Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

2 hours ago, neepheid said:

I thought I'd be better off importing a BB1200 from Japan, so that's what I did.  Got change out of £900.  If you must have a PJ, get a BB2000.  Then you'll have something you can't get right now - an OG neck thru BB.

Wow it was below 900 after all the customs and tax? 

I think you said you got it from the well know. Japanese music store. 

3 hours ago, neepheid said:

Ahh, the dibbler.  His video editing style is a bit of an acquired taste, and he does talk crap sometimes, but his heart's in the right place I think.

Is he still doing that stutter and saying words wrong crap? I cant watch his videos due to that.

35 minutes ago, soulstar89 said:

Wow it was below 900 after all the customs and tax? 

I think you said you got it from the well know. Japanese music store. 

Aye, Ishibashi. Great service, answered all my emails, accurate description, big detailed photos, sent the bass in a super sturdy box. I'll be back.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Aye, Ishibashi. Great service, answered all my emails, accurate description, big detailed photos, sent the bass in a super sturdy box. I'll be back.

This is promising thanks. I will keep an eye out. I normally wait for Bassbros to get stuff in. 

ill pm you if I have more questions 

cheers

18 hours ago, MrDinsdale said:

Was watching a review of the BB734A last night by Johnny Dimble:

Gotta say while I love mine I definitely agree on the preamp, I’ve used passive mode exclusively as it sounds better to my ears.

I was actually contemplating switching it out for something different like the Lusithand but it’d be a hassle trying to fill in the empty holes. Is the neck pocket identical on the 434 and 734a?

Unpopular opinion, but I like the preamp. I changed the pickups to a Delano set. I took it to my luthier and I asked him about preamp recommendation. He told me a couple he would choose, but he also told me that I shouldn't change it and that I should try it. I'm happy I did because it sounds incredibly good now. It is really transparent. Having the possibility to play it passive is a must for me, but I never do it. I like it active with Delano pickups and stock preamp. 

• Like 2

On 16/02/2024 at 13:03, soulstar89 said:

Hey bb lovers. 

I wanted to get people view on the bb1000. How does the sound differ to a normal p bass. Say a fender or a Yamaha lawsuit copy? 

is the pickups hot? Does the reverse pickups make a noticeable sonic difference? 

I have a late 70’s Yamaha pulser p bass and have a opportunity to grab a bb1000.

thanks in advance 

perhaps a bit late... if you do some digging on PooTube, Andy Irvine does a video on the BB1000.. He raved about it. They look and sound great.. I let two slip by and wish i'd have pulled trigger...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jaybeevee said:

perhaps a bit late... if you do some digging on PooTube, Andy Irvine does a video on the BB1000.. He raved about it. They look and sound great.. I let two slip by and wish i'd have pulled trigger...

Hey mate. 

I took to long and the bass went. Was a great price tbh. 

Funny enough I recently watched the Andy video. His a cool Kat. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, javi_bassist said:

Unpopular opinion, but I like the preamp. I changed the pickups to a Delano set. I took it to my luthier and I asked him about preamp recommendation. He told me a couple he would choose, but he also told me that I shouldn't change it and that I should try it. I'm happy I did because it sounds incredibly good now. It is really transparent. Having the possibility to play it passive is a must for me, but I never do it. I like it active with Delano pickups and stock preamp. 

Yeah that’s fair, I guess it depends what you want out of it. In most cases I suspect a more subtle preamp like that is going to be more use in real world settings outside of YouTube demos. For me the passive mode sounds great so the active doesn’t do enough to warrant the hassle of dealing with batteries. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marcinkus said:

I got a very nice black BB2024, but it lacks its original hardshell case. Does anybody knows if a SKB-44 fits?

I don't know, but a Hiscox STD-EBS should fit. They used to do a Yamaha branded one, don't know if they still do. I've got one

18 hours ago, MrDinsdale said:

Yeah that’s fair, I guess it depends what you want out of it. In most cases I suspect a more subtle preamp like that is going to be more use in real world settings outside of YouTube demos. For me the passive mode sounds great so the active doesn’t do enough to warrant the hassle of dealing with batteries. 

Don't get me wrong, I also love it in passive mode. This bass is pretty impressive.

• Like 1

On 26/02/2024 at 12:58, MrDinsdale said:

Was watching a review of the BB734A last night by Johnny Dimble:

Gotta say while I love mine I definitely agree on the preamp, I’ve used passive mode exclusively as it sounds better to my ears.

I was actually contemplating switching it out for something different like the Lusithand but it’d be a hassle trying to fill in the empty holes. Is the neck pocket identical on the 434 and 734a?

I watched this video as well and thought... I want another 734a. That pre amp sounds excellent, different to the BBPH. More vicious. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Will at BB had 2 nice BB110`s in stock, a natural Jap one and a made in Taiwan metallic black one for £400. To be honest I don`t really have a use for the BB but I have loved them since owning one in the past so got the black one. In great condition, just a few wee dings and sounds great. I have always loved the BB`s P pickup. It has a Babicz bridge which might not be staying as I prefer the BBBOT. I will stick a pic up later.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jezzaboy said:

Will at BB had 2 nice BB110`s in stock, a natural Jap one and a made in Taiwan metallic black one for £400. To be honest I don`t really have a use for the BB but I have loved them since owning one in the past so got the black one. In great condition, just a few wee dings and sounds great. I have always loved the BB`s P pickup. It has a Babicz bridge which might not be staying as I prefer the BBBOT. I will stick a pic up later.

I literally looked yesterday at his Yamaha section and noticed the black bb1000’s had gone. Congrats. 

I wouldn’t mind one but tbh I want to finish off this bass before thinking of another. 

• Like 1

On 03/03/2024 at 12:13, jonno1981 said:

This bb414 is the gift that keeps on giving. Now strung with ti flats and I can’t BELIEVE how awesome it sounds. Setup adjusted and it’s just killer!

IMG_6264.jpeg

what difference is this bass to the bb3000? They look the same. 

1 minute ago, soulstar89 said:

what difference is this bass to the bb3000? They look the same. 

Main difference is that the BB3000 is neck thru, BB414 is bolt on.  The BB3000 generally comes with gold hardware, BB414 is chrome.  There will be hardware differences, tuners, bridge.  Pickups are probably different.

2 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Main difference is that the BB3000 is neck thru, BB414 is bolt on.  The BB3000 generally comes with gold hardware, BB414 is chrome.  There will be hardware differences, tuners, bridge.  Pickups are probably different.

oh so it’s a tad smaller to the difference between the bb1200 and bb1000. 

I’ll have to do some research on them then. Are the Japanese made? Is the tone similar to the bb3000?

29 minutes ago, jonno1981 said:

BB414 was the entry level bb in previous years. They pop up for bargainous prices. This was a Facebook marketplace find and I love it! 

There was one in Liverpool for £100.

now somewhere else in Liverpool for £200.

there was a 90’s bb350 for £60 today…

I messaged the guy the second I saw it…but it was gone, obviously 😫

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

There was one in Liverpool for £100.

now somewhere else in Liverpool for £200.

there was a 90’s bb350 for £60 today…

I messaged the guy the second I saw it…but it was gone, obviously 😫

Hot damn!  I had a BB350F, total beater, but still a great bass.  Shame I can't play fretless for toffee!