Why become a member? ×

fx pedal rentals review (fxpedalrental.com)

krispn

Just posting my opinions of using this service for those who were thinking about it. If you've rented or bought something feel free to ad to this thread.

Can I just say I really enjoyed that there were video links on the pedal pages which was a really useful and thought out addition.

I was after a filter pedal as one of my bands 'new set' is a disco medley, two disco medleys in fact but we're gonna play them on alternating nights to give the illusion of choice to the bar staff - hint - always aim to please the bar staff and they will request that management have you back. Secondly my other main gig does a heap of covers in different styles too and getting new sounds was something I was looking to experiment with.

Having the filter pedals at home to mix and match on my pedal board and then bring to both rehearsals was a huge benefit. It's saved me having money tied up in gear that I may not be able to shift for [i]X [/i]amount of months in a scenario like this were it wasn't a good fit for me and my style of playing. I booked the pedals while off on leave from work I had loads of time to A/B and experiment with pedal placement etc.

I had a wedding to go to on this time off too and I wouldn't have had the cash to buy the pedal and hope to flip it in a few weeks or months. Also the cost of rental is likely what I would have lost had I bought these new and then flipped 'em so for me it made good sense. In this case I 'saved money' as I don't feel that the filter really worked for what I wanted or how I play.

I've been into using this type of service for a few years. fxpedalrental.com is a great idea and it works!

Next up is to try the Pike pedals as an alternative to the Darkglass stuff which are pretty big financial commitments or a Meatsmoke.....or one of those glou glou boxes!!!!! Great to see this service in the U.K.

Here's the link to the site:

[url="https://fxpedalrental.com/"]https://fxpedalrental.com/[/url]

Edited by krispn

Hi All,
Thanks to the wise man that is Krispn I will jump in here to answer any questions you folks have and to update you.

We have new stock arriving currently from Caroline and EQD and more on the way from KMA, Emma, Red Panda and Tech 21.

We also have more stock added to the for sale section.

This would be a good place to share any experiences you have had with effects you have tried or to request anything you're interested in.

cheers, Darren.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1504467969' post='3365113']
I'd be interested in trying a Cali Compact Bass compressor if you stocked one! I'm sure that would be a popular one around here too, enough for the investment to pay for itself.
[/quote]

As it happens I do have one but it's not listed yet. I have some still to add this week. If you're looking to try one I'll add it this week for you. And yes, they are very nice. I tried the keeley pro for a while which was excellent but the Cali parallel compression is much better at retaining the pick attack/top end dynamics.

I'm looking to get the RMI compressor in at some point too.

[quote name='krispn' timestamp='1504460757' post='3365034']
I spied some new Tech 21 stuff has arrived - The Geddy Lee pre amp and the Q strip! Tasty!
[/quote]

They have. I'm trying to get some spare time to actually plug the damn things in and try them. Very frustrating.
I'll post up when I have.

[quote name='tonyxtiger' timestamp='1504536778' post='3365518']
As it happens I do have one but it's not listed yet. I have some still to add this week. If you're looking to try one I'll add it this week for you. And yes, they are very nice. I tried the keeley pro for a while which was excellent but the Cali parallel compression is much better at retaining the pick attack/top end dynamics.

I'm looking to get the RMI compressor in at some point too.
[/quote]

I just bought the RMI! If I A/B the Cali and decide to keep the Cali I could do you a deal...

I have an Effectrode PC-2A which is the sweetest sounding comp I've ever tried, but when you slap or pop hard, the compression makes the low end disappear since it's low in volume relative to the high frequency content. Therefore interested in trying the RMI Dual Band or the Cali with it's LPF and blend knobs...

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1504467969' post='3365113']
I'd be interested in trying a Cali Compact Bass compressor if you stocked one! I'm sure that would be a popular one around here too, enough for the investment to pay for itself.
[/quote]

BOOM! its up now if you want to check it out.

https://fxpedalrental.com/rent-pedals/origin-effects.html

I loved my PC-2A but it got robbed years ago. I was holding out for the RMI but got a big box Cali and recently changed to the Cali CB. What an impressive box. I pair mine with a Hudson Electronic Broadcast which provides the Transformer element and adds a really nice quality to the tone of the bass. Sorry for the derail!

[quote name='CameronJ' timestamp='1504537009' post='3365522']
Browsing your stock selection makes me feel like a kid in a candy shop! It's expanded a fair bit since I first visited the site. Very nice
[/quote]

Thanks, glad you like what you see.
As always, happy to take suggestions for new stock.

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1504591244' post='3365815']
Sorry to derail further but I for one was very grateful you changed Krispn
[/quote]

How's it working out? I picked up the Hudson 'Broadcast' and have paired it to the Cali CB so I've effectively got a Cali TX minus the massive footprint and it is a fantastic combination - all those words like thick, phat, deep and hefty come to mind. Actually those would make for great names on a pedal rather than gain drive tone etc.

Sounds a dream - its perfect for me, absolute dream, and strangely i love a big footprint, it stops me from trying to expand where i don't need to.
One of my best purchases ever i reckon and you're a top bloke to boot.

Think you are onto a winner with names, time to design your own pedal!

• 6 months later...