Why become a member? ×

Barefaced FR800 PA?

itsmedunc

We often use our own PA which is an HK Elias PX. 1.6k but loud as hell for it's size and sounds great.

This PA lives upstairs at mine and I end up moving it up and down, to gigs etc mostly on my own. This has been going on with differing PA's for over 10 years! To be honest the Elias is the most most compact PA we've ever had but I'm getting rather P'd of with it all. Other members basically refuse to store any of it!

Question - Would a pair of FR800's be a suitable replacement? A 5 piece band would be going through it. Drums, 2 guitars, bass and 4 vocals? Max 200 people audience. I'm not a great fan of subs anyway as I think things (sound to me) get a bit muffled and wooly but adding one or two FH800s' later on is an option.

I'm hoping for positives!

Edited by itsmedunc

[quote name='itsmedunc' timestamp='1491087668' post='3270485']
We often use our own PA which is an HK Elias PX. 1.6k but loud as hell for it's size and sounds great.

This PA lives upstairs at mine and I end up moving it up and down, to gigs etc mostly on my own. This has been going on with differing PA's for over 10 years! To be honest the Elias is the most most compact PA we've ever had but I'm getting rather P'd of with it all. Other members basically refuse to store any of it!

Question - Would a pair of FR800's be a suitable replacement? A 5 piece band would be going through it. Drums, 2 guitars, bass and 4 vocals? Max 200 people audience. I'm not a great fan of subs anyway as I think things (sound to me) get a bit muffled and wooly but adding one or two FH800s' later on is an option.

I'm hoping for positives!
[/quote]

Previous thread on the subject http://basschat.co.uk/topic/293250-barefaced-fr800-anyone-with-experience/page__hl__fr800

Bluejay & I were at The Village Inn in Ealing last night to hear 51m0n's band (Mr. Superjuice). Their PA is a pair of FR800s, though they have full backline too.

The sound is undeniably very good indeed and I was well impressed.

Only fair to point out that Si is a very competent sound engineer and they did a proper sound check an'all, so the band were definitely getting the best out of their rig.

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1491148101' post='3270813']
I think there is a thread on here somewhere about this, I'll see if i can find it..
[/quote]

Thanks for that. Some good information there. This plan of mine is heading the BF route!

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1491148168' post='3270814']
The barefaced lf800 is 30lbs..
[/quote]I did look at these , But I thought they were a bit to light if pols with top speakers were fitted they might be top heavy & I didn't understand the gobbledygook on the back of the cabs , The EV have a cross over that matches my PA mixer & they can be stacked .

• 5 weeks later...

Old topic I guess, but here's a video of my band recently with the audio recorded 2 channel out front with a Zoom H4n sat on the top of the bar's old stylee glass shelf about 8ft from the PA hard over to the left PA cab (hence the guitar is a little quiet being panned right). Obviously thats not where the video was recorded from ;)

The entire 7 piece band goes through the 2 FR800s via a Behringer XR18 - although most of the bass guitar is in fact coming from my rig I still put a little through FOH so I don't end up with too much on stage.

Its a tiny stage but a long throw to the far wall, we get a lot of comments about the sound quality from all the way to the back of the room

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPecEhgx7Go

Apologies for the cock-ups ;)

If you want to spend on a powered sub, the Fohhn XS30 is just 29kg and includes a 1500w stereo power amp and digital signal processing. Hell of a piece of kit. Drives an additional passive sub and two tops. Love mine.