Why become a member? ×

Fender Deacon-ification MkII. Late 70's - Mid 80's era.

Dood

You may remember my previous Deacon Bass incarnation [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/87360-deacon-ification-fender-cij-non-export-70s-pbass/page__p__838020__hl__fender%20cij__fromsearch__1#entry838020"]HERE[/url] . Apologies for the missing pictures. I seem to have deleted them by mistake. I will see what I can do about reinstating those.

Sadly the Bass in question found a new home. I would dearly love to buy it back, but alas being a Dad again means that I am mainly selling things these days. Still, an opportunity arose to do another version for a reasonable price so I thought I'd make a thread about it.

The first version as you will have seen was the 1986 onward era where John Deacon appeared with his nice shiny P Bass with a black finish and gold hardware. Very tasty indeed! Deaconification Mk1 was a close replication of the bass (yeah, I know I should have fitted the Schaller 3D bridge in the end!) in question.

So, here goes. In the latter part of the 70's and I don't have an exact date, John Deacon removed the sunburst finish from his two main Precision basses. His 'main instrument' had a 70's TV logo (I believe it was called) and that is the one (and the look) I am copying. A bit of a Wetton thing going on too!

Here's a few pictures of the man himself:

And shortly I will be posting some pictures of my own MkII all complete!

Unfortunately, I don't have a couple of the original Martin blue 'H' hard plectrums that John used to use to stick in to my pickguard, but I have a super nice couple of D'addario plectrums that are kinda the same colour!

I'm very pleased with the sound of the bass and that's got to be to do with the Dimarzio Will Power P pickup, although I would have preferred to have a pickup with the pole pieces on view maybe? - I *may* go for a vintage bridge at some point too, but I really like the Gotoh one on board at the moment.

Finally, I must add a huge thank you to Jon Shuker over at ShukerGuitars.co.uk for helping me as he sourced the premium Alder and expertly sculpted in to a classic P body to match the Fender neck I had already. I've been tweaking the set up over the last week or so and it's sounding every bit like a great Precision Bass should. Great mids, a nice heft in the sound and it resonates like a beast!

Hope you like the pics!

Dooood

Edited by dood

[quote name='stearstree1304' timestamp='1491293506' post='3271797']
That looks really nice - Am I right in thinking there is no finish of any sort on the body??
[/quote]
[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1491296084' post='3271824']
Lovely, I've though about doing the same thing in the past; I love the 'stripped' look on Fenders, and I'm very fond of Deacon's sound and playing, along with Geezer Butler, who I think had a similar looking bass.

I have the same question- what is the bass finished with, if anything? I has a nice colour and satin look to it!
[/quote]

Thank you!

It looks naked doesn't it? Mr Shuker is a bit good isn't he? That's a very hard wearing yet thin satin finish! I've just been playing it this morning through my amp in my studio space and it was all about the smiles! Just a rich resonant sound, yet backing off the tone control gives me a tasty vintage thump!

• 2 weeks later...

Looks great! I hate the idea of spending so much money on a pickguard but looking at deacon's original in the pics, a Spitfire would really give it that edge.

The one piece Alder looks really smart too. Jon's done a great job :-)

Thank you!

I should add that the neck is an official Fender product. I would most definitely have not even thought about asking Jon to make a Shuker with another name on the headstock. I had the piece already, along with all the parts. It sounds great, You know when you pick up an instrument which acoustically sounds alive? Yeah, that! He then did the magic with a tub full of kit and delivered this lovely bass!

Edited by dood

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='luckman67' timestamp='1494447314' post='3296130']
That looks great.
[/quote]

Thank you! When the sun comes out again, I'll endeavour to do some clearer pictures!

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1495194308' post='3302035']
Very nice. Reminds me of my old Encore- my first 'proper' bass! Except mine had gold hardware.
Any tribute to JD deserves applause as far as I'm concerned - monster player.
[/quote]

Thank you indeed! Ive been really pleased with this one tonally. It has a heft and a brightness to it that my other P basses do not.

• 3 weeks later...