Why become a member? ×

Custom pickups?

Owen

I have a bass which I love dearly, but fancy a change of pickups.

At the moment I have a pair of EMG 45TW in it, but fancy a more organic passive vibe.

(http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=29803)

The problem is that the pickups are 6 string size, but the bass is a 5 string. With EMGs it makes no odds because the magnet is a blade all the way across the pick up so spacing is not an issue. Unfortunately this means that I need a pickup the same size as a 45TW so I cannot drop any normal 45TW sized pickup in because the pole pieces will be in the wrong place.

Can anyone suggest a manufacturer who might be able to knock something up for me. Wizard do not do that size :)

TIA as ever.

Have you spoken to Andy at Wizard? Only reason I ask is that when I wanted pups to drop into my Warwick Infinette there wasn't a pup in the Wizard catalogue (JJ) that fitted, so I spoke to Andy and he quite literally made me one the correct size/shape (cut the lugs off the J pups and joined with a poly strip in the middle). It still ended up costing pretty much the same as if I'd just bought a pair of pups off the shelf.

I think Aaron Armstrong (Kent Armstrong's son) does some custom winding. I've got one of his pickups in my Sei 7 and more will be in my forthcoming ACG 9.

After a quick Google, I found that there's a website under contruction [url="http://www.armstrongpickups.co.uk"]www.armstrongpickups.co.uk[/url] which says that he does do custom windings and repairs.

This from the web page:

Tel | 01233 822120
e-mail | [email protected]

Would definately be worth a call or e-mail.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='309852' date='Oct 19 2008, 02:55 PM']Doesn't anyone offer a service to retro-fit new internals into old pick-up housings?
Can't go wrong with that - at least they'd definitely fit whatever they came out of...[/quote]
Pretty sure Andy @ Wizard does this...? Definetely a good idea to look into it!