument.

I have a G&L Tribute 2000 and its great quality.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='337851' date='Nov 26 2008, 11:00 PM']It doesn't mean lower prices. Skyline prices are staying the same. Although Lakland US prices increase 10% on January 1st.

Lakland seem to think that the Indonesian quality is even better than the Korean and the benchwork and Plekking will still be done in Chicago.

It's the Cort factory in Indonesia which apparently does the Squier VM series and the G&L Tributes. The Laklands will be their top of the line.

There's lots of posts about this at Talkbass including from Lakland guys themselves.[/quote]

production costs are lower in Indonesia than South Korea... bastards are sticking it to us again!

I believe my Indonesian Daisy Rock Elite Bass & Peavey Millenium fiver came out of cort's factory. The quality is great. Both are very playable and very good sounding & looking basses and certainly giggable however one was £200 new and the other was £135 secondhand. Neither was amazing until I set them up though but at least the frets were good without needing a levelling. I guess Lakland will be putting the production savings into the work done in Chicago.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='338655' date='Nov 27 2008, 05:08 PM']I believe my Indonesian Daisy Rock Elite Bass & Peavey Millenium fiver came out of cort's factory. The quality is great. Both are very playable and very good sounding & looking basses and certainly giggable however one was £200 new and the other was £135 secondhand. Neither was amazing until I set them up though but at least the frets were good without needing a levelling. I guess Lakland will be putting the production savings into the work done in Chicago.[/quote]

I think the likes of the Daisy Rock will be fully manufactured in Indonesia while the Lakland Skyline bodies and necks were CNC machined in Korea and now Indonesia but the electronics are still done in Chicago. Fret dressing is also done in Chicago, now on the PLEK machine.

I would forget about about which basses Cort make for who and try a CORT. They are probably the most underrated instrument available and have "borrowed" a lot of the features from the other lines they produce, eg the switching from G&L.
They are fantastic instruments and I would rate my GB75 against anything comparable from Lakland, G&L, Ibanez, Fender etc. All of who they build for.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='340324' date='Nov 29 2008, 10:15 AM']I played a new Lakland JO 4-stringer the other week. Lovely bass with through body stringing, etc., but it had very narrow string spacing. Definitely not 19mm. Is this normal on Lakland jazz models?[/quote]

0.78 inch on a 4 string says the website which is, I believe, in excess of 19mm. So, strange ...

[quote name='jerseytrev' post='337836' date='Nov 26 2008, 10:49 PM']hi do you rate the jo against the dj as i am going to try both[/quote]

Sorry for the late reply. Unfortunately I've never played a DJ. The DJ is a slightly different vibe (70's jazz rather than 60's). I've never played a Laklnad I didn't like (some more than others though - the hollow just wasn't my thing, but i'd like to have one in the house 'cos they look so cool!). I'm thinking about moving on my Bongo5 and replacing it with a Lakland 5 string.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='340324' date='Nov 29 2008, 10:15 AM']I played a new Lakland JO 4-stringer the other week. Lovely bass with through body stringing, etc., but it had very narrow string spacing. Definitely not 19mm. Is this normal on Lakland jazz models?[/quote]

Very strange. Mine is somewhere between 19-20mm...

I'd respectfully suggest an error in the measurement. Another possibility would be that it had a replacement bridge.

This is particularly strange as all the Lakland 4 string models (according to the website) are 0.78 inch spacing at the bridge except for the DJ and the Hollowbody which are given as 0.75 inch. But even 0.75 inch is 19.05 mm.