Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

12 minutes ago, mrtcat said:

I have three [1024s] now...

How did that happen?!! 

Did you manage to buy a couple whilst you weren't looking? Got home and thought "oh yes that's another 1024, great bass, I've got a couple of those already"?

Reminds me of when I would pop into a record store (remember doing that anyone?) and think "yup, I'm sure I'll really enjoy that album". Well err...yes, I'd already previously bought a copy which was sitting on my CD rack so clearly it was music I was going to like!

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

How did that happen?!! 

Did you manage to buy a couple whilst you weren't looking? Got home and thought "oh yes that's another 1024, great bass, I've got a couple of those already"?

Reminds me of when I would pop into a record store (remember doing that anyone?) and think "yup, I'm sure I'll really enjoy that album". Well err...yes, I'd already previously bought a copy which was sitting on my CD rack so clearly it was music I was going to like!

Haha, I bought one and loved it so I bought a second one as a backup. I forgot to remove my post in "Items Wanted" and someone approached me with another which was the exact colour I'd really wanted from the start and at a good price -  so I bought that too. All three are pretty much mint too. I'd keep all three but kinda need to free up some cash. 

2 hours ago, mrtcat said:

Haha, I bought one and loved it so I bought a second one as a backup. I forgot to remove my post in "Items Wanted" and someone approached me with another which was the exact colour I'd really wanted from the start and at a good price -  so I bought that too. All three are pretty much mint too. I'd keep all three but kinda need to free up some cash. 

So what was this favourite colour of yours then? (My money is on white simply 'cos that's my Yammy colour of choice! :) ) There seemed to be a bit more choice with the x24 range on finish than there is on the x34; in fact the number of choices on the top end BB34 is pretty woeful...

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

in fact the number of choices on the top end BB34 is pretty woeful...

I have to agree with this 🤦🏾‍♂️

Just two choices, both of which are dark and relatively uninspiring...

Edited by CameronJ

10 hours ago, Al Krow said:

So what was this favourite colour of yours then? (My money is on white simply 'cos that's my Yammy colour of choice! :) ) There seemed to be a bit more choice with the x24 range on finish than there is on the x34; in fact the number of choices on the top end BB34 is pretty woeful...

Yep, it's a white 1024x actually. I'm going to keep that one and sell one of the two identical 1024 s I have that are both the tobacco burst. I've grown to love the burst but two identical basses is a bit silly 😋 

On 28/08/2018 at 23:28, M@23 said:

Bas, I want your white 1025 😁

Speaking of white 1025s (which just works on the BB series - Yamaha are you listening? :) ) there's one in the FS right now! 

Okay it's the x-rated version, but we shouldn't be too picky (guard) about these things right? Particularly when the original owner was also an upstanding BCer!

So Mark, no longer any need to covet mine, if you're still looking...

On 24/10/2018 at 12:00, mrtcat said:

That’s how I ended up with 3 BB1200. 

Has as anyone played the BB2024SK? Not sure how it’s different from standard BB2024 besides the color. 

pic_kameda-BB.jpg

6 hours ago, hypercarrots said:

Has as anyone played the BB2024SK? Not sure how it’s different from standard BB2024 besides the color. 

pic_kameda-BB.jpg

What’s the difference in colour? That’s just a standard white 2024, no?

14 hours ago, hypercarrots said:

pic_kameda-BB.jpg

i found my answer. the bridge pickup is alnico instead of ceramic. his sound is very bridge pickup centric so that makes sense. 

he also specified pointer markers under the knobs like the BB1200 and BB2000, etc had. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, hypercarrots said:

BB2024 not available in white. Only BB2024X

But the BB2024 would look so good in white! Imagine this with one fewer string and upgraded parts invisible to the naked eye...😂

Yamaha BB1025 Mk2.JPG

What I never understood is why the BB2024/5, given that they were flagship basses, never had individual string bridge pieces? Might have justified a bit more the otherwise hard to understand price hike compared to the 1024/5s. I guess the same point for the BBP34/5.

If you look in the same picture you'll see that these come as standard on the Ibanez SR premium range.

The only current model Yamaha that features the additional benefit of individual string bridge pieces is the BBNE2.

Edited by Al Krow

Because not all flagship basses have individual bridge pieces, I think they're in the minority. I assume the BBNE2 has them because Nathan East asked for them. They're not expensive either, the ones I've seen worked out cheaper than a regular bridge!

22 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

Because not all flagship basses have individual bridge pieces, I think they're in the minority. I assume the BBNE2 has them because Nathan East asked for them. They're not expensive either, the ones I've seen worked out cheaper than a regular bridge!

I have to agree. They look cool but individual bridge pieces aren’t objectively better - if they were then all or most manufacturers would be using them by now. 

16 hours ago, CameronJ said:

I have to agree. They look cool but individual bridge pieces aren’t objectively better - if they were then all or most manufacturers would be using them by now. 

That's a bit like saying if a 3 band EQ is better than 2 band then all or most manufacturers would be using them by now. They don't.

Individual bridge pieces can improve bass string isolation to avoid interference with the other strings. Well that's the theory anyway :) 

In terms of Yamahas, you'll find them only on their very top of the range basses, not just the current BBNE2 but also the former flagship TRB5pii. Coincidence?

Edited by Al Krow

13 hours ago, Al Krow said:

That's a bit like saying if a 3 band EQ is better than 2 band then all or most manufacturers would be using them by now. They don't.

Well 3 band EQs aren’t objectively better than 2 band EQs so yes, it’s exactly like saying that.

Individual bridge pieces can improve bass string isolation to avoid interference with the other strings. Well that's the theory anyway :) 

That is indeed the theory, however if your string muting technique is up to scratch then this benefit is somewhat reduced, don’t you think?

In terms of Yamahas, you'll find them only on their very top of the range basses, not just the current BBNE2 but also the former flagship TRB5pii. Coincidence?

It’s a choice Yamaha have made and they no doubt have their reasons for doing so. However if you look at a cross section of high end bass brands (Sandberg, Lākland USA, Fodera, ACG, Musicman, Warwick, Overwater, MTD USA, Wal, Sadowsky, Mayones, Xotic, Alpher - the list goes on) you’ll see that they overwhelmingly favour non-individual bridges. The combined years of luthiery experience across just the manufacturers mentioned above should in itself say something. And I highly doubt that they’re a load of old farts unwilling to move on with the times.

If anything, I’d say the greatest benefit of individual string bridges is that they give the luthier the ability to easily design and build a wide variety of basses without having to order a load of different parts. When you look at the kind of high volume production Ibanez has, coupled with their desire to regularly release innovative new variations of existing bass models, being able to use one bridge type across wildly different instruments makes complete sense. Look at the Ibanez website - 4 strings, 7 strings, 16mm string spacing, 19mm string spacing, fixed scale, multi scale, SRs, BTBs and even their new Electric Upright Bass - all sharing the same “Mono Rail V” bridge. Coincidence?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Well 3 band EQs aren’t objectively better than 2 band EQs so yes, it’s exactly like saying that.

Maybe just me, but give me a quality 3 band EQ and the ability to separately adjust bass, mid and treble over a 2 band EQ every day of the week. I prefer my 3 band EQ on my Ibbys to the two band EQ I had on my Warwick and Sandberg, no question.

18 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

That is indeed the theory, however if your string muting technique is up to scratch then this benefit is somewhat reduced, don’t you think?

Why do you need to be obliged to apply palm muting when you don't otherwise need to? I use palm muting deliberately for certain styles. I don't want to have to use it all the time if better design could eliminate the need.

20 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

It’s a choice Yamaha have made and they no doubt have their reasons for doing so. However if you look at a cross section of high end bass brands (Sandberg, Lākland USA, Fodera, ACG, Musicman, Warwick, Overwater, MTD USA, Wal, Sadowsky, Mayones, Xotic, Alpher - the list goes on) you’ll see that they overwhelmingly favour non-individual bridges. The combined years of luthiery experience across just the manufacturers mentioned above should in itself say something. And I highly doubt that they’re a load of old farts unwilling to move on with the times.

If anything, I’d say the greatest benefit of individual string bridges is that they give the luthier the ability to easily design and build a wide variety of basses without having to order a load of different parts. When you look at the kind of high volume production Ibanez has, coupled with their desire to regularly release innovative new variations of existing bass models, being able to use one bridge type across wildly different instruments makes complete sense. Look at the Ibanez website - 4 strings, 7 strings, 16mm string spacing, 19mm string spacing, fixed scale, multi scale, SRs, BTBs and even their new Electric Upright Bass - all sharing the same “Mono Rail V” bridge. Coincidence?

I guess one of the (many) reasons I totally rate Ibanez basses :) 

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Why do you need to be obliged to apply palm muting when you don't otherwise need to? I use palm muting deliberately for certain styles. I don't want to have to use it all the time if better design could eliminate the need.

I don’t mean palm muting as a playing style, I mean simply muting your unused strings as a facet of good technique. Generally when playing a note on the A string on a 5er, my right thumb is muting the B & E strings while the meat of the fingers on my left hand are muting the D & G strings, preventing these (unwanted) strings from ringing. If you are muting the strings you aren’t playing - and you should be if you aim to play bass cleanly - the alleged “improved string isolation to prevent interference with the other strings” is largely moot.

In a blind test with someone playing a bassline whilst employing good string muting vs the same person playing the same line without muting at all, you’ll immediately hear the difference between the two. Do you think you could really hear the same difference between a bass with a single traditional bridge vs a bass with individual bridges per string? All other things on the two basses being equal of course. If so, I take my hat off to you sir.

To clarify, I have no negative feelings toward individual string bridges, I just don’t see them as a “premium” feature by default. They look cool and they give manufacturers options. 

Edited by CameronJ

2 minutes ago, BassApprentice said:

To totally divert this discussion. I saw a BB714BS for sale and wondered what the general consensus is on them? Obviously the Attitude is highly regarded but how does this sub-signature model hold up? 

Really nice basses. And the Lava Red sparkle is lovely.

• Like 1