Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

2 hours ago, M@23 said:

Do you have a 735a? I got chance to give one a good go yesterday. I liked it quite a bit! Hmmm... Might have to give this a bit more thought! 

No I have a 1025X but sorely tempted to add a 735A to the stable!

On 07/05/2018 at 13:40, dannybuoy said:

No I have a 1025X but sorely tempted to add a 735A to the stable!

You know the 'A' is short for (kick)-A*ss don't you? :D

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

Well given that the dUg pedal party managed THREE HUNDRED posts (with barely five contributions from me) on their thread before one of them had actually tried the pedal out in anger (which arrived today)...I'm kinda going to allow myself ONE anticipatory post xD 

Definitely feeling excited about @M@23 shortly getting his new Yammy bass (and maybe an Ampeg amp and a Line6 Helix pedal to complete his set of Yammy gear?) Will it be a BB NE2, a BB P35 or just possible a BB 735A? The only thing I think we can bank on is that it will almost certainly be a BB...and it will be being played through Mark's trusty and much loved Markbass rig (you may not be aware that he changed his name by deed-poll to match his beloved amp. Now that is devotion!)

Happy Friday :) 

Edited by Al Krow

• 4 weeks later...
On 16/05/2018 at 00:18, dannybuoy said:

From that review: "the dual-function active treble/passive tone control [...] one single knob you turn that functions as a whole rotation of a passive tone control from 0 to 5, and active treble boost from 5 to 10."

I have a BB735A and I'm not sure that above part is correct.  To me it seems much more simple - namely that in passive mode, the whole knob functions as a passive tone control; and in active mode, the whole knob functions as a treble cut/boost.  

• Like 1

I also have a 735A and didn't know about the function of the treble knob until I read that review. The first 50% up to the indent does indeed only control the passive treble, and the second half does only control the active treble.  Before I read that, I thought it was 100% for both active and passive: but they are correct! The tone changes are quite subtle, but effective. I upgraded from a BB425 (which I highly rated) and now the sound of the sound of the whole (blues rock) band is much fuller and richer, thanks to the 735. A very well thought out instrument. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, 2elliot said:

I was at a Peter Hook And The Light gig yesterday.  He had a NEW Yamaha bass... a BB1200s type of new bass! Cherry red, single pick up, active electronics etc.  

That was his custom shop bass... that Yamaha gave him before his appearance with the Smashing pumpkins...

I'm hoping this will be his signature bass

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 2elliot said:

I was at a Peter Hook And The Light gig yesterday.  He had a NEW Yamaha bass... a BB1200s type of new bass! Cherry red, single pick up, active electronics etc.  

Oooh  how exciting!! Just when I thought my bass GAS had been satisfied.

The BB 1200 is pretty much the classic model as far as the BB series is concerned right? Did they ever make them as a 5 string?

5 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Go on treat yourself - you're clearly smitten, and these are as rare as hen's teeth! 

am smitten. And I can afford it. I just fear that it would throw my current state of equilibrium out of whack, as I’d then have two active 5-string Ps in the stable! My Sandberg is strung with flats though, so I suppose I could just string this with rounds...🤔

2 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

am smitten. And I can afford it. I just fear that it would throw my current state of equilibrium out of whack, as I’d then have two active 5-string Ps in the stable! My Sandberg is strung with flats though, so I suppose I could just string this with rounds...🤔

It is better to have loved and lost (aka moved on) than to have sat on your hands and and wonder "what if?"

The Yammy and the Sandberg will be very different beasts (especially if you put rounds on this). You know you love that Yammy vibe with the tone dialled right off! And having the versatility of an active EQ on a BB will take it to another level.

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

It is better to have loved and lost (aka moved on) than to have sat on your hands and and wonder "what if?"

The Yammy and the Sandberg will be very different beasts (especially if you put rounds on this). You know you love that Yammy vibe with the tone dialled right off! And having the versatility of an active EQ on a BB will take it to another level.

Hmmm...well I suppose the Sandberg is a P+M, whereas the Yammy is a P+J. Sandberg is bolt-on, Yamaha neckthrough. My only negative point for the Yammy is that as a result of being active, it has no passive tone control 🤔

16 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

String spacing is a lot tighter on the BB5000A btw - I think they did two versions of them but the one with narrow spacing is around 15.5mm vs 19mm from the current BBs. Some people might find that difficult to play.

That’s all good. I don’t mind narrow string spacing - my first 5er was narrow so I’m quite used to it, thankfully. I know it would be a big dealbreaker for most!

46 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

My only negative point for the Yammy is that as a result of being active, it has no passive tone control 🤔

It's an interesting point. 

12 months ago I was playing my basses purely passively and not having a passive mode would have been a deal breaker.

I started exploring the active side of my basses and quickly found that having the flexibility to boost or cut the bass EQ, dial the treble off when required and give the mids a permanent little push on the bass rather than needing to go back to my amp, was just great.

So on my basses that have both passive and active modes (e.g. my three Ibbys), I've now migrated to being purely active!

Having only active on the BBNE2 (which is in some ways a successor to the BB5000A?) was therefore completely fine. And perhaps it's made me appreciate my purely passive BB 1025 and being able to get that subby treble-dialled-off tone, even more as the contrast is immediate and enjoyable.

It seems to me, however, that the BB 735A rather than the BB 5000A could be the BB with your name on it Cam. Time for another trip to the Yammy store methinks, but with you holding the cheque book this time 😃

12 hours ago, Al Krow said:

It seems to me, however, that the BB 735A rather than the BB 5000A could be the BB with your name on it Cam. Time for another trip to the Yammy store methinks, but with you holding the cheque book this time 😃

You may have hit the nail on the head there, though it’s a bit of a shame they only come in matte black or sunburst. Would’ve liked a classic Antique White like the old series flagships had. I’m actually half tempted by the granddaddy P34/35 but again, the colour choices are somewhat limiting!

10 hours ago, CameronJ said:

You may have hit the nail on the head there, though it’s a bit of a shame they only come in matte black or sunburst. Would’ve liked a classic Antique White like the old series flagships had. I’m actually half tempted by the granddaddy P34/35 but again, the colour choices are somewhat limiting!

@M@23 recently got himself a P35 (I believe) and was really loving it...

You should've held on to your BB1025 methinks?!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

@M@23 recently got himself a P35 (I believe) and was really loving it...

You should've held on to your BB1025 methinks?!

I did! I've gigged it hard too since it arrived and it's really special. The range of tones is fantastic and it's a joy to play. The craftsmanship is incredible. 

@CameronJ, try one out if you can! I want more of them! Might pick up a 235 next. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Any hint on when the new BB 1200s might be coming out? Have to admit, I can't wait! 😎 

There won't be a new 1200s...the closest to it is what Hooky has been using recently ...

According to Yamaha it's a BBp34 with active circuitry... I thought it was based on the 734a...

I'm thinking this will be the Hooky signature bass...

20180813_175207.jpg

15 minutes ago, hookys6stringbass said:

There won't be a new 1200s...the closest to it is what Hooky has been using recently ...

According to Yamaha it's a BBp34 with active circuitry... I thought it was based on the 734a...

I'm thinking this will be the Hooky signature bass...

20180813_175207.jpg

Cheers. Will it be a neck through? He was very keen on that aspect of his BB1200s and a neck through does just add that touch of class to the finish of any bass! :)  YMMV, IMHO etc