Why become a member? ×

What Multi-effect pedal??

MoJoKe

The only thing I am noticing with the 708II is that it seems to be degrading my signal, even in standby.

It doesn't matter whether I am using a passive or active bass, if I put the zoom between my bass and my MB151 combo, it makes the signal muddy and a bit distorted.... Plug directly in and it is all fine.

Is that normal? If so, I don't like it!!

theres enough sticky threads already i think, any more and it would come to cluttered. the same could be said for distortion threads n the like. people are just gunna have to use the search function, either that or mods will have to lock new threads early on and link to an existing thread

[quote name='MoJoKe' post='324579' date='Nov 7 2008, 11:07 PM']The only thing I am noticing with the 708II is that it seems to be degrading my signal, even in standby.

It doesn't matter whether I am using a passive or active bass, if I put the zoom between my bass and my MB151 combo, it makes the signal muddy and a bit distorted.... Plug directly in and it is all fine.

Is that normal? If so, I don't like it!![/quote]

Unfortunately, the '708' does degrade the signal.
It is noticable when playing on your own, but maybe not when playing with a band?
That newer B2 unit doesn't seem to suffer with this problem.

[quote name='BassManKev' post='324748' date='Nov 8 2008, 11:53 AM']theres enough sticky threads already i think, any more and it would come to cluttered. the same could be said for distortion threads n the like. people are just gunna have to use the search function, either that or mods will have to lock new threads early on and link to an existing thread[/quote]

I disagree there is only 3 stickys at the top of the effects forum .

I do see your point though.

I have a Zoom 708 (not the II) & it is a good pedal for the money (@£25). Now the sounds arn't studio quality & she sound from my bass does suffer if I pop it into bypass, but like is said, when playing live it isn't noticed & the fx are very useable. Even the synth sounds can be used.
The octaver is about as good as the boss stand alone oc3 or whatever it's called (anything low sounds like a flabby elastic band) but everything is very useable.

I'm looking for whether to go down a quality multi pedal, which is why this forum interests me loads, or if I should start building a pedal collection.
The advantage I find with multiboxes is presets.

How about a sticky section for all the stickies to go in? Sorry, I'll leave just now :)

[quote name='Mr.T' post='324789' date='Nov 8 2008, 01:44 PM']Unfortunately, the '708' does degrade the signal.
It is noticable when playing on your own, but maybe not when playing with a band?
That newer B2 unit doesn't seem to suffer with this problem.[/quote]

Funnily enough, I noticed how bad this was at a rehearsal the other night. The problem is my Markbass is so effin good that anything slightly out of sorts will be heard....

PS. Do I get a special sticky prize, for being made officially sticky (knew I was anyway, but no harm in affirmation from ones peers!)?

[quote name='cheddatom' post='325854' date='Nov 10 2008, 12:36 PM']If you're happy with the 708 but want better quality, try a B2.1U![/quote]

+1

The B2.1u is (in my opinion) exceptionally clean and quiet.... as well as being very versatile.
I just don't like the display, so I don't use mine.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've just recently done something I never thought I'd do: jack in my pedal board for a multi, the Zoom B9.1ut, a unit that for once has the hallmarks of having a bass player involved in the design :) Once I'd started making my own presets - some of the factory presets are comedy - it started to sound great and I'm now convinced that I've made the right move! It's dead easy to programme and the sounds are rich and fat. Features include clean blend and ability to eq each effect with an independant eq - hooray. The front end had a crap Chinese valve that I've replaced with a Mullard - nice. Thoroughly recommended and a million miles away from the hideous tone-sucking multi I owned years ago... o

• 1 month later...

I sold my ME-50B because of the lag when switching patches. It's only milliseconds, but it mattered live.

Does the B2.1U suffer any lag when switching patches?

Would the B2.1U with its XLR output serve as a replacement for my VXL Bass Attack (I use it as a DI live)? I love my VXL, and would be happy to keep it as well as a B2.1U if I did get one, but if the B2.1U can function as well as the VXL as a DI, [i]and[/i] has decent tone control, it'd be a simpler set-up with just one machine.

How's the tuner in the B2.1U? I assume it has one? Would it be a match for my DT-10?

Is there a compressor in the B2.1U? Is it any good?

Thanks,

Mark

There's no lag on any of the new Zoom units AFAIK. The tuner is good, the compressor is good (but that's subjective). I've never been able to get the XLR output on mine going, but I only tried after i'd dropped it quite hard which also made the switches quite unreliable.

I love the sounds, the interface, the switching, the tuner, but I will have to put some heavy duty off-board switches on it to gig it again (which I will do). Perhaps someone else can help RE the XLR.

A couple more questions . . .

Can the B2.1U be powered by phantom power into its XLR output, or just by batteries/PSU?

The manual doesn't say, all it says is this:

"[b][BALANCED OUT] connector[/b]
This XLR connector can be used to
send a balanced line-level signal to
PA equipment, recording devices, or
similar."

How relevant is the inclusion of Cubase LE software? After buying a B2.1U, am I immediately in a position to record bass, guitars, vocals (assuming I have thise instruments)?

Thanks,

Mark

Edited by Phaedrus

:rolleyes:
I really dont think you want to try and send a 48v Phantom Power supply into any unit via an XLR Output.
The XLR output won't accept Phantom Power into the the unit, as it's not a Mic Preamp.
You quoted the answer after your question :)

Phantom Power is to power Condenser Mics and not a way to provide pedals with 9volt power over an XLR out Edited by Wud

[quote name='Phaedrus' post='632266' date='Oct 21 2009, 12:06 PM']How's the tuner in the B2.1U? I assume it has one? Would it be a match for my DT-10?

Is there a compressor in the B2.1U? Is it any good?

Thanks,

Mark[/quote]

I used to own the B2.1U. The Tuner is very good. To my ears, just as accurate as the Korg.

The compressor is less good. I tended to run mine with a seperate compressor (in my case the BBE opto-stomp).

Otherwise, the Zoom is very good, and easily the best value for money out there IMO. Its also very solidly built - I regulalrly used mine live without any trouble.