Why become a member? ×

Distortions

Finbar

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='90672' date='Nov 19 2007, 09:25 AM']I think a Crowther Hotcake XLF for the Chord stuff and a Catalinbread Hyperpak or Mojohand Mule for the Lead but all 3 will work for all of it.

But when you start hunting I've used/owned the following distortion/overdrive and fuzz pedals :) so if you want any reviews just let me know

Crowther Hotcake Bluesberry
Crowther Hotcake Bluesberry XLF
Tech21 XXL Bass
Tech21 Programmable Sansamp
MXR M-80
Tone Factor/Mojo Hand Mule
Catalinbread Hyperpak
Catalinbread V8 Fuzz
Barber LTD
Dod 250
Custom Guitar Noise Dirtbox
Tone Factor/Mojo Hand Huckleberry
Prescription Electronics Depth Charge
Ibanez PD-7
Boss ODB-3
EHX Big Muff USA
EHX Big Muff Russian
EHX Double Muff
Bixonic Expandora Exp-2000R
Zvex Wooly Mammoth
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Zvex Machine
Digitech Bass Overdrive
Tone Factor Copperhead
Tone Factor Cream Pie
Tone Factor Hellbaby
Catalinbread Serrano
Digitech Bad Monkey
Guyatone FZ-2
Guyatone OD-2
Guyatone HD-2
DHA (Can't remember the name of it but it had all 3 modes)
Crowther Prunes & Custard
Moolon Bass Drive
Fulltone Bassdrive
Fulltone Fat Boost
Zoom Ultra Fuzz
Zoom Power Drive
Zoom Hyper Lead
Line 6 DM4
DOD FX10 Bi Fet
Catalinbread Teaser Stallion

There is prolly more but if you don't find a pedal you like in there :huh:[/quote]

Hey taste, must say thats quite an impressive list of pedals!

could you tell me what the EHX double muff is like? saw one the other day and wandering if it was worth it. kinda going for a nick oliveri slightly overdriven sound. any samples would be greatly appreciated!

cheers, Nick

I would avoid it, didn't impress me one bit it's a much tamer big muff circuit or half a circuit or something along those lines.

For what you want I'd look into the Tone Factor Cream Pie, Xotic BB Preamp or Barber LTD but on a budget a Dod 250 might manage it.

But I'm sure someone was selling a Cream Pie recently on here for like £50 which is a pretty good price

[quote name='Motocross_nick' post='91519' date='Nov 20 2007, 02:56 PM']could you tell me what the EHX double muff is like? saw one the other day and wandering if it was worth it. kinda going for a nick oliveri slightly overdriven sound. any samples would be greatly appreciated![/quote]

i love it - i used it last night at my new band's practice and it sounds amazing (sorry tayste_2000 !!) !!!

it's not a pretty sound, very ragged, but i don't think that's what it's for...no appreciable bass loss and adds a nice roughness to the sound. i was using it solely on the single muff setting, AND ran it before a little big muff and the sound was frankly immense.

i've no idea who nick oliveri is i'm afraid...

for the price, i'd say give it a whirl

[quote name='ahpook' post='92371' date='Nov 21 2007, 09:08 PM']i love it - i used it last night at my new band's practice and it sounds amazing (sorry tayste_2000 !!) !!!

it's not a pretty sound, very ragged, but i don't think that's what it's for...no appreciable bass loss and adds a nice roughness to the sound. i was using it solely on the single muff setting, AND ran it before a little big muff and the sound was frankly immense.

i've no idea who nick oliveri is i'm afraid...

for the price, i'd say give it a whirl[/quote]

yeah must say the price did tempt me, can pick up one for 25 quid on the 'bay!

Nick oliveri is the former bassist of the Queens of the stone age, he played a p bass through an overdriven ampeg svt. just ragged gritty but not too ott tone.

cheers, Nick

[quote name='Motocross_nick' post='92420' date='Nov 21 2007, 10:47 PM']yeah must say the price did tempt me, can pick up one for 25 quid on the 'bay!

Nick oliveri is the former bassist of the Queens of the stone age, he played a p bass through an overdriven ampeg svt. just ragged gritty but not too ott tone.

cheers, Nick[/quote]

then i'd say go buy one !

ragged it certainly the way i'd describe it !

it's certainly not polite, but then i don't like polite

Tayste_2000, how did you get on with the BAD MONKEY? I have just ordered a Humphrey modded bass version after hearing good reports, i will report in due course

Edited by steve-norris

[quote name='steve-norris' post='92673' date='Nov 22 2007, 12:37 PM']Tayste_2000, how did you get on with the BAD MONKEY? I have just ordered a Humphrey modded bass version after hearing good reports, i will report in due course[/quote]

It's good for the money personally I prefer the Hot Head for bass just sounds meaner but both have a digitalness to them (hehe I made a new word) what I mean by that is they aren't very reactive to your playing same sort of gain just quieter if you play softly instead of what most fuzz/distortions and overdrives do where they clean up and such.

For the money they aren't bad but I wouldn't pit them against anything boutique, never tried a modded one either

• 2 weeks later...

I got the proper Hysteria sound with my Bass Pod XT. Didn't need anything else - but I also got very close with an Ampeg SVT BSP for the clean low and high drive mixed with a Big Muff for the low and low mid drive.

When I still had the Rig of Doom Version 2 (V3 is being assembled at the moment - this time Mark Bass powered) I used the Bass Pod Pro XT and the Ampeg SVP BSP.

Both units can mix clean with filth so I effectively ran 4 sounds (1 clean and 1 dirty mixed per cab).

The POD X3 will actually let you mix 2 totally different amp models together too - might be worth a look.

• 4 months later...

Hey Kev!

I know you sold your Pickle Pie but I thought you might want to check out my new Pickle Pie "B" version. It's a new version I made that is voiced for bass guitar. It has a totally revamped circuit, completely changed FET based clip section and best of all for bass, an active buffered clean-blend. It's not up on my site yet, but I saw this post and thought you (and everyone else) might want to check it out. I worked on it for months, so I guess I'm a little impatient!

[url="http://wrenandcuff.com/mp3s/pp_b_3samp.mp3"]http://wrenandcuff.com/mp3s/pp_b_3samp.mp3[/url]

thanks,
Matt

[quote name='Wren and Cuff' post='179220' date='Apr 17 2008, 08:08 PM']Hey Kev!

I know you sold your Pickle Pie but I thought you might want to check out my new Pickle Pie "B" version. It's a new version I made that is voiced for bass guitar. It has a totally revamped circuit, completely changed FET based clip section and best of all for bass, an active buffered clean-blend. It's not up on my site yet, but I saw this post and thought you (and everyone else) might want to check it out. I worked on it for months, so I guess I'm a little impatient!

[url="http://wrenandcuff.com/mp3s/pp_b_3samp.mp3"]http://wrenandcuff.com/mp3s/pp_b_3samp.mp3[/url]

thanks,
Matt[/quote]
damn i like the clean blend have you got any good schematics for adding clean blends to circuits? i was thinking of using [url="http://www.seanm.ca/stomp/minblend.html"]http://www.seanm.ca/stomp/minblend.html[/url] but just putting the circuit in between the send and return bit would that work?

[quote name='Wren and Cuff' post='179220' date='Apr 17 2008, 08:08 PM']Hey Kev!

thanks,
Matt[/quote]

that sounds amazing !!!

I got rid of my ODB-3 because I'm another who reckons it was too fizzy, but I have to admit I'm mighty tempted by the Double Muff, mainly because of the 'True Bypass' that the ODB didn't have. I've been borrowing a Danelectro Wasabi distortion which is pretty good, and has the db boost, but when it's not in use it really colours the clean sound :)

[quote name='jono b' post='181468' date='Apr 21 2008, 12:02 AM']I got rid of my ODB-3 because I'm another who reckons it was too fizzy, but I have to admit I'm mighty tempted by the Double Muff, mainly because of the 'True Bypass' that the ODB didn't have. I've been borrowing a Danelectro Wasabi distortion which is pretty good, and has the db boost, but when it's not in use it really colours the clean sound :)[/quote]

i really liked my double muff, sadly it's broken...

if you use the odb-3 PROPERLY, it is immensly better than a double muff will ever be

you know the odb-3 has a high freq and gain knob right?? have them set correctly and there will be none of the fizzyness everyone seems to jump on the bandwagon about

Edited by BassManKev

[quote name='BassManKev' post='181478' date='Apr 21 2008, 12:26 AM']if you use the odb-3 PROPERLY, it is immensly better than a double muff will ever be

you know the odb-3 has a high freq and gain knob right?? have them set correctly and there will be none of the fizzyness everyone seems to jump on the bandwagon about[/quote]

horses for courses bmv...

I used to bash the pedal quite a bit purely because I'd heard so many bassists use it badly in live gigs and I'd never heard one sound good. But on Saturday night I saw some guy using one with a Gibson Thunderbird through a GK rig and it sounded incredible!