Why become a member? ×

Yamaha BB1200 1977 MIJ Original *SOLD*
£650

clarkpegasus4001

I have just bought this bass recently from a fellow basschatter but i've decided that this bass just isn't for me, and I've just been offered another bass which I prefer over this one, but I need to sell this first. hence i'm now putting it back on the market.
What we have here is a totally original 1977 (first year) Yamaha BB1200 bass made in Japan. The serial number is 001134.
This one does not have the BB1200 on the headstock only the Yamaha logo, so it must be one of the very first produced. It is a neck through construction not bolt on, It has an Alder body and an Ebony fretboard. It has simple passive electrics, one volume, one tone, and a Precision style reversed pick up. The frets are in excellent condition as is the entire bass. It has one small blemish and minor marks on the top but overall this is in great condition for the year and a rare find. The action is low and the volume is even all over the board. There are no crackles on the controls, and the tuners are very smooth indeed. It comes with the original case (some damage but perfectly functional). It even includes the original unused pick guard, and tools. One tool is damaged but there is a replacement there. Weight is 9.75lb according to my scales.
I am only asking £650 for this tone monster which considering the prices I have seen on the web, is stupidly cheap.
I am looking for a CASH SALE ONLY please no p/x's or trades on this. I would much prefer cash on collection, but I can post at your cost. I will post to UK, Europe and USA/Canada. I don't post to Italy, Eastern block countries, Africa or Asia or South America sorry, check if you are unsure.
You can pay by Paypal as well if you are prepared to the cover fees, or bank transfer is fine.
Anyone wishing to view and try this first is more than welcome by appointment.
Somebody will be delighted with this bass and i'm sure you all realise it's probably worth way more than i'm asking for it.
Here are the pics....
[url="http://s935.photobucket.com/user/clarkpegasus4001/library/Yamaha%20BB1200%201977?sort=3&page=1"]http://s935.photobuc...7?sort=3&page=1[/url]
[url="http://s935.photobucket.com/user/clarkpegasus4001/media/Yamaha%20BB1200%201977/1.jpg.html"][/url]

Edited by clarkpegasus4001

[quote name='ash' timestamp='1487429688' post='3239745']
A beauty I have a Yamaha BBVIIS MIJ and the build quality is fantastic this must be even better! Good luck with the sale someone will get a bargain here.
[/quote]

Nice one. Thanks you are right, it's a steal at this price and the build quality of this is spot on.

I've had a daft idea that this could possibly be a short cut to getting a BB5000 - convert it to a 5er. Depends upon whether the pickup would work ok with 5 strings, but the neck is right - just need a new nut, new 5 string bridge, I have a set of 5 Hipshot U/lite tuners already. Plus of course the hole in the headstock, which would interfere with the decal. I've read that the early BB5000 were pretty much a converted 4 string, don't know the truth behind that.

But then again that all seems a shame to mess about with a perfectly decent bass.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1487589833' post='3240912']
I've had a daft idea that this could possibly be a short cut to getting a BB5000 - convert it to a 5er. Depends upon whether the pickup would work ok with 5 strings, but the neck is right - just need a new nut, new 5 string bridge, I have a set of 5 Hipshot U/lite tuners already. Plus of course the hole in the headstock, which would interfere with the decal. I've read that the early BB5000 were pretty much a converted 4 string, don't know the truth behind that.

But then again that all seems a shame to mess about with a perfectly decent bass.
[/quote] Paul - this bass used to be mine, and while it's upsetting it didn't work out for clarkepegusus4001 and I wish him a speedy sale - please don't buy this bass for that! A couple of years back I stuck a thread up on talkbass asking about the headstock logo and got unsolicited offers from Yamaha collectors in the 800-900 quid range. Don't be confused by the low selling price This one is early enough, and has the low serial and less common headstock logo, and is in reasonable condition that it's quite desirable and please please don't cut it up to add an extra string!
That said I hope the OP gets a sale, and he's a great guy so, if you buy it and modify it - don't ever put anything about it on basschat for us to see!

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1487618522' post='3241271']
Paul - this bass used to be mine, and while it's upsetting it didn't work out for clarkepegusus4001 and I wish him a speedy sale - please don't buy this bass for that! A couple of years back I stuck a thread up on talkbass asking about the headstock logo and got unsolicited offers from Yamaha collectors in the 800-900 quid range. Don't be confused by the low selling price This one is early enough, and has the low serial and less common headstock logo, and is in reasonable condition that it's quite desirable and please please don't cut it up to add an extra string!
That said I hope the OP gets a sale, and he's a great guy so, if you buy it and modify it - don't ever put anything about it on basschat for us to see!
[/quote]

Too right Luke! I'd hate to see this bass modified in any way. This bass is 100% original and certainly a collectors piece. I wouldn't want to see it modified it's far too nice for that. This is a quality, rare and vintage piece of kit. It is at this price for a quick sale, given I need the cash to fund another bass that has suddenly been made available to me which i'd sooner have over this bass. It's another vintage bass I was actually looking for a while ago.
I was going to use this Yamaha for my new tribute band, but I can use another bass for that.
There are a couple of these model Yamaha's for over £1000 for sale elsewhere, and another for over £2000 (in Japan) for sale, so this is proper bargain.