Why become a member? ×

Advice needed about entry to 5 string

meltedbuzzbox

1 hour ago, BreadBin said:

You would need the bottom 4 strings of a 5 string set, or equivalent. 

Also make sure to widen the slots on the top nut to suit...

That's what I was thinking - soz, should have made that clear. Good point about the nut - hadn't thought of that. Thanks :)

Edited by lozkerr

If its a starter 5er the OP is after there is a Squier Jazz 5 in the for sale section for £225 (not mine & no affiliation but I also have one & a Squier Precision 5) its a cracking bass for the money imho. Buy it, try it for a while &  I agree with others to play it exclusively, didn't take me too long to get used to the extra string & positional possibilities it gives you. If you don't get on with it you haven't broke the bank & will prob get yer money back or you love the 5 & can move onto a "better" bass?

Tuppence. Go for it & enjoy the challenge!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lozkerr said:

That sounds like a superb idea! I presume it would need a normal gauge B string rather than just detuning the E, though? 

4 hours ago, BreadBin said:

You would need the bottom 4 strings of a 5 string set, or equivalent. 

Also make sure to widen the slots on the top nut to suit...

Yes, a purpose-made B - G set and see if you know someone who just needs a new G string :-)

But don't take a file to the nut until you've tried it and made sure you need to. It's not just the top nut that might need widening but all of them. And then if you want to go back to EADG they might be too loose. Won't need to on my Aerodyne. I guess it depends a bit on the exact shape of the slots - if they're properly rounded then each string will sit where it fits.

Now look what you've done, you've made me buy a 5 :).  Rare as hen's teeth Hohner B Bass V.  Only the 3rd I've seen for sale in 5 years of looking.  Awesome sound, neck through, figured wood throughout - £180 + post.

• Like 1

On 09/05/2018 at 07:51, SpondonBassed said:

You may find that your intonation needs a tweak too.

I'll probably try it with an el cheapo Gear4Music no-name three-quarter bass I have lying around. That way if anything goes crack, I won't have lost too much; it only cost me a tenner.