Why become a member? ×

Band Finding.?

bubinga5

Local Facebook groups and probably going to a regular open mic night and meeting people. There tends to be a lot of musicians there playing and watching and if you get up for a Jam you never know who you mights chat to that needs a bass player at some point.

10 hours ago, bubinga5 said:

Any recommendations that I don't know of, to find a band. Soul and funk bands seem to be thin on the ground in my area. Any good FaceBook pages.?

Thanks.

Much to my dismay, soul and funk bands tend to be thin on the ground everywhere 😩 and I say that as someone living in London!! 

Might be worth contacting some agencies.
They'll be in contact with a lot of that type of band.
They'll probably ask you for a short bio, so they can see your experience, and possibly a video of you playing.
But it's a good way to get your name in the hat. 

• Like 1

Looks like I've hopefully picked up a decent gig now after quite a long search, but online I used these three sites:

Bandmix: Very clumsy and inaccurate search engine, won't accept some postcodes, and some of the band ads which come up in results - they aren't even looking for bass players!

Join My Band - the simplest and most straightforward, ads by U.K. county and in chronological order, no fees.

Find-a-musician.com - Charges fees, unintuitive site - and another one with a dreadful search engine and difficult to filter results.

If you use paid-for Bandmix then the most important thing is to write a carefully worded profile and include your contact details, then anyone can contact you without having to sign up and pay.

Also I agree with FuNkShUi about trying agencies - good plan.

9 minutes ago, musicbassman said:

Bandmix: Very clumsy and inaccurate search engine, won't accept some postcodes, and some of the band ads which come up in results - they aren't even looking for bass players!

Find-a-musician.com - Charges fees, unintuitive site - and another one with a dreadful search engine and difficult to filter results.

Entirely agree with this ... what is it with these incredibly useless search engines? 

Given that the whole raison d'etre for these websites is to allow people to search, you have to wonder why the owners don't realise that they're shooting themselves in the foot.

The problem I have with Bandmix is when I search for bands looking for bass players, half the results that come back the bands are looking for every single category of musician on the site. I also find it more difficult to use since they updated the site a couple years ago.