Why become a member? ×

This never ever gets boring.

bubinga5

Never been a Dire Straits fan, but Sultans and Money For Nothing never get old.

Re: Brothers In Arms - there's an episode of The West Wing called Two Cathedrals, where they use the song as the President berates God in the Church after a funeral. Serious, serious shivers down the spine. I went and downloaded the track immediately after watching it.

Edited by Funky Dunky

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1488716703' post='3251208']

Re: Brothers In Arms - there's an episode of The West Wing called Two Cathedrals, where they use the song as the President berates God in the Church after a funeral. Serious, serious shivers down the spine. I went and downloaded the track immediately after watching it.
[/quote]"You feckless thug." The writing in those early seasons was peerless.

http://youtu.be/dVgK5HKj3P4

Apologies for the derail; as you were.

My small band started playing Sultans of Swing recently despite protestations by guitarist that it has been done to death over the years. It never fails to get a huge cheer.

Here's my favourite off the first album, played with a great groove live a long while ago...

http://youtu.be/XEl7devfqdc

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1488821123' post='3252081']
Can't stand them. Awful, awful band. I'd happily never hear them again. The only good thing about them is that they're aptly named.

Bet you're all glad you know that.
[/quote]

Well, it is a thread for people who appreciate MKs and DS music, so not sure why you read through it and felt the need to put a downer on it. There are quite a few bands I have no time for, so I avoid them, and threads relating to them.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1488785868' post='3251634']
Another random DS fact some of you might not know - the band recorded this one before MK decided it should be sung by a lady.

So this is basically Tina Turner fronting DS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4QnalIHlVc
[/quote]

Unbelievably, my aforementioned mate did do the demo for this. He thought nothing of it, although he said can imagine how miserable it sounded, forgot about it, then heard the Tina version and it took him ages to remember why it was ringing a bell. I'll stop banging on about him now. For the time being 😉

I've always liked the 2nd album best (it was the first one that I bought). I remember initially ignoring DS when I first heard of them because I thought, with a name like that in the mid-seventies, that they were a punk band and I was, at the time, extremely averse to punk. I then remember hearing an amazing guitar solo on a jukebox a year or so later and looking at the machine to find out who it was, I felt pretty dumb when I saw 'Sultans of Swing - Dire Straits' on the display. But still, it is Communique that stays with me to this day, particularly this track...

http://youtu.be/36QvJV4_vh8

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1488832722' post='3252237']

Well, it is a thread for people who appreciate MKs and DS music, so not sure why you read through it and felt the need to put a downer on it. There are quite a few bands I have no time for, so I avoid them, and threads relating to them.
[/quote]

Unfortunately the OP didn't see fit to add a warning to the thread title for those of us with taste. :-P