Why become a member? ×

Basic EQ settings

la bam

Hi all,

Im currently rehashing my zoom b3 and getting some great sounds in the house already.

However, as we all know once loud and with a drummer, good sounds can get lost.

So, in preperation im thinking of programming between 3-6 patches using just an eq pedal as a base to start from (would be useful for tricky venues sound wise too).

Im going to use the 7 band eq on the zoom b3, so the question is: If you had to program several presets eq wise - what would they be? (the idea being that at least one of those would suit any band or room - given a certain amount of flexibility).

Edited by la bam

You're probably better to just make a patch that suits each room when you get there, maybe in the sound check. Each room will be different and even the same room will change depending on the number of people in it. Just my experience of 30 years playing live. Just be flexible.

Im just thinking of a few basic settings that i can store in the pedal and take with me. Then a quick flick through them in each room, find the most suited, and just tweak from there.

Its not essential, just might be a good idea.

Anything you do now is just guessing, probably time wasted and will likely not work anything like you expect with a band, in a different room and with totally different dynamics in your playing.

As BassBus says, sort out your sound when you get there.

Less is usually more with eq settings, i.e. don't massively boost some frequencies and then make a big cut of others as you'll end up with a hole in your sound - some notes will be be really loud and others will be inaudible in the mix. Keep the pattern on the eq setting smooth, not spiky!

Also, don't be tempted to cut the middle frequencies out of whatever tones you eventually settle on.
The bass sounds great on it's own with the mid range scooped out, but when you use that sound in the mix you'll struggle to hear yourself and to cut through.

And don't just keep boosting frequencies, remember to cut them too - for example, sometimes if you want more presence it's better to cut back some bass and/or mid range rather than boost the high end which usually just adds more hiss and noise to your tone.

These days I tend to play with the eq flat and only make small adjustments for the room if they are required, e.g. cut a bit of bass if the room is booming or add a little bit of treble if things are a bit mushy. The bass may not sound very exciting with a flat eq compared to a scooped sound, but you will have no problem hearing yourself in the mix.

Hope this helps :)

Cheers all.
I have set up the following:
1. Flat.
2. +6 boost.
3. -6 cut.
4. Smiley face.
5. Inverted smiley face.
6. +3 boost.
7. -3 cut.
8. Low boost only.
9. Mid boost only.
10.high boost only.

Just playing in the house through my abm the results are surprising!

Favourite at the moment is the -3 cut across the range. (Although I know it's just in the house with no drummer).