Why become a member? ×

"He has no internal rhythm" - how can you teach this?

JimBobTTD

[quote name='spike' timestamp='1496236285' post='3309780']
If several band members need to come in in the right place, do they need to queue for a cue?
[/quote]

It would be even worse if the gig was in a snooker club...

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1496233460' post='3309745']
Am I allowed to pedantically suggest that it should be 'cue', as in 'that's when to come in', rather than 'queue', where one waits in line to get served..? Just sayin', no malice intended. B)
[/quote]

Haha.....
Segue, Cue, you are always 'on it', Dad !!
:D

I once heard a 'Newbie' MC at a function, ask the bandleader to play a 'Funfair' before the Bride and Groom entered the room.

Have you ever thought of putting together a series of videos regarding this, as a sticky, maybe ?
Maybe like this ?
:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYQWjgnKbFA

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1496173754' post='3309373']
Our ex-singer often used to ask us to go up half a semitone. I actually bought a fretless just to piss her off!
[/quote]

That was not very nice from her.
I mean, was she capable of taking it up the Octave ?

[quote name='Monkey Steve' timestamp='1496237110' post='3309791']
see this this is exactly why it became a running joke that means I'll always use the wrong spelling...
[/quote]

It's taken me several years to get used to 'teh', or 'TIM' (and I still wake at nights, mumbling and shivering, at times...), and now there's a new one to provoke ripples in this millpond. :( Oh, well... :rolleyes: :facepalm:

I one played with a drummer like that, a technically brilliant player with the 'slight disadvantage' of having no sense of rhythm (we put up with him as long as we could because he was a bit of a character, but it still didn't last).

Anyway, myself and the 2 guitarists were chatting at the bar after a gig one night and another drummer friend of mine came up and said to us "You three have got to stop going into those changes too early".

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1496237355' post='3309796']
That was not very nice from her.
I mean, was she capable of taking it up the Octave ?
[/quote]

:blink: :blink: Further comments from me are likely to be harmful to my health!

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1496244190' post='3309885']
Twelve semitones.
Somewhere over the Rainbow.

Sorry if I caused offence, wasn't intended.
[/quote]

No offence caused, far from it, but sometimes I remember the power of a google search!

I doubt it can be taught. You can feel the music and feel the measures without being technically good, if you have to count everything in your head cos you cant feel the changes you are always going to struggle to perform the song.

Thanks for the comments, folks.

A little update:

We met on Tuesday evening and went through the setlist. It was apparent that the singer had put in a good amount of work to learn the lyrics, structure and feel of the songs. He still came in at the wrong moment a few times and struggled to place the "woo" in My Sharona in the correct place, but he was far more open to a bit of teaching.

All in all, I think the drummer's judgement was a little harsh and a little hasty, albeit not entirely unfounded.

The gig is on. Fingers crossed that it goes well and I don't end up feeling like a wally.

forget a metronome...
attach a car battery to him via a foot switch you can control..
pos+ to his ear
Neg- to his toe
"now look, this is a 4/4 beat"

If this does not work, then the baseball bat method usually works ok,
tho produces a bit more of a rash.

And if this does not work, usually noted by yourself needing a bag of lime and a spade,
then it might be time to think about trying someone else.
it works well with drummers, anyway. :)

Edited by funkgod