Why become a member? ×

Christmas Present for 15 year old bass player

alexg

Guys

Just wondering if you could provide me with some advice re possible good value bass present options for my 15 year old daughter.

She has been playing bass for 2-3 years, is grade 5, still using her original Squier Standard Jazz with a Rumble 15 and has been practicing with the same set of guys for about a year and a half.

I had thought that it might be worth getting her some sort of foot pedal device to let her experiment with sound, but maybe there would be better things to look at first?

I don't play at all, but the forum helped me out when I was purchasing the original kit, so hopefully you can help me out this time too...... :)

Thanks in advance for the help!

hey :) cant go wrong with zoom b2.1u, great intro to effects, and its a great addition to any board. but the other cheaper zoom multi effects are well worth a look too, great value pedals

Edited by BassManKev

Korg PX4-B, or PX4-D. Great little headphone amp / effects module / drum machine / recording interface etc etc..........

read the blurb - [url="http://www.korg.com/gear/info.asp?A_PROD_NO=PX4B"]http://www.korg.com/gear/info.asp?A_PROD_NO=PX4B[/url]

[quote name='cheddatom' post='328115' date='Nov 13 2008, 08:44 AM']A multi effects pedal to listen to through some half-decent headphones would be much more fun than a new amp!![/quote]

I agree with that, but when she starts gigging prepare for her to want one of [url="http://pages.suddenlink.net/deovolente/svt1.jpg"]these[/url] :)

+1 on the Zoom B2.1U if you really must get a pedal...

but a bigger rig should give her more headroom to get dynamic with and bigger speakers for a better low end response...

try something in the 30 watts range... she should be able to carry that... I'd sell you my Laney RB6 combo (165 watts max, 100 watts into 15 inch kickback combo speaker), but it's on the heavy side for me and she would have big problems trying to lift it...

[quote name='Hamster' post='328064' date='Nov 13 2008, 12:33 AM']Korg PX4-B, or PX4-D. Great little headphone amp / effects module / drum machine / recording interface etc etc..........

read the blurb - [url="http://www.korg.com/gear/info.asp?A_PROD_NO=PX4B"]http://www.korg.com/gear/info.asp?A_PROD_NO=PX4B[/url][/quote]

If my dad got me one of them it'd be the Best Xmas Ever :-)

maybe I should ask my daughter to get me one...

[quote name='chris_b' post='328060' date='Nov 13 2008, 12:29 AM']I'd let her get her own effects, if she wants them, but how about something a bit better than the Rumble?[/quote]
Amp upgrade is probably best, maybe even a modeling amp, so she doesn't have to mess about with pedals.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='328199' date='Nov 13 2008, 10:22 AM']Heh - she can borrow an amp for gigging, that's what every other 15 year old bassist does.[/quote]
Heyy, I'm 14 and i use my own. Its bloody heavy, and is practically impossible to fit in the car, but I have to, because the bands we usually gig with don't tend to have bassists.
Zach

Guys

Thanks for the :) and the advice so far.

Looks like it is a two horse race between the Zoom B2.1U and the Korg PX4-B.

I am assuming that they broadly do the same things?

The Korg looks like it is cheaper, so does that mean it is the best value?

Also, are they both easy to get into and use or will my daughter (or me) have to spend hours pouring over the manual?

With respect to Amps, what would be a good next step and what difference would my daughter find from the upgrade.

Thanks again

[quote name='alexg' post='328674' date='Nov 13 2008, 09:11 PM']Guys

Thanks for the :) and the advice so far.

Looks like it is a two horse race between the Zoom B2.1U and the Korg PX4-B.

I am assuming that they broadly do the same things?

[b]The Korg looks like it is cheaper, so does that mean it is the best value?[/b]

Also, are they both easy to get into and use or will my daughter (or me) have to spend hours pouring over the manual?

With respect to Amps, what would be a good next step and what difference would my daughter find from the upgrade.

Thanks again[/quote]
imo, the b2.1u is one of the best value units you will buy: floor effects pedal with expression pedal, some of the best digital effects iv tried, headphone amp, recording interface, drum machine, what more could it have?! :huh:

Edited by BassManKev

[quote name='BassManKev' post='328682' date='Nov 13 2008, 09:34 PM']imo, the b2.1u is one of the best value units you will buy: floor effects pedal with expression pedal, some of the best digital effects iv tried, headphone amp, recording interface, drum machine, what more could it have?! :)[/quote]

Have you tried the Korg? - it's the size of a pack of playing cards and I'm dead impressed with mine. I agree that the Zoom pedals are really good value for what they are, I had a Zoom 506-II which was pretty good.

[quote name='Hamster' post='328687' date='Nov 13 2008, 09:50 PM']Have you tried the Korg? - it's the size of a pack of playing cards and I'm dead impressed with mine. I agree that the Zoom pedals are really good value for what they are, I had a Zoom 506-II which was pretty good.[/quote]
nah not tried it, they are pretty different beasts tbh, depends what she wants really.

Based on my 2 years experience of using my Zoom B2.1U... there are only three things wrong with them:

1) The two onboard footswitches can get a bit erratic in operation, although mine has cleared up again...

2) There is no aux input, which makes it a little difficult when you want to jam along to an MP3 and use headphones

3) It would be nice if there was a master limiter/compressor setting in addition to the master volume setting

I've taken to using a limiter in the signal chain in front of my Zoom and turned off the limiter module in all my self edited patches

With the addition of an external footswitch connected to the Zoom, it's very giggable... The footswitch makes it so much easier to select the bypass and mute option for silent tuning or taking the zoom out of the chain. A momentary press gives you bypass. A press and hold gives you mute. Both activate the tuner mode. Far easier than trying to press both onboard footswitches at the same time.

[quote name='Paul Cooke' post='328840' date='Nov 14 2008, 08:09 AM']Based on my 2 years experience of using my Zoom B2.1U... there are only three things wrong with them:

1) The two onboard footswitches can get a bit erratic in operation, although mine has cleared up again...

[b]2) There is no aux input, which makes it a little difficult when you want to jam along to an MP3 and use headphones[/b]

3) It would be nice if there was a master limiter/compressor setting in addition to the master volume setting

I've taken to using a limiter in the signal chain in front of my Zoom and turned off the limiter module in all my self edited patches

With the addition of an external footswitch connected to the Zoom, it's very giggable... The footswitch makes it so much easier to select the bypass and mute option for silent tuning or taking the zoom out of the chain. A momentary press gives you bypass. A press and hold gives you mute. Both activate the tuner mode. Far easier than trying to press both onboard footswitches at the same time.[/quote]
you can get round that by using the usb port with your pc and playing songs on itunes or similar, the sound comes out through the headphones rather than your pc's speakers :)

Edited by BassManKev