Why become a member? ×

Playing With Time

Yank

I started as a drummer before taking up guitar and then bass.  One of the subtleties of drumming is playing with time.  Being on the beat,  pulling (slightly behind) the beat or pushing (slightly ahead of) the beat.  This has a huge effect on the feel of a song.  Not being first a bassest,  I wonder if other bass players consciously use this effect and if this is part of  "locking" with a drummer.  Of course you both can play in the same time frame,  but you can also play in different time frames i.e. drummer behind the beat and bass on the beat or visa-versa.

I think the whole concept of "locking in" is more widley understood and appreciated more by bass players than drummers.

I can become very aggravated and sarcastic 

" I'm curious, have you ever even heard the term locking in?"

My feeling is;

"You better look at me and pay attention when I'm trying to lock in"

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

Yep, I came from drumming as well. Its micro timing, pushing, pulling or nailing the beat. Drummers completely understand the term "Locking in with the bass player" and its a two way thing. One person can not lock in with themselves, it takes two or more to Tango. Its one of the rhythm sections best tools, and one of the hardest to get perfect. On the beat for the verses, push the beat for the chorus to enhance excitement, and behind the beat for the middle 8 to create a bit of tension. Its what drumming and bass playing are about.

The reason I was asking was,  I was playing in a four piece recently and this aspect of time came up with the drummer,  me,  who was on bass and the singer/rhythm guitarist,  who started as a drummer.  The lead guitarist,  who has only ever played guitar,  had no concept of what we were talking about.  He had never thought of this aspect of playing with time.

David Garibaldi (Tower of Power) is one of my favorite drummers. Somewhere on Youtube there's a great tutorial from him where he moves the snare beat around to push or pull the feel of the song. He had a very serious accident a while back which I'd forgotten about - anybody know how he's doing?

Edited by Japhet

On 20/12/2017 at 09:37, Yank said:

The lead guitarist,  who has only ever played guitar,  had no concept of what we were talking about.  He had never thought of this aspect of playing with time.

Ha! I've met many guitarists like this. The best guitarist that I've ever met didn't even rate himself as a guitarist - he always thought of himself as a timbales player!

3 hours ago, Japhet said:

David Garibaldi (Tower of Power) is one of my favorite drummers. Somewhere on Youtube there's a great tutorial from him where he moves the snare beat around to push or pull the feel of the song. He had a very serious accident a while back which I'd forgotten about - anybody know how he's doing?

I would like to see that - do you have the link for that YouTube clip? 

Apparently Garibaldi returned to the TOP line up in October 2017 (according to Wikipedia) 

5 hours ago, peteb said:

I would like to see that - do you have the link for that YouTube clip? 

Apparently Garibaldi returned to the TOP line up in October 2017 (according to Wikipedia) 

Think it might have been this although I'm sure there's something out there where he plays the same pattern but moves the snare around within the groove.