Why become a member? ×

Sterling 5H - Where are they all?

Muppet

[quote name='Muppet' timestamp='1505312504' post='3370951']
Looking at the current specs on the Musicman site, the Stingray pickups are wired in parallel in themselves and continue to be wired in parallel through the multiple combinations. The Sterling seems to be in series.
[/quote]

You are correct!! It is however not what I have been assured of how mine is!!! 😂

Perhaps they changed the wiring on the sr5 to be parallel when they swapped back to alnico pickups? Perhaps someone more knowledgable can chime in???

Ok, looks like it the same as the sterling up until 2008, it must have been around the time they switched the sr5 pickups to alnico that they switch the wiring to parallel.

Sorry for the thread hijack to the OP!!! So after all that, if you want the sterling sound but can't get a sterling 5, get an sr5 up until 2008 😂

Now I want a post 2008 alnico pickup sr5 lol

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1505399134' post='3371623']
Sterling H, all years, can switch series/parallel/single coil on a ceramic magnet pickup.

The HH and HS models are ALL series mode.

Unless things have changed or I've made a mistake!
[/quote]

No mistakes made here, you're spot on.

I think the following is correct:-

All Sterling H (4 or 5 strings) have ceramic and series - with series/parallel/some form of single coil switching.

The Sterling with multi pickups are also ceramic - with series wiring (coil selection but no parallel)

- as previously observed the multi pick up Sterling wouldn't do the classic Stingray parallel sound - the ceramic magnets make a more punchy and warm version of the Stingray parallel sound on H versions.

Stingray 5H has similar electronics and pick up spec to the Sterling from 1992 to 2008 - after which the SR5H has alnico magnets which is the only difference as I understand. The early SR5s also had alnico but the single coil switch selection was not as silent as in the later post 1992 models.

If you really want clarity on this, email EBMM customer services and they will confirm the specs - the one area I'm not clear about is whether the current SR5 HS and HH has parallel or series wiring but I suspect may be parallel - the H definitely has series still - not that I need to know as I'm not planning buying a multi pick up SR5 - maybe an SR5 H though.......

Edited by drTStingray

Bought one new last year and it was a thing of beauty... Had a gripe with the nut being a bit shoddy but Ernie ball sent me 2 new sets of strings of my choice to compensate.

About 3 months into ownership there were some gnarly intermittent issues with pick up phase, sent away for repair 2 times and returned unrepaired every time. They kept just re securing the pick up instead of swapping it out.

In the end I got a refund and switched to a sandberg California II vt4 which is a totally different thing, but I was a bit soured on EBMM after that.

Edited by thisisswanbon

[quote name='thisisswanbon' timestamp='1505808073' post='3374378']
Bought one new last year and it was a thing of beauty... Had a gripe with the nut being a bit shoddy but Ernie ball sent me 2 new sets of strings of my choice to compensate.

About 3 months into ownership there were some gnarly intermittent issues with pick up phase, sent away for repair 2 times and returned unrepaired every time. They kept just re securing the pick up instead of swapping it out.

In the end I got a refund and switched to a sandberg California II vt4 which is a totally different thing, but I was a bit soured on EBMM after that.
[/quote]

That really isn't acceptable. Sorry to hear that. If you are in the UK, the dealer should have made everything good for you, no matter what it took.