Why become a member? ×

Neck Dive...

Muzz

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1488125965' post='3246068']
Must I? I'm not. It's because the centre of gravity is well forward of the neck strap pin location.
[/quote]

You said - "...to stop it turning face-down."

Strange, mine hangs with no issues apart from the slight neck dive.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1488134342' post='3246188']
If I tried a new bass in a shop that went head down on a strap I'd put it back without plugging it in, that said I dont think I've ever tried a bass on a strap in a shop, luckily all the Thunderbirds and Rickenbackers I tried were dogged with other faults so I never got that far, they look nice though :)
[/quote]

I doubt that many of us do.

It isn't often that I go out with the intention of looking at instruments in a shop but when I'm out and about, I make time for it if I see one. I thought of asking for a strap once or twice but I know from experience that new straps need breaking in and just trying to fit one can cause problems resulting in accidental damage to the instrument so I don't.

Given that I don't play sat down at all, I can't really assess what I'm trying out very well. Just well enough to give me an idea if whether I'd pick it out of a line up again. If I was shelling out for an instrument I'd make an exception and have a proper old go with a strap of my own before committing.

Edited by SpondonBassed

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1488132623' post='3246165']
You said - "...to stop it turning face-down."

Strange, mine hangs with no issues apart from the slight neck dive.
[/quote]

It doesn't turn completely face-down but tilts away from me. Is your neck strap button in the standard place?

Mind you, it was an awfully long time ago when I had a B2 but I don't remember that having the same issue as the B2V/B2AV.

My Epi Thunderbird is by far the worst and so bad i took advice from fellow BC'ers and moved the strap buttons and it made a huge difference.
My Warwick Thumb is quite neck heavy but i tend to use a good quality strap with a felt like material on the inside that stops the strap from moving on my shoulder. That seems to be just enough to prevent neck dive.

Dave

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1488200868' post='3246679']
It doesn't turn completely face-down but tilts away from me. Is your neck strap button in the standard place?

Mind you, it was an awfully long time ago when I had a B2 but I don't remember that having the same issue as the B2V/B2AV.
[/quote]

Yes. I haven't modified anything. Perhaps my massive gut helps. I hang the axe so's my fret hand is about shoulder level in first position and the paddle shaped body rests on my belly button to stop it catching fluff.

[quote name='goingdownslow' timestamp='1488205403' post='3246743']
To stop the neck dive when playing my EB3 (shorty) I pass the strap under my belt.
This will also help stop trousers from hanging down on those with no arse to keep them up.
[/quote]

What a great idea. Well done sir!

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1488206021' post='3246753']
Ahh [i]butt[/i] is it the fault of the trousers for having no arse or the wearer?
[/quote]

I see what you did there...

Alas, flat-arse syndrome is very common in my family... a bit like having a "two pack" on the wrong side of your body.

[quote name='Trueno' timestamp='1488206423' post='3246759']
I see what you did there...

Alas, flat-arse syndrome is very common in my family... a bit like having a "two pack" on the wrong side of your body.
[/quote]

...and now we're doing Buttchat! TMI. Heeheehee

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHjVt6TmOhY[/media]