Why become a member? ×

Randy Crawford's funky classic.

bubinga5

My favourite, slick, upbeat version of this classic. The drumming, the sax and keys solo's are just superb. Everything about this is great. Fantastic music. Such a great groove. imo

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnNyxy7XPfs[/media]

Edited by bubinga5

Candi Staton occupies the same niche in my memory. So much so that I thought they were they same artist for a brief moment on seeing your post. My memory throws me a curved ball more often these days. Must be the mercury in my fillings finally doing its thing to my brain!

Randy and Candi - wow! They're both chock full of soul. Street Life was evocative and atmospheric to my youthful self. Candi's Young Hearts Run Free was a reassurance in musical form that it was okay to leave home for the first time.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlXKfFPx7po[/media]

Love 'em both. No-one's covered the songs better, as I've heard.

Edited by SpondonBassed

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1494070664' post='3293007']
Randy Crawford was lucky to have The Crusaders as her band for that - doesn't get much better!
[/quote]

Crusaders where quite lucky to have the guest artists they did fronting them - Randy Crawford, Bill Withers, BB King, Joe Cocker, Hugh Masekela. Wouldn't kick any of those out of my band!

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1494074736' post='3293034']
Crusaders where quite lucky to have the guest artists they did fronting them - Randy Crawford, Bill Withers, BB King, Joe Cocker, Hugh Masekela. Wouldn't kick any of those out of my band!
[/quote]

In fairness, the Crusaders (previously the Jazz Crusaders) were a world renowned band long before they started having guest artists "fronting" them. It is not as though they (the Crusaders) needed the exposure that such artists bring.

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1494076491' post='3293054']
In fairness, the Crusaders (previously the Jazz Crusaders) were a world renowned band long before they started having guest artists "fronting" them. It is not as though they (the Crusaders) needed the exposure that such artists bring.
[/quote]

It was extra nice that they worked together then.

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1494076491' post='3293054']
[/quote]

I was really making the point that the relationship between them and their guests was symbiotic, and that they were as lucky working with Randy Crawford and she was working with them. Oh, and thanks for the history lesson, but I thought you may have realised from the mention of Hugh Masekela (who the Jazz Crusaders backed on his US number 1 Grazing in the Grass) that I would have known who this "world renowned band was.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1494018344' post='3292709']
My favourite, slick, upbeat version of this classic. The drumming, the sax and keys solo's are just superb. Everything about this is great. Fantastic music. Such a great groove. imo

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnNyxy7XPfs[/media]
[/quote]playing this one tonight

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1494074736' post='3293034']

[/quote]
Yup, works both ways!