Why become a member? ×

Ohms again

T-Bay

Looking at a lightweight rig to backup my TE kit for smaller/ up a million stairs gigs. Looking at the Markbass range, specifically the traveller 2x10 and 1x15. The 2x10 is available in 4 or 8ohm, the 15 only 8. The amps won’t take less than 4 but have higher power at 4 than 8. I just want to double check my understanding is correct, if I use two 8ohm cabs I will be getting around the 4ohm needed, if used a 4and 8 it would be under the 4ohm and therefore a bad idea. So the best combination is both 8ohm but for a single cab it would be the 2x10 4ohm. Sorry that’s a bit rambling but hoping someone can confirm that’s about right.

Using an 8-ohm cab plus a 4-ohm cab together will take you well below the magic 4-ohm total load. so 2 x 8-ohm cabs is the optimum.

Using just a single 8-ohm cab will not make a significant difference compared to a 4-ohm version of the same.  All you will notice is that the pointer on the volume control is a few degrees further round.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, T-Bay said:

I like the mix of 10s and a 15, always seems a more rounded sound than 4x10.

Diameter has no bearing on the sound.  You could try a MarkBass 4x10 & an EBS 4x10 next to each other & find one sounds completely different to the other.

That's due to the cab more than the driver.

Try both the 2x10s & the 1x15s, get 2 of the same cab.  Having 2 different cab means you're likely to have an unpredictable sound at each venue.

I know the 80s are making a comeback, but not everything from the 80s needs to come back (e.g.  mismatched cabs) :D

54 minutes ago, xgsjx said:

That's due to the cab more than the driver.

Try both the 2x10s & the 1x15s, get 2 of the same cab.  Having 2 different cab means you're likely to have an unpredictable sound at each venue.

I know the 80s are making a comeback, but not everything from the 80s needs to come back (e.g.  mismatched cabs) :D

No need for them to be mismatched if the maker knows what they are doing. I have no reason to doubt the recommendation of Markbass who happen to suggest the exact setup I am after. My present TE setup certainly isn’t mismatched either.

• Like 1

I`ve only ever had great sounding results when pairing 210s & 115s from the same maker, but..... Trying to get the same sound from either cab if wanting an easy rehearsal, or playing a small gig has always proved virtually impossible, as each cab has had its own voice. Plus in reality I`m too lazy/old/weak to carry two heavy cabs around, so stick with one 410 that`s easy enough between two people.

1 hour ago, T-Bay said:

No need for them to be mismatched if the maker knows what they are doing. I have no reason to doubt the recommendation of Markbass who happen to suggest the exact setup I am after. My present TE setup certainly isn’t mismatched either.

My advice is to look into this carefully as well as listening to the experts here before buying what a manufacturer recommends.  The cynic in me tends to think that Markbass, and other makers, know perfectly well about the perils of mixing speaker sizes.

(I've owned a pair of Markbass 2x10s and a Markbass 1x15 and the 2x10 is deeper and tighter sounding if that helps.)

Frank.

• Like 1