Why become a member? ×

New Darkglass Products.....

Cuzzie

So the worst kept secret is out

They have released 2 cabs

210 handling 500w, 54lbs in weight about $999

410 handling 1000w, 85lbs in weight about $1399

Cross over point is 2.8 kHz to use with their distortion, Baltic Birch wood and eminence drivers

They have also released a 500w head at $799. This has a headphone out and the DI is not affected by the master volume, otherwise it’s the same as it brother, but smaller.

That along with the Alpha Omicron is the new range.

Not entirely unpredictable, but if you like it the head seems a good idea, and I reckon Gen 2 of the 900 will include some features of this one.

I’m going to ask the questions Al Krow wants to ask.......

Good additions to the market place?
Does this cement the range?
Is it a natural evolution for DG, or is it treading water and consolidating and plateauing in the market for just the ‘metal’ and distortion sound?

Edited by Cuzzie

I really liked thee M900 I owned and would still have it if I hadn't decided to switch to in-ears. It's so much more than just a distortion unit with an amp attached.

The 500 watt may interest me even just as a preamp if the price is right, or if I wait for used one.

Have to say I am slightly surprised about the big hooha for such a mediocre release though. Everybody knew about the cabs, so really the amp was all it was about and it's hardly breaking new ground in the market, although I would imagine they'll sell a ton of them!

I think Doug at Darkglass is taking a leaf out of the Apple playboy. Lots of big noises over baby steps in "development", if you can call them that. But people will suck it up and, as with Apple, will pay through the nose for it!

Bigwan

I think you are right, but if you can do it and people buy into it, why not?!

I too had an M900 head, clean circuit s very good and intuitive, I see they have taken away the frequency selection points for the 500, it is a real shame that they do not push the clean as much as they do the dirt so people know.
The whole marketing campaign aid 4 announcements for September, shock horror, it’s a mini version of a pedal less than a year old, 2 Cabs (I would put cabs as 1) and a 500w head which new is more expensive than a second hand 900 which you can flip a switch to attenuate anddecrease the wattage from 900 and soncoild use with a One10 anyway. Only addition is the headphone jack and a DI unaffected by master volume

Also in true Apple fashion, extras are optional and have to be purchased such as the footswitch, that’s a bit naughty

Edited by Cuzzie

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1506494793' post='3379062']
Bigwan

I think you are right, but if you can do it and people buy into it, why not?!

I too had an M900 head, clean circuit s very good and intuitive, I see they have taken away the frequency selection points for the 500, it is a real shame that they do not push the clean as much as they do the dirt so people know.
The whole marketing campaign aid 4 announcements for September, shock horror, it's a mini version of a pedal less than a year old, 2 Cabs (I would put cabs as 1) and a 500w head which new is more expensive than a second hand 900 which you can flip a switch to attenuate anddecrease the wattage from 900 and soncoild use with a One10 anyway. Only addition is the headphone jack and a DI unaffected by master volume

Also in true Apple fashion, extras are optional and have to be purchased such as the footswitch, that's a bit naughty
[/quote]

Frequency buttons are there - but only 2 options per, rather than 3

Surprised at the 500w release. Price difference will be so minimal I don't know why you wouldn't get a 900 for just a slightly bigger footprint. I would have expected a 200w release, which at the right price point would have took the market by storm. 500w seems a little unnecessary unless they surprise with the price, but judging by the above it doesn't look like it.

Would love to hear the cabs, 10's aren't my thing but I'm still curious!

'm assuming you get the 1 button footswitch with it like for the M900, and that the multi swtich is optional?

The multi-one has a flaw in that settings that work for the B3K circuit don't really work for the VMT circuit, so there's not a lot of point swapping between them.

I leave the B3K setting on all the time anyway - with a very low drive level. Then hit it with an AO if needed.

My interpretation in the website is no footswitch at all included

Footswitch

The Footswitch jack allows you to remotely engage and disengage the Microtubes Engine via our Intelligent Footswitch (sold separately). Hold the footswitch to Mute the amplifier. The VMT/B3K push button will remain operational with the Intelligent Footswitch plugged in.
* Use a regular mono instrument cable to connect the amplifier to the footswitch.
* Remove the cable from the footswitch jack in the rear panel if you want to control the amp from the front panel.
* The Microtubes 500 will only work with our proprietary Intelligent Footswitch or Super Intelligent Footswitch (both sold separately). A generic Footswitch will not work with the Microtubes 500.

That is naughty....

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1506502622' post='3379133']
My interpretation in the website is no footswitch at all included

Footswitch

The Footswitch jack allows you to remotely engage and disengage the Microtubes Engine via our Intelligent Footswitch (sold separately). Hold the footswitch to Mute the amplifier. The VMT/B3K push button will remain operational with the Intelligent Footswitch plugged in.
* Use a regular mono instrument cable to connect the amplifier to the footswitch.
* Remove the cable from the footswitch jack in the rear panel if you want to control the amp from the front panel.
* The Microtubes 500 will only work with our proprietary Intelligent Footswitch or Super Intelligent Footswitch (both sold separately). A generic Footswitch will not work with the Microtubes 500.

That is naughty....
[/quote]

Blimey. That's not good.

Does anyone actually use their footswitch much? Like the switchable drive in the Ultra series, I don't find it terribly useful unless you have the blend set really low due to the drastic EQ changes when switching the Microtubes on or off, or going between B3K and VMT (which you can do with the new super duper footswitch).

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1506509919' post='3379202']
Does anyone actually use their footswitch much? Like the switchable drive in the Ultra series, I don't find it terribly useful unless you have the blend set really low due to the drastic EQ changes when switching the Microtubes on or off, or going between B3K and VMT (which you can do with the new super duper footswitch).
[/quote]

I have no issues with volume or EQ levels switching between dirt and clean, like I never have with the pedals :)

I would have no use for the big switch though, like others have said my B3K and VMT settings are entirely different.

Edited by Kev

Kev and Dannybuoy, totally get your point, if your dirt sound is always on then of course not, but if you are on and off for songs it should be accessible like a stomp box IMO, as this is what it is replacing or adding to, you wouldn’t buy a pedal you had to
Push instead of kicking a button, if it’s mid song, then you are a bit done having to walk to the amp and push a tiny button, or you are forced into buying the footswitch, which comes as standard for the other amp.

If the footswitch was included you can bet the price would be higher. Personally, I would prefer to pay less rather than get something I might not use. I just use it set to B3K mode, minimum gain, blend about 3/4 and leave it there - sounds perfect with my BB. Although I am now bringing an acoustic fretless into the equation where I will probably just switch the Microtubes off manually.

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1506513997' post='3379248']
Ultimately, it's a lot of money for a 2x10 and 4x10. I'd rather use it to get a Barefaced.
P
[/quote]

That.

I just don't get the business idea of pitching a new 2x10 at a money level twice as expensive as BF, Berg, or Vanderkley.
I can't see DG shifting enough to make it viable against that competition.