Why become a member? ×

Help choosing a new cab.

Mr Fudge

My head is the Markbass SA450. I have been putting it through my Ashdown 4x10 cab with reasonably good results. My question is what would people suggest to marry up the head that may really put my sound to the next level. I like my 10's to be honest and wondered if there is a suitable 2x10 that would give the same uummphh. I like the idea of lightweight but the markgass 2x10 I tried was disappointed with.

I suppose my main question is "Is there a really good 2x10 about or is there no getting away from a 4x10?" I hae no beef with Ashdown gear but have a lack of experience with lots of other makes.

cheers.

If you're happy with the sound of your Ashdown, assuming it's 8 ohm and assuming you don't have a big budget, I'd start by adding a 2x10 (a used Ashdown?). You can then use either cab separately or together and 6 10's should really give you something to think about.
There is/was an Epifani UL410 for sale here on BC. In my opinion this would lift you into another league.

[quote name='chris_b' post='313910' date='Oct 24 2008, 03:52 PM']If you're happy with the sound of your Ashdown, assuming it's 8 ohm and assuming you don't have a big budget, I'd start by adding a 2x10 (a used Ashdown?). You can then use either cab separately or together and 6 10's should really give you something to think about.[/quote]

I agree. a 4x10 and a 2x10 is a very versatile and splittable set-up.

Spending hundreds of pounds on some of the upmarket makes is fine - it's your brass. It isn't automatic , though, that the different league you may expect by doing so will be a better sounding one to your ears.

duly shifted.

I can recommend EBS neo cabs, I've had compliments on mine and I know other EBS players have as well. Plus, they're SUPER light. But I don't think the 2x10 on its own would be enough.

I've personally found most 2x10 cabs generally too boomy - even stacked. However a pair of Acme 2x10 cabs were definite exceptions and great value second hand if you can upgrade to a more powerful amp (400w minimum needed per cab).

The GK RBH cabs are also worth looking at - not a lot of difference in sound between a 2x10 and a 1x15, both very solid and tight sounding if you can handle the weight of them.

A 2x10 and 1x15 set up is a nice match too, broad frequency response with a nice mid-hump if you get a 2x10 that is loosened up nicely.

I bought one of these a couple of months back to use with my Superfly for when i dont need the big rig;

[url="http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop/flypage/product_id/37072"]http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop/flypage/product_id/37072[/url]

Sounds great, very defined and punchy but holds the lows nicelyand pretty light being neos so easy on the back and being 4 ohm you would get full power from your LM, should give one a try if you can.

Thanks for the input. I really need to get off my backside and try a few different cabs is probably a short answer. I do like the idea of adding another ashdown 2x10 to my existing 4x10 and having the flexibility of 2 rigs.

So the next question is. Will 6x10 ashdown cut the mustard in comparison with more pricey 4x10's. For example would the epifani/ zoot/ Dr Bass et al 4x10 really blow away 6x10 ashdown?

I am a believer in you get what you pay for most of the time. Is this true with higher end 4x10, or would the difference with an ashdown 6x10 negligible???

cheers.

Just my two penneth...

I have just bought 2 peavey tour 210 Neo 2x 10 cabs. They are 800watts program at 8 ohm. They cost £439 per cab brand new :) Being Neo cabs they are ultra light.

I think they sound incredible... when I tried them I was massively impressed - they wipe the floor with the new trace elliot stuff that I tried thats for sure!

[quote name='Mr Fudge' post='314484' date='Oct 25 2008, 01:15 PM']Thanks for the input. I really need to get off my backside and try a few different cabs is probably a short answer. I do like the idea of adding another ashdown 2x10 to my existing 4x10 and having the flexibility of 2 rigs.

So the next question is. Will 6x10 ashdown cut the mustard in comparison with more pricey 4x10's. For example would the epifani/ zoot/ Dr Bass et al 4x10 really blow away 6x10 ashdown?

I am a believer in you get what you pay for most of the time. Is this true with higher end 4x10, or would the difference with an ashdown 6x10 negligible???

cheers.[/quote]
Only you can decide whether you prefer the sould of an Ashdown 6x10 to say the EBS Proline 410 I mentioned before.

[quote name='KiLLaGoD' post='314499' date='Oct 25 2008, 01:50 PM']I have just bought 2 peavey tour 210 Neo 2x 10 cabs. They are 800watts program at 8 ohm. They cost £439 per cab brand new :) Being Neo cabs they are ultra light.[/quote]

You'll be pleased to know they've gone down in price - by £80 a cab !

[url="http://www.bigdiscountwarehouse.co.uk/catalogue.asp?deptid=13&catid=56"]http://www.bigdiscountwarehouse.co.uk/cata...13&catid=56[/url]

Edited by fleabag

[quote name='KiLLaGoD' post='314499' date='Oct 25 2008, 12:50 PM']They are 800watts program at 8 ohm.[/quote]
If AlexClaber sees you typing that, you'll be sorry. :)

+1 on the EBS Neo212. Its my only cab, super sensitive so you can use it with 100w heads as well as 600w heads. Just wish the bracing inside it was a little sturdier so it didn't vibrate as much.