Why become a member? ×

Venue Questions

gapiro

Hi Chaps
I've somehow become organiser for a band suddenly due to personnell changes - one of the things I've learnt before is to get in touch and be friendly with the venue beforehand (This is primarily wedding venues)
I was wondering if people could complile questions they would ask a venue?
I've got
Sound limiter
Access times
Timings (eg can we access it from a particular time beforehand etc to set up PA)
Size of space ( in order to judge PA requirements)
Any lighting fixtures etc already on the stage area?

Edited by gapiro

agreed - it's a very different set of questions if you're dealing direct with a pub/club manager than if you are dealing with a promoter. Also makes a difference if it's just you playing or if there will be other bands on the night.

You're on the right lines though - your main questions are to be clear on what gear you need to bring and what time you need to bring it.

I'd also suggest asking about parking & loading - venues tend to be quite uninformative about the fact that they are on a dual carriageway and you'll have to lump the gear in from two miles away, or that you can park in a loading bay but will have to pay to leave your van in the multi-storey over the road while you're playing.

We always do a recce in advance if it's possible.
With the best will in the world most pub staff won't see it from a band's point of view and therefore might miss some real difficulties.
I'm sure we've all got horror stories.
Landlady " power sockets? I'm sure we used to have some behind this sofa".

money and drinks rider. get that sorted. Preferably money up front if it's not based on percentages of drinks sold. *

Ask when you can soundcheck coz most pubs serve meals right about when the band usually sets up

make friends with the security staff.

* if you're getting a cut of the bar, be like us and have a LOT of alcoholics as friends :)

[quote name='gapiro' timestamp='1496301887' post='3310259']
Sorry- I missed context - I'm talking Wedding Venues largely!
[/quote]

Generally I make a site visit as part of our wedding package. Meet with the client and the event organiser at the venue where you can see for yourself what you are dealing with. Questions usually arise from the visit.

We had a gig cancelled after the venue got in touch a week or two before the event and asked whether we would need any electricity....when I explained that if they wanted to her anything more than drums, we would, it became too much trouble for them!

If venues as what we need, I usually tell them some room, at least one 13 amp power outlet, and an audience.

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1496302043' post='3310262']
Generally I make a site visit as part of our wedding package. Meet with the client and the event organiser at the venue where you can see for yourself what you are dealing with. Questions usually arise from the visit.
[/quote]

Assuming it's anything other than a village hall, this.

I've only ever done a couple (the bands I've been in aren't function bands but you'd be surprised at how keen men of a certain age are to have an evening of punk covers at their wedding. The brides, less so) but the venue will/should be used to this as part of the arrangements. You just need to turn up when it suits everybody, have a look around where you'll be playing to check for power sockets, etc, and ask whether they have any in house PA & lighting or whether you need to bring your own.

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1496302043' post='3310262']
[/quote]
Normally, I'd agree - the particular venue in a couple of weeks isn't open except for functions any more - its a community project place so entirely run by volunteers and thus just can't arrange a visit.

[quote name='gapiro' timestamp='1496310940' post='3310371']
Normally, I'd agree - the particular venue in a couple of weeks isn't open except for functions any more - its a community project place so entirely run by volunteers and thus just can't arrange a visit.
[/quote]

That sucks.... well I guess you need to try and ascertain as much info prior to the gig from the venue. make a list and give them a call.