Why become a member? ×

Ibanez SR basses

Woodinblack

13 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

SR300s are good, solid basses. They work very well for the price. i am not a huge fan of the pickups in them but the playability is pretty much the same of any of the standard SR ranges.

Thanks. There is one in decent looking condition for sale for £140 on Gumtree, I reckon that is about as cheap as I'll be able to find a reasonably decent Bass so am going to go for it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SumOne said:

Thanks. There is one in decent looking condition for sale for £140 on Gumtree, I reckon that is about as cheap as I'll be able to find a reasonably decent Bass so am going to go for it.

You can always upgrade the pickups then the electronics at a later date. 

• Like 1

^^^

Aparently the SR300 'E' has upgraded pickups and electronics from the older SR300, so hopefully they sound okay without mods (I am usually more a fan of passive though so I might consider that)  https://www.notreble.com/buzz/2016/03/04/ibanez-introduces-sr300e-with-upgraded-electronics/

I'm in the process of selling off my more expensive gear and downgrading everything in preparation for a house move (to get some £, reduce amount of stuff being moved, and as I'll need to quit bands for the time being - so only need a cheap bass for home practice and no need for most pedals and amp&cab), so it is probably a bit of a short-term thing....although hopefully it is actually good enough to keep as a long-term bass, at least as backup.

My setup will be about as cheap as it gets: SR300E + Zoom B1-Four. 

Edited by SumOne

I may be biased as I have too many anyways, but I am a big fan of the SR in general, and I really do consider them to be the new standard for everything. The SR300E or SR300EB basses I have tried (the new generations, with the powerspan pick ups) all sounded excellent and punched way beyond their weight. If you're unsure, Joshua Young plays an SR300. Does not seem to hinder him....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Question. About 11 years ago I took a Ibanez bass in part exchange.  Due to my poor finances at the time I sold it on pretty quick. But I remember it being a very nice bass indeed. Neck through, Bartolini soap bar pickups and a curved body like Spector/Warwick. I simply can't remember what it was and I'd quite like to check one out again. 

On 17/11/2022 at 00:03, SumOne said:

My setup will be about as cheap as it gets: SR300E + Zoom B1-Four.

I'll be doing the annual local hippie collective night with my new SR375e and B3n next week, probably through my old Peavey Mk VI and 15 cab. I seldom use the amp/head any more as they're so heavy, but the hall is 100m up the road so it's no problem moving them on a furniture trolley.

I know this should technically be in technical, but as it’s very specific and many of you seem to have fiddled with your Ibanezes…. I want to replace the power spans in my sr300e, but they are on a connector (3 wires) onto a board under the power tap switch (which I hate) Is there a way to replace the pickups alone (I have some Bart’s that will fit) or do I need a whole new preamp too? 

^ I imagine both lots of pickups are passive, and just the Pre is the active part...

1 for 1 wiring swap... presume Pos from each pickup with shared ground...

Are you removing the Power Tap?..

I would try disconnecting the lead first  hopefully defaults to std 'bucker.  

Mk1 Barts? These are infact a Reverse Split P in a Soapbar not a full width humbucker.

No real need to replace the pre, although you could go passive

Been thinking something similar

Mk1 Bart, Passive V and T... Simple P SR... and cover the bridge cavity and 3x EQ holes.

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Thanks 1

Just now, gafbass02 said:

cheers, its all a bit beyond me this active stuff, I might just snip the wires leaving the plug in place and then solder to the wires, I guess figuring out the colours will be trial an error.

Depends if you have a meter. There are 3 wires from the existing pickups, whch are ground, hot and centre tap. If you have a meter, it is easy to work out what they are - the resistance between two sets of the wires will be the same, and the other set will be double. Even easier would just be to look at the tracks on the actual switch which will also tell you.

Then for any given humbucker, you put the start and end of the coils together and you have your 3 wires (and probably one for shielding.

• Like 1

thanks, I think this job is somewhat beyond me, I've no meter and don't really understand what all that means, I've only ever changed pickups etc in passive basses before, I'll see if my sound engineer can help with this one, he works as a tech for a vintage guitar shop. I reckon trying to save the £ could end up costing more if I mess it up!

1 hour ago, gafbass02 said:

thanks, I think this job is somewhat beyond me, I've no meter and don't really understand what all that means, I've only ever changed pickups etc in passive basses before, I'll see if my sound engineer can help with this one, he works as a tech for a vintage guitar shop. I reckon trying to save the £ could end up costing more if I mess it up!

Nothing hard there - when you decide to do it, take a picture of the PCB that has the switch on then people on here can answer you. On the other hand, if you have someone to do it for you that always makes life easier!

• Thanks 1