Why become a member? ×

If you could only choose one octave pedal

AdamWoodBass

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Now been incorporated into the Markbass Supersynth I believe, which is still being sold, and where it could be said to outshine the "synth" part of that pedal!

The MarkBass MB Octaver is an analog pedal and is a close clone of the Boss OC2. If it’s incorporated in the MB Supersynth surely your Valeton OC10 is obsolete?

17 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

The MarkBass MB Octaver is an analog pedal and is a close clone of the Boss OC2. If it’s incorporated in the MB Supersynth surely your Valeton OC10 is obsolete?

Haha no. My MB SS was moved on months ago. The Valeton remains.

Btw the MB octaver sounds NOTHING like an OC2, IMO, whereas the OC10 is as close as you can get.

What I am going to be interested in though is how many of my dedicated pedals the Helix Stomp renders obsolete and whether the OC10 survives following its arrival :) 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

I find the MB Octave to be much cleaner, lacking that dirty synthy vibe the OC2 has. The OC-10 does have that kind of sound, although I've not been able to compare it to an OC-2, since I haven't owned an OC-2 in years.

59 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Btw the MB octaver sounds NOTHING like an OC2, IMO, whereas the OC10 is as close as you can get.

Ah, I forgot you sold your MBSS. However...

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/markbass-mb-octaver-demo.838847/#post-16148808

@mcnach yeah I agree the OC2 has got a little more dirt to it. They’re certainly in the same family though.

Not sure I need to watch any videos. I've owned and spent a fair bit of time with the MB SS and it didn't come close to what the Valeton OC-10 does.

Don't get me wrong the MB octaver is very good octaver but it's different to an OC-10 (and by extension an OC2), that's all. 

Edited by Al Krow

10 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Not sure I need to watch any videos. I've owned and spent a fair bit of time with the MB SS and it didn't come close to what the Valeton OC-10 does.

Don't get me wrong the MB octaver is very good octaver but it's different to an OC-10 (and by extension an OC2), that's all. 

I think you’re assuming that the octave down sound in the MBSS is the same as the MB Octaver, which it isn’t.

• 2 months later...
On 13/11/2018 at 22:22, Quatschmacher said:

I’m definitely interested in this. If it has the same great tracking of the MXR BOD with the sound of the OC-2, then along with the  lovely blue livery and a small package, what’s not to like? Also, more headroom than original I’m hoping will translate into more gain on tap. 

I tried this out today. Tracks like a bloodhound and sounds pretty great. Not as much gain as my Octabvre but tracks much better than it. The Octabvre has more bottom end and a plummier sound but the MXR is a really good octave pedal and I may well get one.

9 minutes ago, thisisswanbon said:

Does anyone know what the headroom is like on the oc-10? My cog T-16 looks like it's on its last legs, and it's really important to what we do. I need that big synth sub sound, but scared other pedals wont have the same headroom as the T-16 😬

Do you have the older v1 COG T16 or newer v2 COG T16?

The Valeton OC-10 is a good match for the v1 T16 volume wise, but the v2 T16 has a ridiculous amount of headroom! 

My approach is always for the volume to be neutral between a pedal being engaged and by-passed so I didn't particularly need to make use of the copious amount of headroom that the v2 T16 provided.

I've found the OC10 and OC2 to be below my clean level in volume when using solo'ed 1 octave down. It's for this reason I switched to the Ocatvbre Mini...extra volume to get level back to neutral and also nice synthy tone as you turn the tone knob clockwise. I haven't tried a Cog T16 v2 but would like to at some point.

Edited by Jonathan Bee
  • Like 2

It's the T-16 v2 that I have... recently had to have a new clean pot fitted due to it catching a punter at a recent gig so not sure if that's caused it. As I found out last night though mid insomnia; when it doesnt want to play and you kick the pedal in full Oct down, and all you get is a filtered clean note :(

28 minutes ago, thisisswanbon said:

It's the T-16 v2 that I have... recently had to have a new clean pot fitted due to it catching a punter at a recent gig so not sure if that's caused it. As I found out last night though mid insomnia; when it doesnt want to play and you kick the pedal in full Oct down, and all you get is a filtered clean note :(

Have you tried contacting Tom at Cog directly?

47 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Have you tried contacting Tom at Cog directly?

+1^^ He may be able to repair

Downsides - could be several weeks before he does, so depends on how urgent. 

It may cost you more than a new Valeton OC-10 to get repaired, but on the other hand it'll mean you have a usable v2 T16 which you can move on for around £100!

10 hours ago, Jonathan Bee said:

I've found the OC10 and OC2 to be below my clean level in volume when using solo'ed 1 octave down. It's for this reason I switched to the Ocatvbre Mini...extra volume to get level back to neutral and also nice synthy tone as you turn the tone knob clockwise. I haven't tried a Cog T16 v2 but would like to at some point.

Agree with Jonathan on the OC-10 volume. I use mine with clean blend to fatten up my sound rather than for that classic solo'ed OC2 sound, so manage to maintain 'equivalent' volume that way. There's always the additional options of boosting volume via gain pedals (in my case my Keeley Bassist does this very well) or just adjusting on your bass, although I appreciate that's not something you will want to have to do often if you are kicking the thing on and off mid set! 

Edited by Al Krow

4 hours ago, thisisswanbon said:

I'm not the best at pedalboard tap dancing, but DO have a spark mini on my board, so a boosted oc-10 may be a cheaper alternative to going for a new high end pedal! 

Sounds like a plan. Just fire them both up at the same time and off you go.

And you should have no probs moving your OC-10 on if it turns out not to be for you. Fyi - I actually prefer my OC-10 to the v2 T16 I used to have (and it's not as though I didn't rate the v1 and v2 COG T16s I had - I thought pretty highly of both).

I posted a review of the Valeton OC-10 in the reviews section, in case you've not seen it. From the feedback I've come across, its strengths and weaknesses are actually VERY close to the OC2 on which it's based including having less volume on pure sub oct 1 than you might like. But it's more compact and a lot less pricey than an OC2.

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Sounds like a plan. Just fire them both up at the same time and off you go.

And you should have no probs moving your OC-10 on if it turns out not to be for you. Fyi - I actually prefer my OC-10 to the v2 T16 I used to have (and it's not as though I didn't rate the v1 and v2 COG T16s I had - I thought pretty highly of both).

I posted a review of the Valeton OC-10 in the reviews section, in case you've not seen it. From the feedback I've come across, its strengths and weaknesses are actually VERY close to the OC2 on which it's based including having less volume on pure sub oct 1 than you might like. But it's more compact and a lot less pricey than an OC2.

Yep, it’s an incredible value pedal the OC-10.

11 hours ago, Helbass said:

Since I've tried the EBS Octabass, I'm not yet ready to change.

Bad tracking on my fretted PB with roundwounds but no problem on my fretless JB with flatwounds and I love the sound 😄

That’s one that I’ve yet to try. 

15 hours ago, Helbass said:

Since I've tried the EBS Octabass, I'm not yet ready to change.

Bad tracking on my fretted PB with roundwounds but no problem on my fretless JB with flatwounds and I love the sound 😄

I like that one

Update/mini review(?)

I ended up getting the 3 leaf audio octabvre mini to replace my t16 as the tap dancing thing of boosting another pedal felt like it would get the better of me...

Gigged the octabvre mini last night, and massively impressed! It doesnt go quite as low sub wise as the T16 (which seems to go to pure sub bass) but when dialled into oc2 territory it has enough low end and headroom to shake the room comfortably whilst still giving that oc2 character.

For context, set up was:

Sandberg VT4 (neck pick up, passive) > Aguilar TH500 > Barefaced Big Twin II.

I mainly use this as solo octave setting for EDM tunes (prodigy, faithless etc)

I was worried with it not having the same lows as the T16 that it wouldn't have the same impact, but it sounded almost as if because it wasnt throwing SO much pure sub freq at the amp, the amp could better handle what it was given and in turn shook the room while retaining character. I struggled to get that balance with the T16, as it seemed to quickly go from pure sub to fuzzy with not much in the middle. Early days but possibly my favourite bass purchase to date! 

Edit: tracking was also FAR superior to the T16, going up to low G comfortably, and not bottoming out on certain notes (my T16 would go mega quiet on a high Bb or high F in particular)

Edited by thisisswanbon
Missed information due to NPD excitement!
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, thisisswanbon said:

Update/mini review(?)

I ended up getting the 3 leaf audio octabvre mini to replace my t16 as the tap dancing thing of boosting another pedal felt like it would get the better of me...

Gigged the octabvre mini last night, and massively impressed! It doesnt go quite as low sub wise as the T16 (which seems to go to pure sub bass) but when dialled into oc2 territory it has enough low end and headroom to shake the room comfortably whilst still giving that oc2 character.

For context, set up was:

Sandberg VT4 (neck pick up, passive) > Aguilar TH500 > Barefaced Big Twin II.

I mainly use this as solo octave setting for EDM tunes (prodigy, faithless etc)

I was worried with it not having the same lows as the T16 that it wouldn't have the same impact, but it sounded almost as if because it wasnt throwing SO much pure sub freq at the amp, the amp could better handle what it was given and in turn shook the room while retaining character. I struggled to get that balance with the T16, as it seemed to quickly go from pure sub to fuzzy with not much in the middle. Early days but possibly my favourite bass purchase to date! 

Edit: tracking was also FAR superior to the T16, going up to low G comfortably, and not bottoming out on certain notes (my T16 would go mega quiet on a high Bb or high F in particular)

I find the tracking on my Octabvre better than the T-16 I owned. However, I borrowed a T-70 from @tonyxtiger and his has had some resistors altered by Tom at Cog and it tracked almost as well.