Why become a member? ×

Trilogy of Streamers

Dubs

My 3 Streamers -

[attachment=15664:stdcrop.jpg] [size=7]+[/size] [attachment=15662:SSIcrop.jpg] [size=7]+[/size] [attachment=15663:SSIIcrop.jpg] [size=7]= :)[/size]

From Left to Right: 2004 Streamer Standard – 2000 Streamer Stage I – 1998 Streamer Stage II

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='323511' date='Nov 6 2008, 03:53 PM']indeed. It sounds too good :huh:[/quote]

Schhhwweeet!!

And you know the irony, my Spector sounds the way I wanted that SS2 to sound, so were both winners :).

[quote name='Galilee' post='324493' date='Nov 7 2008, 08:54 PM']coughThumbcough[/quote]

:)

The Thumb BO went a couple of months ago, but unbeknown to me at the time, it ended up part funding the SSII.

[i]When[/i] I get a Thumb again, I think it’ll have to be a JD :huh:

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='324525' date='Nov 7 2008, 09:41 PM']Judging by the photo, your other half is a bit of a looker too. Well done on both fronts, son. :huh:[/quote]
[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='324572' date='Nov 7 2008, 10:59 PM']Ha ha......I was waiting for one. :huh: I'm sure everyone else was just too polite :unsure:[/quote]

:) the action is great as well… :huh:

[size=3]So, Ben. Having lusted after a Warwick Streamer Stage 1 for many years, I gotta ask a seasoned Streamer; Thru neck or Bolt? EMG's or MEC?
I guess the main reason for me liking your SS1 is the pick-up config. I just think it looks better than the jazz (from a man with a jazz config! :) ) Not a huge fan of the $$ either. Pick-ups matter! :huh: [/size]

[quote name='Minimolizard' post='327290' date='Nov 12 2008, 08:56 AM'][size=3]So, Ben. Having lusted after a Warwick Streamer Stage 1 for many years, I gotta ask a seasoned Streamer; Thru neck or Bolt? EMG's or MEC?
I guess the main reason for me liking your SS1 is the pick-up config. I just think it looks better than the jazz (from a man with a jazz config! :) ) Not a huge fan of the $$ either. Pick-ups matter! :huh: [/size][/quote]

Hey man, I don’t know if I can be a lot of help, but I’ll try -

Well, I honestly like both thru neck and bolt-on, but on different instruments – I owned a bolt-on Thumb (as mentioned above) and I loved it; really great sound and was a lot lighter than the thru neck equivalent. I’ve played a few thru neck Thumbs, and although they look/feel/sound great, I just don’t think that I’d have the back strength to play a whole set with one :huh:

It may sound odd, but I don’t feel that I can really comment a lot on thru neck Streamers vs bolt-on Streamers. The only bolt-on Streamer that I’ve ever owned is the Std, and this isn’t really typical of Streamers - for a start it’s passive, and the body shape is completely different to the higher end Streamers; it’s not contoured around the edges and doesn’t have the arched body construction, but despite this it feels great to play and has a lovely passive interpretation of the distinctive Warwick sound, IMO of course.
The Streamer Pro M is a great bolt-on Streamer, but I’ve never owned one so I can’t really give much advice on that vs a SSI or SSII, but it’s a lot closer to an SSI than the Std that I own. The second hand prices for Warwicks are quite low at the moment so you might actually be able to pick up a thru neck SSI for not a lot more than a bolt-on Streamer Pro M, but In terms of extended sustain on thru neck basses and all that crap, you won’t be able to tell the difference. Also look into the Streamer LX – I think that comes in a P/J pickup config on the 4 string version, and is also a great bass. With the thru vs BO thing, I think it's just down to finding the right instrument for you, so just try and play as many as possible to get a real feel for the differences in tone and feel/playability.

My SSI has an Aguilar OB2 pre and obviously the EMGs, but all this was in it when I traded it for a Stingray so I never actually heard it with the original pre and the MECs, but it sounds completely different to the SSII, although this is probably to do with the nature of the instrument. The SSI sounds really crisp, and although it still sounds distinctively like a Warwick, I think somehow it sounds a bit more Hi-Fi than some other SSIs that I’ve played in the past (probably due to the pickups and pre amp). The SSII has a lovely dirty growl and compliments the relative cleanness of the SSI really nicely, but I don’t know if that growlyness is due to the original pickups and pre amp or just the natural acoustic properties of the instrument, who knows?

Hope that’s helped a bit, but if not then Warwickhunt is the messiah of all things “W” around here so it may be worthwhile dropping him a PM…

I think I was the one who put the EMG's and Aguilar into that SS1....so here's my interpretation. The EMG vs MEC isn't a biggie. EMGs (to me) sound just a bit cleaner, with more extended highs and lows but essentially not very different in character to the original MECs. I already had a P p/up doing nothing, so it seemed like a good idea (I've always liked the clarity of EMGs)

The stock 3 band preamp started to play up, and rather than spend time and money fixing it, I decided to change it. Never liked the mid control, and felt it was pretty "hissy". The Aguilar 2 band was chosen because it has a frightening bass boost, and also the ability to cut treble (very useful with EMGs if you want a more traditional sound). I also prefer vol/vol to balance controls, unless they are really well designed and don't do odd "phase things".

Despite all that, I couldn't get the warmth out of I wanted....so off it went....

BB

[quote name='BassBod' post='327590' date='Nov 12 2008, 01:53 PM']I think I was the one who put the EMG's and Aguilar into that SS1....so here's my interpretation. The EMG vs MEC isn't a biggie. EMGs (to me) sound just a bit cleaner, with more extended highs and lows but essentially not very different in character to the original MECs. I already had a P p/up doing nothing, so it seemed like a good idea (I've always liked the clarity of EMGs)

The stock 3 band preamp started to play up, and rather than spend time and money fixing it, I decided to change it. Never liked the mid control, and felt it was pretty "hissy". The Aguilar 2 band was chosen because it has a frightening bass boost, and also the ability to cut treble (very useful with EMGs if you want a more traditional sound). I also prefer vol/vol to balance controls, unless they are really well designed and don't do odd "phase things".

Despite all that, I couldn't get the warmth out of I wanted....so off it went....

BB[/quote]

Ahh fantastic – it’s great being able to trace back the history of stuff. Were you the owner from new? It’s still in amazing condition – when I got it off Luke the only blemish/ding/scratch/or anything is still the classic thumb ware above the P pickup, and this is only minor. It feels great and sounds amazing to me and is so comfortable to play, but I do prefer 1 volume + blend :)

Considering its been around the blues clubs of Germany (and to Bosnia) a few times, its amazing - that wax does a really good job of repairing small scuffs etc. I got it "new" around 5 years ago from a not very good shop in Bristol - but it must have been knocking around for a few years. I expect it had been round a few dealers etc etc before they got it. It was in good shape, but hadn't been waxed for a long time.

I loved the woodwork and design - great neck, good balance, not heavy - but whenver I used it on a jazzy gig I just couldn't get the warmth I wanted. Luke's Bravewood P bass was just right, warm as a warm thing on a warm day.....but if I could afford a Thumb...it doesn't stop does it??

Based on my experiences with the SS1 I'll hopefuly one day end up with a SS2 or Spector.

BB