Why become a member? ×

Christian Rock

tonybassplayer

[quote name='hatori' post='314376' date='Oct 25 2008, 10:00 AM']I can echo most of your experiences mate, it does make you wonder. I wont go into the whys and wherefors of how I became a Christian but one important factor for me as a bass player is that over all the 44 years of playing I have never had such powerful moments (hard to put into words) where it becomes so intense you reach that place where everything is....cant find words to describe. Its made me look for music that touches that place. Ive found music outside of the Church that has taken me to a similar level but none so powerfully. I can understand all of the comments here (love the bbc take on things). All I can say is looking at what I had in my life before and at what I have now Im truly thankful. Im not a Bible thumper, I just want to try and live my life the best I can. My faith in God is unshaken. Its just our human nature that causes the screw ups.[/quote]

Absolutely +1. Like what was said in a previous post, we had no idea what we tunes were going to play until we turned up at Church, the Pastor would give us a list and off we'd go. As I don't read music at all, not even chord charts it pushed me to a whole new level of bass playing. Luckily I have an excellent musical ear and can pick things up very quickly.
The Church has full P.A. mixing desk etc so the sound is very good.

[quote name='Josh' post='314598' date='Oct 25 2008, 05:16 PM']I don't think anyone has gone as far as to say anything like "Christians are twats" etc...

All thats happened is that we've been questioning beliefs, for and against, but it seems that you are envoking that "Privilege" in which your not allowed to question Religion, or questioning Religion is seen as an attack or an offence to God. I will always question Religion and it's followers, regardless of this self amended privilege, why should you escape question, criticism or ridicule?[/quote]

A Pastor or Minister of any religion if you believe in it or not deserves respect, therefore as far as I am concerned, unless a Pastor etc has broken the law for example, they should escape ridicule. So I think the word you are looking for is "respect"
Perhaps you would like to go and tell a family that a loved one has just passed away, or maybe say a prayer to someone who is dying, for that fact alone ministers of ANY religion deserve respect.
I respect the fact that maybe people don't like the same food as me, drive the same car as me or have the same beliefs as me.
But as CK has said repeatedly, please, back to topic. For the record, nothing has been said directly to me that has offended me in any way as I have refused to be baited. I think all in all the thread has been pretty decent.

I thank you
:)

[quote name='Johngh' post='314657' date='Oct 25 2008, 06:45 PM']Absolutely +1. Like what was said in a previous post, we had no idea what we tunes were going to play until we turned up at Church, the Pastor would give us a list and off we'd go. As I don't read music at all, not even chord charts it pushed me to a whole new level of bass playing. Luckily I have an excellent musical ear and can pick things up very quickly.
The Church has full P.A. mixing desk etc so the sound is very good.[/quote]

Believe it or not, this is not unique to Church Musicians.. :)
I have managed to reach heights at times i never thought i had in me.
This was due to playing with musicians who were also reaching heights.
[ and maybe a higher standard than me - who knows ]
And i could not tell you if they believed in God or not.Or if it really mattered at the time.
As a Musician you should strive to reach great heights all the time.
And IMO the only faith or belief you need for that, is really within yourself.
Off course A Church Musician will tell you another story.... :huh:

Garry

Edited by lowdown

Try this !!

This is one of the songs I heard the first time I went to the ALC and prompted the initial posting....sure you will agree it is not your typical church song !!

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=j4gqTowztQs"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=j4gqTowztQs[/url]

Edited by tonybassplayer
kiwi added youtube tags

[quote name='Johngh' post='314657' date='Oct 25 2008, 05:45 PM']Absolutely +1. Like what was said in a previous post, we had no idea what we tunes were going to play until we turned up at Church, the Pastor would give us a list and off we'd go. As I don't read music at all, not even chord charts it pushed me to a whole new level of bass playing. Luckily I have an excellent musical ear and can pick things up very quickly.
The Church has full P.A. mixing desk etc so the sound is very good.[/quote]
[quote name='lowdown' post='314675' date='Oct 25 2008, 06:12 PM']Believe it or not, this is not unique to Church Musicians.. :)[/quote]
I don't think he ever said that it was... :huh:

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='315402' date='Oct 26 2008, 10:21 PM']

Skip 30 seconds in and see it through to the end. Some amazing stuff and it looks so effortless I want to be sick.[/quote]

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='315419' date='Oct 26 2008, 10:35 PM']and another of 'peanut'
[/quote]

Me thinks Steve is going to rekindle his love for his Smiths very soon :).

I've got shed loads of Gospel Bassists I watch on Youtube so if anyone wanted I could create a whole list of the best Gospel bass videos.

[quote name='Rich' post='315508' date='Oct 27 2008, 07:33 AM']I don't think he ever said that it was... :huh:[/quote]

And to assume it is a "Gift" from God is just delusional.

[quote name='tonybassplayer' post='315403' date='Oct 26 2008, 10:22 PM']Try this !!

This is one of the songs I heard the first time I went to the ALC and prompted the initial posting....sure you will agree it is not your typical church song !!

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=j4gqTowztQs"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=j4gqTowztQs[/url][/quote]

Hi CK, any chance you could embed the youtube link to show it ??

Many thanks

Tony