Why become a member? ×

If you could only choose one dirt pedal?

Al Krow

I don't know how it is made Inside, but if it's not the case he can decide to have standardized PCB's made to simplify the production, in this case he may think about a smaller circuit. A custom builder I know is into this kind of re-think for his faves units, precisely to spend less time building them.

I’ll get to try out the Aftershock properly tonight. Just updated to the latest firmware and done a factory reset.

I was pleasantly surprised how much I liked the Darkglass emulation not because I think it sounds authentic (I’ve never played the original), more because I never thought I’d find that kind of distortion pleasing. I just hope I’m not opening yet another can of worms for myself. 

Holy crap, the Aftershock is so versatile. As one of the distortion models you can have “clean (no distortion)”, this means you can set it to just take advantage of the EQ and/or noise and filter gates! You could even have the tone rolled off the (actual) clean signal so that using the mix knob morphs between (actual) clean with tone rolled off to (processed) EQd clean! @CameronJ, did you know this?

You can also use it as a low pass filter! @Al Krow, you might want to note that I can now get all the tight tracking goodness from my MXR BOD but use the lowpass filter to get it to sound like the clean subby tone of other octave pedals such as the T-16 and Octamizer! Down side is that I haven’t (yet) figures out how to avoid putting low pass onto the clean bass tone whilst making sure the octave voice has it fully applied. LS-2 maybe? Also need to explore the aftershock’s loop function.

@lee650

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

Holy crap, the Aftershock is so versatile. As one of the distortion models you can have “clean (no distortion)”, this means you can set it to just take advantage of the EQ and/or noise and filter gates! You could even have the tone rolled off the (actual) clean signal so that using the mix knob morphs between (actual) clean with tone rolled off to (processed) EQd clean! @CameronJ, did you know this?

You can also use it as a low pass filter! @Al Krow, you might want to note that I can now get all the tight tracking goodness from my MXR BOD but use the lowpass filter to get it to sound like the clean subby tone of other octave pedals such as the T-16 and Octamizer! Down side is that I haven’t (yet) figures out how to avoid putting low pass onto the clean bass tone whilst making sure the octave voice has it fully applied. LS-2 maybe? Also need to explore the aftershock’s loop function.

@lee650

Ooh, sounds good! Didn’t know you could do that. You’ve already delved much deeper into the Neuro app than I have!

41 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

As a side note, the Neuro app is great. I like the fact that you can edit from your phone (as opposed to having to use a laptop like with the TC toneprint editor).

You can access the full TonePrint editor on iPad too, though that’s obviously useless if you don’t own one!

Surely the noise gate on the Aftershock is nowhere near as feature-laden as the Sentry?

• Like 1

On 30/11/2017 at 09:56, Al Krow said:

Cheers DB - that's really useful feedback, particularly in relation to the lighter overdrive sounds. But it seemed to me that there was the option of editing these via the mobile app? Still not possible to sculpt a decent warm valve / lighter overdrive i.e. the tone editing not on a par with the TC Toneprint in terms of flexibility?

On 30/11/2017 at 18:36, totorbass said:

About the After Shock, I've heard some guys saying that there were lots of controls OK but always the same root tone, which was not that mad (edit i mean that great, don't know if "that mad" is understandable). 

Q - what are your thoughts on the comments made by DB and TB on the Aftershock. Is it all a bit 'samey' in terms of what it delivers and not great on the lighter overdrive? I do love all the versatility it seems to offer.

54 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Q - what are your thoughts on the comments made by DB and TB on the Aftershock. Is it all a bit 'samey' in terms of what it delivers and not great on the lighter overdrive?

Not sure yet as I just browsed through each sound without tweaking them too much. There’s enough to keep me busy for a long time. To be honest, distortion is something I’m not familiar with.

8 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Q - what are your thoughts on the comments made by DB and TB on the Aftershock. Is it all a bit 'samey' in terms of what it delivers and not great on the lighter overdrive? I do love all the versatility it seems to offer.

I've only read this on Onlybass. From what I hear in soundclips, it seems very darkglass-like, with an abrasive and tight grain that may be difficult to soften. But I don't talk from experience here.

12 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

Plugged in my Orange Terror Bass today to mess about with some drive pedals and have changed my answer. If I could only have one overdrive pedal it would be...

Reveal hidden contents

Aguilar Agro!

Aha! That was very unexpected! Now given that your collection of overdrives reads like a 'who's who' of overdrive pedal royalty, you're definitely going to need to say a bit more as to why you prefer the Aggie over a Pike Vulcan, Darkglass B7K / VMT, Two Note Le Bass, Blueberry... I presume it's got something to do with the interaction with the Orange TB which will be very different to your DG head (and different to most other amps, the Orange is its own thing, right?) and nothing to do with the fact that you're going to be selling the Aggie shortly ?! :D

It just sounds good! Was getting very similar tones out of the Two Notes, Vulcan and Agro but the Agro just had a bit more character, like a crunchy guitar amp.

I'll probably be shedding a bunch of pedals soon but I keep changing my mind about which I like best!

It also has a much smaller footprint than the Two Notes or the Vulcan, and Aggie pedals generally do seem to shift pdq when they come up for sale...I'm still hankering after the Damnation Audio MDB-1, now if he only made a mini version of that...

It sounds more tube like than the Vulcan, it doesn't have the blend but I can put it in a Mosquite Blender if I wish.
It sounds similar to the 2 Notes but with less EQ/blend options, and there is a built in treble roll off which means it sounds nicer in headphones than the Two Notes without it's speaker sim (and I don't like the speaker sim on it as it's too muddy).

But ultimately it just makes you want to close your eyes and play blues guitar solos on the bass as it's so touch sensitive. Great for Black Sabbath stuff. Reminds me of what the Ashdown CTM15 I had sounded like when cranked!

Admittedly this is all in the bedroom though, I tend to change my opinion on pedals in a band context, but since my band has disintegrated it sounds good for now!