Why become a member? ×

two tv themes - artists?

Bay Splayer

[quote name='uptonmark' post='308076' date='Oct 16 2008, 07:04 PM']not for the bass, more for the whole track, i would like to know who played the following tv themes:

south bank show

and (on tv before some of you were born)...... weekend world :huh:

title and artist would be appreciated if anyone knows, won`t hold me breath though :)[/quote]

I seem to remember the South Bank Show was Julian Lloyd Webber, Andrew's brother.

Try googling "Weekend World". You'll find [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weekend_World"]this[/url].

Last line.

Edited by obbm

South Bank Show was from the Album Variations by Lloyd-Webber, people like John Hiseman, Gary Moore, Barbara Thompson Julian Lloyd Webber (cello)etc. Can't remember who played bass, possibly Dill Katz???

Weekend World was a track by the band Mountain, dunno what it was called though.
Cheers
MBA

speaking of TV themes, I believe I may have found an example of Abe Laboriel playing on CHiPs at last! :)

A nice fill at 2:00

Cheesy disco! :huh:

Sounds like he's playing the lines on a Musicman Sabre too because the bass sounds very similar to my Cutlass II. Its not as good as the stuff he did when it was just bass doing the incidental music. I'm still hunting for a season of that stuff on youtube

[quote name='uptonmark' post='308076' date='Oct 16 2008, 07:04 PM']not for the bass, more for the whole track, i would like to know who played the following tv themes:

south bank show

and (on tv before some of you were born)...... weekend world :huh:

title and artist would be appreciated if anyone knows, won`t hold me breath though :huh:[/quote]

Very easy (for us over 40)

South Bank was indeed Andrew Lloyd Webber's Variations On A Theme by Paganini. The band who played it was:

Julian Llyod Webber - Cello

Colosseum II - Jon Hiseman (Drums), Gary Moore (Guitar) Don Airey (Keys) and the late great John Mole (Bass) - what a fab band they were.

plus - Barbra Thompson on Sax and Flutes (Jon Hiseman's wife and fellow band members of Paraphernalia) and

Rod Argent (keys)

I went to see them perform this at the QE II Hall on the the south band London, when they toured with release of album. Saw another fab bass player there - one Neil Murray, who was Coloseum II's first bass player on their brilliant first album - Strange New Flesh.

The Weekend World Theme is by Mountain...and is called Nantucket Sleigh Ride ( all about hunting sperm whales...not very PC these days, but a great song none the less) Alan Freeman used to play it all the time on his Saturday afternoon Rock Show and it's still played on Planet Rock from time to time.

There you go, you can breath easy now :)

Two great songs

Nantucket Sleighride what a song, apparently it's dedicated to some cabinboy who got eaten when marooned in a ship with other sailors or something.

I think a Nantucket Sleighride was being dragged behind a whale in a boat after you had harpooned it.

It is a very mellow track until the Week-end world bit, then some Wayne's World head banging is in order