Why become a member? ×

Single coil hum - worse in cities?

Al Krow

I A/B'd some basses recently and the hum / buzz on the single coil basses was VERY noticeable when compared to a double coil / humbucker. Interestingly my mate said he did not have the same issue when he played at home, which is outside London.

Don't know if the fact that his was an older generation bass(circa 2000)would have made a difference i.e. does coil hum get worse over time?

Just wondering whether others have noticed a difference between being playing in cities, particularly e.g. London with tube / train lines never too far away?

Perhaps another illustration of this is that the hum on our guitarist's single coil PUP Fender Strat is particularly noticeable when my band has rehearsed in studios under railway arches.

Is there a straightforward solution to this which does not effect the tone of the bass or require a different set of PUPs? If not, I think choosing the humbucker rather than single coil option (or at least a combination single coil J plus humbucker) on a replacement bass will need to be part of the equation for me.

Cheers AK

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1495267094' post='3302508']
I A/B'd some basses recently and the hum / buzz on the single coil basses was VERY noticeable when compared to a double coil / humbucker. Interestingly my mate said he did not have the same issue when he played at home, which is outside London.

Don't know if the fact that his was an older generation bass(circa 2000)would have made a difference i.e. does coil hum get worse over time?

Just wondering whether others have noticed a difference between being playing in cities, particularly e.g. London with tube / train lines never too far away?

Perhaps another illustration of this is that the hum on our guitarist's single coil PUP Fender Strat is particularly noticeable when my band has rehearsed in studios under railway arches.

Is there a straightforward solution to this which does not effect the tone of the bass or require a different set of PUPs? If not, I think choosing the humbucker rather than single coil option (or at least a combination single coil J plus humbucker) on a replacement bass will need to be part of the equation for me.

Cheers AK
[/quote]

Have you got fluorescent lighting under the arches? I'd say there is a fair chance that a low ceiling with those would be more suspect whilst not discounting trackside equipment interference completely. Also, are you sure you haven't got an earth loop in there somewhere? We were chatting about bridge grounding at the bass bash last week and there are things you can do to get an improvement.

I am quite sure someone will be along with that shortly.

Biggest hummer is fluorescent lighting. Tube trains as such won't produce hum, they run on DC. Clicks and thumps maybe, if you're very close...Power lines, including overhead electrified railways, yes. Some of the worst hum-inducing gear is in fact on big stages with large lighting rigs.

If you want to get rid of the hum on your Jazz complertely...you can't, without mods. Making sure your bass wiring is correct often leads to big improvements. Shielding can help. Otherwise - single coils hum. Ye cannae change the laws o' physics, Captain!

I have to confess to being Al K's mate. :)

The basses in question that hummed were Warwick Corvettes (so Jazz bass style)

The control cavity in the 4 stringer actually also has ali lining fitted. At home it does hum when we'e using the microwave, washing machine etc.

It would also make sense for it to hum when there are old switch-start fluorescents. Newer HF fluorescents wouldn't have the same effect. Another interference can be lighting dimmer controls.

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1495275952' post='3302627']
I understand that more modern Tube trains (92 onwards) whilst using a 630v DC traction supply have inverters onboard as they have AC motors.
[/quote]

Sorry but i have to ask how you know that :lol: :lol: :lol:
Train and bass geekiness methinks.
Dave

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1495270566' post='3302554']
Dimmer switches cause a lot of noise too, even in my village!

That noise gets multiplied tenfold if you have a faulty or poorly shielded cable somewhere in your chain.
[/quote]

This is my experience.

I find my Precision Lyte (P/J configuration) used to hum in older theatres, rather than more recent ones. The techs always said it was my bass/ amp but it didn't do it all the time. Got a Fender Noiseless jazz p/u fitted and seems to be the answer, although still occasionally hums a bit, aaaargh......

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1495275952' post='3302627']
I understand that more modern Tube trains (92 onwards) whilst using a 630v DC traction supply have inverters onboard as they have AC motors.
[/quote]
Indeed, but that won't generate the same level of interference as power lines. Some though, some.

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1495311027' post='3302948']

Yes, me too...
:D
[/quote]

Worked on the Tube from the age of 16 and qualified as an Electrical Engineer.....although really my day (or night) job is an electrician ;)

Edited by Number6