Why become a member? ×

Tecamp Puma - Tell me more..........

Deedee

4 hours ago, Deedee said:

I’ll be using Tecamp blackface cabs - XS115 (300 watt) and a S115 (400 watt)

In that case, you’ll be absolutely fine with the Puma 500. If you find yourself playing the kind of gig where the 500 and 2x15 Tecamp cabs isn’t enough to hear yourself, you should be running through the PA anyway! You’ll likely be able to get away with just one of the cabs for small/medium gigs - two of them will sound great.

20 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

In that case, you’ll be absolutely fine with the Puma 500. If you find yourself playing the kind of gig where the 500 and 2x15 Tecamp cabs isn’t enough to hear yourself, you should be running through the PA anyway! You’ll likely be able to get away with just one of the cabs for small/medium gigs - two of them will sound great.

Happy days ?.  Many thanks for the info

23 hours ago, tubbybloke68 said:

My puma 900 has been my go to head for the last 2/3 years.havn’t a bad word to say about it in all honesty.very versatile,small,powerful and reliable.currently using it with a bb2 and it kicks derrière! Highly recommended sir 

Many thanks ?

13 hours ago, Deedee said:

Puma 500 incoming   :D

I strongly suspect you’ll love it! I forgot to mention that the 900 is the only one in the range that has a cooling fan. The bonus of the 300 and 500 is that they don’t have cooling fans so they run silent all the time! 

• Thanks 1

Played my first gig with the Puma last night.  First impressions?  Wow ?

Decided to take just one cab (the S115) and was playing my 70’s reissue P with ‘62 Custom Shop pickup fitted.  It wasn’t a huge room but for balance had a small amount of bass going through the PA.  The sound was full, rich with oodles of power on tap.  A few of my muso mates were there and they all commented on how great bass sounded (and were also all shocked when they saw the size of the box the bass sound was emanating from).

What I also found amazing was that Puma was almost stone cold at the end of the night after being on for 4 hours!

All in all, I’m over the moon with it and it’s exceeded my expectations by a long way.  Second gig tonight and very much looking forward to it.

Thanks again for all the info along the way guys.

D241A940-6473-4E9D-8B93-3853F067E79F.jpeg

• Thanks 1

On 11/28/2017 at 11:32, CameronJ said:

I strongly suspect you’ll love it! I forgot to mention that the 900 is the only one in the range that has a cooling fan. The bonus of the 300 and 500 is that they don’t have cooling fans so they run silent all the time! 

Early 900s (like mine) don't have one either - I put one in, with guidance from Thomas Eich, as I thought I might have an overheating issue (I didn't).

On 25/11/2017 at 17:54, Deedee said:

The temptation to scratch the Puma itch may be rising again! :dash1:

What are users thoughts on the power difference between the 500 and 900?  Is the 500 ample for most situations or is it worth holding out for its big brother?

I use a 500w Tecamp Black Jag. I assume it's basically a Puma with some whistles and bells. I use it through a 4ohm 2x12 cab and it has more grunt than I would ever need. If you need more volume on stage than this you need to go through the PA because this thing will fry your ears.

On 04/12/2017 at 13:21, Japhet said:

I use a 500w Tecamp Black Jag. I assume it's basically a Puma with some whistles and bells. I use it through a 4ohm 2x12 cab and it has more grunt than I would ever need. If you need more volume on stage than this you need to go through the PA because this thing will fry your ears.

Truth!

• 6 months later...

I'm loving my Puma 500. It just sounds great. Small and light, but not light enough it drifts off the cab while playing...

I originally wanted the 900 as I was playing in a mightily loud metal band, but the 500 came in a good price so I went with it, and it has always been plenty loud enough with room to spare.

When gigging the EQ is usually set flat, as it seems to suit my bass and sounds great. Question - is the 'flat' setting voiced?

2 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

When gigging the EQ is usually set flat, as it seems to suit my bass and sounds great. Question - is the 'flat' setting voiced?

All instrument amps are voiced to some degree, otherwise there would be nothing to choose between them.

Before I ditched my Puma in favour of a Line6 Helix and RCF745, I was using it in two different bands, and kept all the tone controls at 12 o'clock, using just the "Taste" control on either slightly "Dry" for one band and slightly "Rich" for the other.