Why become a member? ×

How is this possible, EMG parts rant

AndyTravis

So there’s a project afoot and I’ve gone round the houses to get an EMG P/J set.

got some on the way used...and it looks like the wires were soldered to pots rather than the quick connect.

I decided from the get go that I wanted new pots and socket but love the fact the pickups are a bit worn and fit in with the bass’ look.

Just before I paid for a new pickup wiring loom, I checked the spec out and realised the widely available “2 pickup set” wouldn’t work as a component called a “pickup buss” wouldn’t be there and it sounds important.

A few back and forth’s with Selectron the UK distributor for EMG and they were useless...frankly. They didn’t seem to want to help or know what I was on about.

EMG do the P/J wiring kit. And you can order from their website, but the shipping is very expensive and I didn’t fancy paying the same for shipping as the kit.

theres a company on eBay called “don’t tell the wife guitars” who do everything EMG - they’re US based but it still worked out cheaper than the price I eventually got from a mate who runs a guitar shop who sells me bits at trade because I do the odd set up in basses etc.

He laughed, Selectron just didn’ Want to know and their shipping to him in the UK was as much as I’ve just paid to get the item over the Atlantic. They also didn’t have stock for 2-3 weeks.

It’s infuriating as the bass is the best part of finished and the pickups will be here on Monday.

And I’ll still be £40 better off than buying a new set. I wish I’d spent the extra £40 in some ways, but patience will pay dividends I’m sure.A0843167-C6F4-473B-8E01-D50CE455477A.thumb.jpeg.faaa7ba785bd733e1adf4c38ae5e8de8.jpeg19C27717-BF45-4B43-830F-4571B7294318.thumb.jpeg.4f613cbad7875e31213a3783ac5004ec.jpeg

I've tried to avoid EMGs since the 80s when the "Select" models were fitted on a Hohner B2A I had. 

I can't find a single positive thing to say about them and it befuddles me intensely why anybody uses them. Comes as no surprise that the CS is rubbish - same as the p/ups.

4 hours ago, TheGreek said:

I've tried to avoid EMGs since the 80s when the "Select" models were fitted on a Hohner B2A I had. 

I can't find a single positive thing to say about them and it befuddles me intensely why anybody uses them. Comes as no surprise that the CS is rubbish - same as the p/ups.

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

I love EMGs. And the customer service from HQ in the USA is great.

uk distributors are crap, admittedly.

Well...I’m a fan. And you know, if they don’t work, I can sell/swap them xD

Edited by AndyTravis

15 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Those EMG 'Select' pickups on the Hohner B2A (I have one) are Hi-Z pickups ( witness you can switch the on board preamp out of circuit and still get a good strength signal) so not the 'trademark' EMG Lo-Z technology.

Edited by rmorris
Typo

Great pickups. Non-existent CS in the UK, “can’t be bothered” attitude in the US. The ‘Artist Liasion’ guy doesn’t actually reply to messages or being tagged on social media to respond. CS in the UK has never responded to me, ever. 

I’ve been using EMGs on my basses for over 20 years. If i had the cash, i’d replace the lot. But I don’t so I’m stuck with them.

15 minutes ago, hubrad said:

Don't worry about the pickup buss, it's just a connecting block for the push fit red +9V ends. With the 'old' type you just solder the red pickup wires to the red battery wire.

Love those EMGs!  

12 minutes ago, hubrad said:

Also if necessary you can get 22k pots from places like Maplin, which will actually do the job just as well as the official 25k ones. 

The full set up is in the post now, will do a proper job once...

like I say I wanted it to be all fresh and new too.

wish I’d known some of that information beforehand hahahahaha.

Frustrating eh. The pickups are rock solid, I’ve never had a failure, which of course I am happy about, because I’d be worried for how slow they’d be to help me if something did need looking at. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have (cough!) more than one EMG - equipped bass, and have played around with their configuration for decades. 

The pickups themselves are resin potted, so not repairable as you'd have to destroy it to get inside. I've always worked on the principle that backup extends to warranty replacement of a new pickup, or you're on your own ie source a replacement yourself. A rewind isn't going to happen.  Pots and switches are easy to obtain, either 'official' or off the shelf at electronics outlets.

Touch wood, I've never had an EMG pickup fail in the approx 30 years I've had a variety of them. :-)

On 03/12/2017 at 11:31, hubrad said:

Touch wood, I've never had an EMG pickup fail in the approx 30 years I've had a variety of them. :-)

Yes, which for me is great news as I too have not had an EMG fail ever, but this is very good news as it has taken two respected Luthiers to attempt to order some pickups for a project and as yet neither have had any confirmation of order, so I (and they) gave up. It's almost as if they don't want to sell any pickups!

Edited by dood
spelling

I know what you mean, Dood.. the last new ones I bought was a set of 5 string jazz type, bought a couple of years back from the States as I couldn't even get an estimate of lead time for UK. 

What are/were you after for the project? 

Edited by hubrad