Why become a member? ×

The Ultimate Amp Head

EBS_freak

What is the ultimate amp head?
Does it exist?
What would you look at in the ultimate amp head?

I have been thinking about recently and am wondering -

Does Class D cut it?
Or does the size and weight advantage win out?
Do you think there is a comprimise in Class D?
Does connectivity bother you? e.g. Series/Parallel fx loops/tuner output/DI/line?
Is a mute switch a must? I hate it when amps haven't got a mute switch - ideally foot controlled?
Does it have to have a 12ax7 in the pre?
Built in compressor?
Built in drive?
Speakon connectors - how many?

Any more ideas?

And more to the point... what amp is it?? What is your holy grail of amps?

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='310596' date='Oct 20 2008, 04:47 PM']What is the ultimate amp head?
Does it exist?
What would you look at in the ultimate amp head?

I have been thinking about recently and am wondering -

Does Class D cut it?
Or does the size and weight advantage win out?
Do you think there is a comprimise in Class D?
Does connectivity bother you? e.g. Series/Parallel fx loops/tuner output/DI/line?
Is a mute switch a must? I hate it when amps haven't got a mute switch - ideally foot controlled?
Does it have to have a 12ax7 in the pre?
Built in compressor?
Built in drive?
Speakon connectors - how many?

Any more ideas?

And more to the point... what amp is it?? What is your holy grail of amps?[/quote]

2 prerequisites
My sound
F*cking loud

I want 5 knobs labelled as follows:

Gain
Volume
Bass
Crap Middle knob that increases the unintentional string noise and makes you sound like a prog w@nker (this would be constanly set to 0)
High.

I'd also opt for an on/off button.

I'd like it to give out a loud dull thud, probably weigh slightly less than my Peavey Firebass and maybe have some of the glowing tube things (to fry an egg on).

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='310605' date='Oct 20 2008, 04:52 PM']what do you consider "ultimate"?[/quote]

I don't think one exists.

My amp, the TD650 for starters, doesn't have a footswitchable mute facility. I use the footswitchable mute on the Peterson to get by... but it should be on the amp in my opinion.

Edited by EBS_freak

I don't care about esoteric dials and switched tbh - same with bass guitars; I like them almost idiot-proof if you know what I mean.

In a particular rehearsal room we use, I play a Warwick Neo Tubepath 1000w Head and it doesn't cut it for me at all. It's loud, but it sounds like sh*t imho. The amp has just far too many controls and as a result, I spend most of the rehearsal trying to dial in "my tone". Unsuccessfully, I might add......

Give me an easy-to-use EQ, and a DI out and i'm happy. Even an effects loop doesn't matter to me as i'll almost always play dry. If I use any effect, it's from a Boss pedal and even then, it'll be a limiter so it's not really an effect per se.

I'll have an old Trace any day of the week, and i'll usually just flip the pre-shape switch and i'm happy. If there's any tweaking needed, i'll try it from the bass controls first. If that doesn't make me happy, i'll use the EQ on the amp.

I'm a real plug and play kind of guy. And it works for me. I know not everyone is as easy to please as me though......

Edited by BassInThePlace

Ultimate for me

Small to 2u rack in size
500w into 4ohm
Valve pre (if it could have a footswitchable second valve for a bit of drive so much the better).
EQ - Bass, para (or two would be nice) with Q, high.
Decent compressor (with at least threshold, ratio, attack and release, although these can be on trim pots inside the case), footswitchable.
Mute for tuner, footswitchable .
Balanced DI.
At least one speakon.

Less than £300 and available in Sainsburys or Tescos would be perfect please.

(editted to remove the fx loop - don't want to be greedy for my £300)

Edited by clauster

Stupid amount of non-breaking valves that don't get old and break up really well, a massive amount of speaker outputs and has a really high ohms thingy so i can plug them all in, bass low mid hi mid and high controls, built in tuner that can do loads of tunings automatically. Oh, and it weighs roughly 5lbs lol.
Zach

[quote name='Tinman' post='310649' date='Oct 20 2008, 05:40 PM']Now, I'm really interested in this. It seems to have everything I'd need. I'll be going to try it out shortly and I'll let you know how I get on. Valve pre, mute switch, switchable graphic, switchable OD etc. To me this is coming very close.[/quote]

Whats the back of this thing look like? It looks to be a very well thought out amp on first observation...

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='310653' date='Oct 20 2008, 05:49 PM']Whats the back of this thing look like? It looks to be a very well thought out amp on first observation...[/quote]
Unfortunately, none of the sites(including the Samson site)show the rear of it. If the write-up is to be believed it has both speakon, 1/4 inch jack outputs and everything else you'd expect.
And yes, on the face of it, it looks very good. It's had good reviews in the States too.

[quote name='Tinman' post='310662' date='Oct 20 2008, 06:01 PM']Unfortunately, none of the sites(including the Samson site)show the rear of it. If the write-up is to be believed it has both speakon, 1/4 inch jack outputs and everything else you'd expect.
And yes, on the face of it, it looks very good. It's had good reviews in the States too.[/quote]

Looks to be a competative price also. I shall keep my eyes out for this beast at my locals.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='310664' date='Oct 20 2008, 06:04 PM']Looks to be a competative price also. I shall keep my eyes out for this beast at my locals.[/quote]
I've got the guy who owns a shop in Northallerton, to get one in for me to try. Like I say, I'll let you know how I get on. I'm really looking forward to trying it out.

[quote name='Tinman' post='310668' date='Oct 20 2008, 06:14 PM']I've got the guy who owns a shop in Northallerton, to get one in for me to try. Like I say, I'll let you know how I get on. I'm really looking forward to trying it out.[/quote]

Let me know what's on the back of it!

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='310653' date='Oct 20 2008, 05:49 PM']Whats the back of this thing look like? It looks to be a very well thought out amp on first observation...[/quote]

Here's a shot of the back panel, not very clear but might give an idea. Good shot of Jack Bruce's Eq settings too! :)

[url="http://www.cortmi.ua/article/e-catalogues/Hartke_HyDrive_Brochure_final.pdf"]http://www.cortmi.ua/article/e-catalogues/...chure_final.pdf[/url]

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='310596' date='Oct 20 2008, 04:47 PM']Do you think there is a comprimise in Class D?[/quote]

yes, however, there are ways around it.

a company called Tripath basically re-invented the class D amp, sadly AFAIK they also went bankrupt. However, you can still buy their chips various places, and they are amazing!

they are much drooled over in the hifi world, and i've always wanted to see how their largest chip (which i think is 2x300W) would sound in a bass amp.

[quote name='Jase' post='310696' date='Oct 20 2008, 07:06 PM']Here's a shot of the back panel, not very clear but might give an idea. Good shot of Jack Bruce's Eq settings too! :huh:

[url="http://www.cortmi.ua/article/e-catalogues/Hartke_HyDrive_Brochure_final.pdf"]http://www.cortmi.ua/article/e-catalogues/...chure_final.pdf[/url][/quote]
Jack Bruce used 2 rigs at the Cream reunion - the other was the opposite so I guess it was a kind of bi-amp using the tone controls :)

Getting back to the original question, an EBS HD350 with a two gain control tube like my Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0, and the footswitch options you get with the Neo-Gorm, weighing in stupid light like the Genz, would be about it.

[quote name='agoulding' post='310755' date='Oct 20 2008, 08:20 PM']Can't say I'd want too many controls. id definatley want a graphic and pre-shape. but atm my trace is perfect for me.

id quite like an aguilar though

edit: oh...or the hellborg system[/quote]

First mention of the Hellborg system... what is it about that particular amp you like?

I haven't tried the Hellborg system myself yet, but I'm skeptical that the extra quality it claims to deliver is going to be useful in my situation. I can see how it might be justified for one man playing acoustic solo bass guitar though.

I can't really fault my Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 for the job its been designed to do (although a 2ohm output would be nice). So mine would basically take the rack mountable class D amp that they make for the times I need to take an effects unit or other rack gear.

Genz Benz NeoPak putting out 600w with two independent and footswitchable input channels and the eq section from the Eden WT800.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='310883' date='Oct 20 2008, 11:15 PM']I haven't tried the Hellborg system myself yet, but I'm skeptical that the extra quality it claims to deliver is going to be useful in my situation. I can see how it might be justified for one man playing solo acoustic bass guitar though.

I can't really fault my Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 for the job its been designed to do (although a 2ohm output would be nice). So mine would basically take the rack mountable class D amp that they make for the times I need to take an effects unit or other rack gear.

Genz Benz NeoPak putting out 600w with two independent and footswitchable input channels and the eq section from the Eden WT800.[/quote]

Is there a 2 ohm class D out? I thought that they run too hot at that load... or perhaps am I completely wrong??

Why would you want two independent inputs?

This is interesting stuff...