Why become a member? ×

Spraying a pickguard

la bam

Hi all,

Im just pimping up my bass and want to replace the white scratchplate with a black one.

Typically the black one i want is out of stock. So was just wondering if it is easy to spray paing a scratchplate?

Is there anything to watch for, or any particular good paint?

Yes it's easy. Especially if you've spray painted before. Just remove the pick guard (obviously), then rough up the surface with a Scotchbrite pad or similar (don't forget edges). Then apply a very thin, light coat and let it dry fully. Then apply two or three heavier coats, let dry between coats. Make sure you cover the edges with paint. Done.

I use acrylic rattle-can colours such as Canbrush. About £9 from the usual sources. Hope this helps.

Just now, la bam said:

I havent considered the scotchbrite thing, so thanks for that.

No worries... you just need a key for the new paint. Whether you use matte, satin or gloss is down to what the original finish is like, what effect you're going for and... personal preference. :)

4 hours ago, MoonBassAlpha said:

Is sticky backed plastic really a viable option? I imagine it's quite tricky to get the edge trimmed at the bevel to look neat.

As long as you have a good sharp knife, (a craft knife or scalpel is best), it's easy. I've done a few. Carbon Black being the favourite.

If you use Car Wrap, you would be able to fold it over the edges with the help of a hairdryer.

I tried spraying and even though I took great care in prepping it was still easy to scratch the finish and a scratch with white underneath would really show up. You wouldn't have that problem with vinyl.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Jonse said:

If you are spray painting, don't make the mistake I did by doing it outside in a windy day. I got all bits of dirt and leaves stuck to the finish which absolutely ruined it. Did it in the garage the next time. 

Good tip. But even indoors it's a good idea to tidy up and push the Hoover around a bit. It's still possible to blow dust and dirt indoors with a spray gun or can.

The actual spraying of paint is the easy bit. Preparation is important, as is the environment in which the paint will dry. :)