Why become a member? ×

Silent Practicing - Help please!!!! :)

FlatEric

Hi. :)

I have searched on here but can't find anything about this, although I "think" I have seen something on here about it.
Sure someone will point me in the right direction. . . . .

A recent change of rehearsal venue (what is effectively a hall, close to neighbours) and a couple of things aren't right.

A: The sound is bordering on awful (echoing/muffled/lack of definition).
B: Two visits in and we have already had the "can you turn it down a bit lads", which we already had done, being senstive to the location.

There is a house PA, std sort of run of the mill desk.

The idea is. . . . use the gear we have, run it into the PA (both have DI) and keep the volumes on the Guitar/Bass amps really low.
The vocal mics would run into the PA and the only thing that would be at normal volume, is the drum kit - knocking the levels right back.

I haven't looked at the desk yet (we sort of packed up and wandered, once we had been told to "keep the noise down) but. . . . .
There must be a monitor/headphone output - can I run some sort of interface (small mixer?) out of it into four headphones, so we can each hear bass, guitar, vocals through headphones and hear the drums acoustcally/bleed from the vocal mics??

Anyone done something similar/thinks my wacky idea will work??

Taaaaaa. :)

No, but the last band I played drums in we practiced in the guitarists front room, in a semi detached, and later in the singers big garden shed. I learned to play softley enough so we could sing harmonies without using mics. The singer used the PA very quietly. We could interupt a song by speaking. I know it sounds odd but it helped with my drumming technique and nade it easier to spot mistakes and wrong chords. We were a 5 piece including keys.

It's a big investment but our drummer got an electric kit.
I use a 25w combo amp on about vol 2/3 same with the guitarist and a 15w amp.
We talk at just above normal vol.

Rehearsal is in a single garage joined to a house and is good fun.

We have a powered mixer to run the drums, but if you have a PA in this place that's easy.
Best thing is the modules meaning you can select loads of drum sounds from tight snares to stadium rock

I'll be rehearsing with a 4 piece this afternoon in the drummer's garage. Bass, guitar and keys go through amps but turned well down, vocals are unamplified, and the drummer uses an electronic kit. It's a very pleasant volume, and one of the few times I play without earplugs.

On the other hand, I'll be rehearsing with another 4 piece on Thursday evening in the harmonica player's house, different group of people, we rehearse at gig level, with a hard hitting drummer. No idea how we get away with it in a residential area, but we've been playing there every week for four years!

I agree about the E-drums, it opens up a lot of possibilities for rehearsal and performing.

If your band already has a mixing desk, you could just buy a four way headphone amp and run from the desk in to that. Cheaper than a jam hub unless you really need individual mixes.