Why become a member? ×

Silent Rehearsals

itsmedunc

I've posted a few times about silent rehearsals but this is about how positive it's working for us.

Our live rehearsals were too loud and unproductive. We were just going through the motions and not "working" anymore. They were too loud and getting messy and so something had to change.

Equipment

Jamhub Bedroom
Behringer BDl21 on bass
Behringer Tube Emulator (surprisingly good with a Tele) for rhythm
Boss ME33 for lead (could be better but useable)
Yamaha DTX500 kit
SM58 mics for vocals
Sennheiser HD201 headphones

Surprisingly, eventually got everyone on board. The lead guitarist was very skeptical but almost unbelievably warmed to it within minutes. The singer who professes weird ear canals and so can't do in ears or phones did the same. Rhythm went with the flow and the drummer (who has lugged his kit to every rehearsal and gig for 40 years) loves it! (The kit lives at mine!)

I really can't express how good it is and what a life changer in many respects. Working through material is so easy now. Everyone can hear everyone elses mistakes and so we have found we up our game and play better. We now come away feeling we have actually achieved something. I'm sure we could improve some of the equipment but it's all working for us at the moment.

We've been rehearsing at my house and so there's no expense and we can rehearse on what day and until what time we choose.

"Live" rehearsals are still on the cards but I don't think I'll ever go back to them permanently.

That's really cool, very glad its working well for you. If we can get hold of a really good electric kit we'll be doing the same although volume has never been an issue with our set up. Guitarist rarely uses amp for gigs or rehearsals and whole band loves in ears.

If only other musicians were as welcoming to the potentials of this as those you work with. I've had all on getting one of our guitarists to turn down but he may be seeing the light - his amps have gone from a 100w Marshall Vintage Modern, to a 50w Victory Earl but now he's taken to using a 30w Victory Kraken - still trying to get him to use it in half-power mode! Meanwhile, guitarist #2 is a perfect example of playing at a suitable volume/tone, despite having a amp capable of volume/gain levels that can melt your face!

Edited by DaytonaRik

I have a Jamhub in the house for my electric kit, bass noodling and playing music, or if mates visit for a jam. It is really useful, but as other have said, was expensive. I got a deal on mine from Thomann when the exchange rates were a lot better.

My only annoyance was having to fork out even more to buy mono to stereo adaptors for the inputs as all jack ins are non-switchable stereo. Once this was done - sorted!