Why become a member? ×

Tapewound strings on active basses

Quatschmacher

Tapewound strings on an active bass will be OK-ish, but IMO makes it sound more like a passive P bass so defeats the object of an active J.

Louis Johnson and Bernard Edwards did some of their best work on Stingray's with tapewounds so it's all down to what you like.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1510150213' post='3404302']
Tapewound strings on an active bass will be OK-ish, but IMO makes it sound more like a passive P bass so defeats the object of an active J.

Louis Johnson and Bernard Edwards did some of their best work on Stingray's with tapewounds so it's all down to what you like.
[/quote]

Where did you learn that Bernard used tapewounds? Could you please point me to the source. If this is true then I’ll definitely try it as I absolutely love his sound. I always assumed he used something like Labella flatwounds.

Edited by Quatschmacher

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1510150213' post='3404302']
[/quote]

Stingrays shipped with GHS flat's until mid 78 when they appear to have changed to GHS rounds. Nard's will most likely have had GHS flat's, pointed to by various recorded sounds (especially popping strings) - it's highly unlikely that Louis Johnson's had flats based on the recorded sound and videos of him soloed.

That said none are tape wounds - and I've never tried them on a Stingray in 35 odd years - must give it a go sometime.

Edited by drTStingray