Why become a member? ×

Should I cancel gig I am going to for my bands gig?

markdavid

[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1503132167' post='3355885']
They can but that situation wouldn't arise. The point is we are a collection of musicians providing their own take and their job. I really am lucky aren't i.
[/quote]a touch arrogant maybe?

My opinion, (1) you told the band you weren't available but they still took a booking with at least double checking with you to see if you would cancel your night out with the wife. It's their problem & either they cancel, or find a dep. If you have one or two dep contacts, I don't think it's unreasonable to pass on the details to the rest of the band. (2) if the drummer told you not to play the slide part, be big enough to take some constructive criticism. Sounds like he's at least listening to the band & how the song is constructed. However, if you think the slide works in the song, tell the drummer that. Has the drummer said anything to the guitarist?

How arrogant? I'd say maybe the opposite. The band leader put the band together because he likes what each person does. No one is arrogant enough to think they know the other person's craft better than them.

I can't honestly think of a time where either of the other 2 have done something I'd think needs changing.

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1503137617' post='3355941']
My opinion, (1) you told the band you weren't available but they still took a booking with at least double checking with you to see if you would cancel your night out with the wife. It's their problem & either they cancel, or find a dep. If you have one or two dep contacts, I don't think it's unreasonable to pass on the details to the rest of the band. (2) if the drummer told you not to play the slide part, be big enough to take some constructive criticism. Sounds like he's at least listening to the band & how the song is constructed. However, if you think the slide works in the song, tell the drummer that. Has the drummer said anything to the guitarist?
[/quote]Agree on both points,i will admit that i think due to the situation with the gig i was on the defensive side as i knew i was already in his bad books.

That being said i do wonder if he was deliberately looking for faults, i played a fill in one of the sections of Sex on fire and when we finished the song he said to me "wtf were you playing in the 3rd verse,they don't do that in the song" i assured him that the bass player does actually play that part in the original song, he looked at me and said "well he doesn't play it that loud" i just laughed at that point,this was after he had picked apart my playing on message in a bottle so something had clearly rattled his cage

Edited by markdavid

[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1503129428' post='3355854']

Have a lot if fun and get paid well :)
[/quote]

Amen! I thought I was the only guy that loves having fun, has fun and also likes getting paid well. It's part of the fun.

Just think about, getting paid to have fun. Not a bad deal.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1502873084' post='3354011']
this, if someone says they're unavailable a gig shouldn't get booked, simple, on the other hand if anybody'e forgot to fill in the calendar I would expect them to do the gig, having said all that we do double check with everyone before confirming any gig
[/quote]

Exactly this.

• 2 weeks later...

If you have only told them recently and they had the gig booked in the diary, then you are letting your band down.
You need to be a little more organised. If they hadn't told you, it's their fault..

If you had told them you were not available and they expect you to change your plans, it really needs to be worth your while - ie, you get your ticket money back (in addition to your gig money). Personally, I would say you can't get out of attending the show you have bought tickets for (and indeed, why should you, if you have told them a long way in advance)?

I work in a really busy semi-pro band and we are normally out 3 nights a week.
If I see a gig I want to go to and we are not already booked, then I let the others know that I'm not available that night (as far in advance as possible).
If we're already booked to play on that date, I find another date on that tour that I can get to.

We all put our 'not available' dates in as far forward as we can, then we all know. And there is no trouble about it.

Edited by 12stringbassist