Why become a member? ×

Who are we kidding - does great bass tone REALLY matter?

Al Krow

I recall getting asked..well the singer... getting asked if we did Call me Al by Paul Simon.The same woman asked after every song for a bout 6 songs in a row. Every time she asked I played the bass line and she never once noticed what I was playing. I was very tickled indeed!

So in conclusion, and my final contribution to this thread... Sometimes the punter doesn't even recognise the SONG they have just requested let alone our tone! We've had people request a song, then play it only to have them come back and ask for it! Drunks eh!

Now to start a new thread Do punters even know what music is?

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Ah what is a P bass? Do only Fender make P-basses and, if so, by extension are they the only ones who make J basses too? And everyone else just makes copies?! I think not. My Yammy BB qualifies as a P my friend as much as our Bergs qualify as a Js. Certainly in my books.

My Yammy PJ sounds nothing like my Fender P.

You really need both.

I have a spare Fender P for sale btw.

On 12/02/2018 at 17:33, mikel said:

Yep, and the bassist probably thought he had a killer tone. Spent years defining his sound and spent a fortune on bass, amp, cabs and effects. His tone was not appropriate to the music. Subjective, but some people search for their tone with little thought to what genre of music they will be playing. Horses for courses.

Here's a thought. Do upright players ...."search for their tone" if they do, well it all sounds the same to me.   I tell you, with leccy bass as far as the audience are concerned, a rounded taught bassy tone will work with 999999% of all music.

Reluctantly, I have to agree with the OP. After much thought, I must say (1979ish) my no name cack P bass, Selmer Treble n Bass head and 18" whatever cab is the sound that made the hairs on my neck stand on end. Folk may scoff. I've loved Peavey,  Eden, Orange BF etc but that setup really did it for me. Maybe it was my age. Wish I could get that feeling again though.

Edited by itsmedunc

• 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, Trueno said:

...I played most of my gigs fretless...

If your intonation is slightly out, you will notice. If it's slightly more out, the band will notice. If it's really out, the audience will notice... that's really bad news... just keep practising.

From another thread, and about intonation rather than tone, but seems to me to almost equally apply to our discussion on bass tone!

Folk don't necessarily notice just how good a bass tone is when it's good (i.e. the difference between a decent and a great bass tone is likely to get missed). But they will certainly notice when it's crap.

@Cuzzie are you on commission from:

a) YouTube

b) dUg Pinnick

c) Tech 21?

d) All of the above?

As that's the third posting of the above clip in the space of a morning. Love the enthusiasm bro. :D

Well here's the thing: I've just got my Sandberg TM4 with flats, full bridge humbucker, active mode with treble notched up and bass EQ notched down a touch to deliver that 50s / 60s retro sound I associate with semi-hollow basses of the period. Do you know what, I don't care if my band-mates or the pub audience don't notice it - I bloo*dy love it!! And it's definitely adding zest to me wanting to pick up the bass and work through 2 hours+ of material for the band.

I think no-one disagrees we should do everything we can to avoid a sh*t tone (get the EQ right, stop the bass sounding boomy etc) for the sake of the audience, but I'm completely on board with getting a great bass tone, which maybe only we as bass players may notice, 'cos it's our passion and it makes picking up the bass that little bit more rewarding.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Haha 1

Ha!

a) no

b) love him

c) not yet

i posted across the 3 relevant topics so that peeps who were following each could get a slice, yep there will be cross over!

But, you have virtually nailed it, by searching YOUR tone and blending it to your band, covers or originals, it will make for a better show andnlistening experience and the audience benefit as not only will they like what they hear, but what they see which is the point of love music, someone into the groove.

Amd this you have answered your own question

• Like 1

On 2/16/2018 at 14:34, Muzz said:

Well, at least they spotted you were the bassist...and I suppose it's better than the usual "Here mate, do you know any Queen/Abba/ELO/Chaka Khan*/whatever?" when you're in the middle of a song... "Erm, I'm a bit busy right now..." ¬¬:D

* Yes, really...Chaka Khan. We're a trio of fifty-something blokes...it was a wedding gig, she was a bridesmaid, not that hammered, and serious... :|

At least she had taste and didn't ask for Wonderwall...