Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

4 minutes ago, therealting said:

Oh interesting. What is their pricing like?

Mega reasonable, for the amount of creativity and work he puts in (he’s helped me with loads of stuff) - he’s a lovely bloke and we’ve gone from aquaintances to friends (well - I’d like to think, he probably calls me a cnut to anyone who’ll listen).

he’s on here as @timal - but I’d assume he’s very busy 😉

• Haha 1

Gents - I need to pick your collective brains please!

What are your thoughts on the "going rate" price for a vgc Yamaha TRB 5Pii? Does the wood finish make a difference on pricing?

Also do you know when these ceased to be made (I seem to recall it was around 2005?)

Just now, Al Krow said:

Gents - I need to pick your collective brains please!

What are your thoughts on the "going rate" price for a vgc Yamaha TRB 5Pii? Does the wood finish make a difference on pricing?

Also do you know when these ceased to be made (I seem to recall it was around 2005?)

I sold mine for about £1300 4 years ago

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Cheers Andy - what was the condition like (and wood), do you recall?

Bubinga and flawless, wish I’d given it more of a chance. I had more basses in that time than I care to remember. It was just a shite band I was in, not the bass sound which was the problem.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bigsmokebass said:

@AndyTravisvery nice, hoping you like the BBP34/5 so I could potentially perk this off you when you sell up 😜🤣

Yeah maybe, if a 1600, a 1024 or 3000 (passive V/V/Sw) come up...I’d love the 2024x for sale at the moment but £1300 is out of reach at the moment.

the pickguards once finished for the 1100’s won’t be screwed into the body.

8 minutes ago, M@23 said:

There's a nice BB5000a on Facebook. I've just spent out on a new amp... Otherwise I'd be all over it. Going to get another new shape BB to backup the P35. But, the 5000 is tempting, especially in white. 

I've seen a BB5000 (passive) on there, but is there also a white BB5000A (active) listed? 

Tried a friend's BB2025X today : impressive bass, I must admit. It reminded me of that Nathan East first edition I had many many many years ago. Too bad they don't make these BB2025X's anymore and that there were no fretless 6 strings model.

12 hours ago, M@23 said:

That's her. 

[Update] - thanks for sharing the link, Mark. Yup it does look like the one listed as a "BB5000" is indeed a BB5000A; the four knob (rather than two knob plus switch on the BB5000) confirms the active EQ.

So that's got me looking at the EQ on some of these older Yammy basses and (as some of you will already know!) I'm a fan of 3 band EQs, preferring them to 2 band EQs, and I'm assuming on the BB5000A the four knobs are going to be: volume, pup selector, treble and bass.

The P/J BB models (5ers) with 3 band EQ are the BB615 and the current BB735A; the BB5000A sports a neck through. No Yammy BB, as far as I can tell, has offered a PJ 5er with neck through and 3 band EQ. 

The current BB735A also has a useful active / passive switch which I'm not sure feature in the earlier models?

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Does anybody know if they did the 3000 in that blue?!

Nope, only colours available for the BB3000A were Candy Apple Red, Cream White and Metallic Black. The BB3000AF was also available in Natural and Pearl White instead of the Cream White.

4 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Nope, only colours available for the BB3000A were Candy Apple Red, Cream White and Metallic Black. The BB3000AF was also available in Natural and Pearl White instead of the Cream White.

Are you also a bit of a BB fan Mr Zero?

"Hell no" would be fine as an answer it that's the case :D

Edited by Al Krow