Why become a member? ×

Westley Guitars, England

DEARGDOOM

[attachment=15097:Wesley_bm100tsb.jpg]

Over the past few years I've purchased both basses and amps from Wesley Guitars, England ...

[url="http://www.wesleyguitars.co.uk/storefrontprofiles/DeluxeSFItemDetail.aspx?sid=1&sfid=44184&c=519508&i=244309624"]http://www.wesleyguitars.co.uk/storefrontp...amp;i=244309624[/url]

[url="http://www.wesleyguitars.co.uk/storefrontprofiles/deluxeSFshop.aspx?sfid=44184&c=519508"]http://www.wesleyguitars.co.uk/storefrontp...84&c=519508[/url] ...

I don't know how they do it - Very High Quality at Very low price(s) - check 'em out.

i like the look of that jaguar shaped wesley the do with the two humbuckers but never bought one in case it wasnt very nice. i played an identical model, made by some other cheapo brand, that was very nice sounding, well built but i didnt like the neck. still, not bad for that sort of money. i think its great that you can get such well made basses for such low prices, it seems that even people on a low budget can get lovely basses these days.

[quote name='sgt-pluck' post='312254' date='Oct 22 2008, 04:18 PM']Do they do it by signing up to forums pretending to be a happy punter and then bigging up their own products?

Pluck[/quote]

Thats the first thing that came to my mind, Just bigging up a product for no real reason. Westleys are just like any other instruments coming out of china, mass produced and depending on who is the buyer Will put on the custom logo needed.

Edited by Shockwave

[quote name='sgt-pluck' post='312254' date='Oct 22 2008, 04:18 PM']Do they do it by signing up to forums pretending to be a happy punter and then bigging up their own products?

Pluck[/quote]

I've got to admit the thought had crossed my mind.

Mind you, if it's good enough for a high profile British amp manufacturer...

# " I took it out of the packaging and not only was it beautiful to look at, but was perfectly in tune!!! It is the best resin back semi accoustic I have ever played and I'm looking forward to many happy hours with this baby. In short I love it. Keep producing your great guitars." - Maureen, South

....well after this and the OP's glowing report i just couldn't resist it and bought not only a bass but also the company!!! don't you just love unsolicited advertising? :)

[quote name='thebeat' post='312370' date='Oct 22 2008, 06:47 PM']# " I took it out of the packaging and not only was it beautiful to look at, but was perfectly in tune!!! It is the best resin back semi accoustic I have ever played and I'm looking forward to many happy hours with this baby. In short I love it. Keep producing your great guitars." - Maureen, South

....well after this and the OP's glowing report i just couldn't resist it and bought not only a bass but also the company!!! don't you just love unsolicited advertising? :)[/quote]
If the instruments being shipped in tune is such a unique selling point, what does that tell you about the target-market?

I had one of their Rick-esque neckthroughs a couple of years back, they were selling them off for £99 and it was a bit of an impulse buy. It turned up presented immaculately, spotless, polished & tuned.

However it wasn't perfect - my main problem was that the 3-band active pre was shagged - there was next-to-no output, and what was there was unpleasantly distorted.

I returned the bass, hoping for either a repair or a replacement but later received an incredibly patronising email telling me basically there was nothing wrong with the bass - and that all active basses sounded like this! :)

Anyway the upshot was that they refused to exchange it - saying they were all the same - and offered to either return it or refund me. I opted to keep the bass - it got sent back filthy, scratched & part-dismantled. I also requested they refund me the postage I'd wasted sending the bass to them - but they never did.

In my experience Wesley do sell well-presented, decent quality cheapos - but their customer & after-sales service is worse than abysmal. Their responses do also suggest utter ineptitude as far as actually having the remotest clue about the products they sell - their "technical department" is presumably some guy with a polishing cloth & a digital tuner.

Anyway - I managed to sell the non-functioning pre for for spares - I got £20 - and replaced it with an Artec SE3 - which you could get for about £12 delivered from Singapore at the time. Sounded fine and I ended up not out of pocket. However as a result of all that, I wouldn't touch Wesley again with a bargepole.

Jon.