Why become a member? ×

Vintage Guitar - 5 basses that shook the world

casapete

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1483100880' post='3204698']
Basses that shook the world?

I'm biased. . . IMO the first 2 on the list are 51 and 58 P basses, the third is the Jazz, the fourth is the first 5 string bass and the rest come next.
[/quote]

I would tend to agree, maybe the fifth would be the first fretless in the standard electric bass format?

Ha ha - I'll go with that Pete.

Having been a member of a tribute band rooted in music of the late 50s and 60s, I am well acquainted with the era/generation mindset of 'nothing worthwhile happened after the 60s', and an almost anal view of accuracy and adherence to period, particularly in minute detail but seemingly ignoring core matters of substance. I used to quietly chuckle to myself when their 'vintage' amps were unable to cope with poor venue acoustics simply because they didn't have mid range controls!!! But of course, they must be the best because they're vintage ha ha!!

I'm not in the least surprised Vintage Guitar comes up with such nonsense. It's especially wrong for the UK where Fenders weren't even imported until the early 60s owing to post war import restrictions.

It simply isn't right for the 60s where I seem to recall the most famous bass player of the era played a Hofner, two of the most famous and accomplished players of the decade (amongst others) played EB3s - move on to the 70s (when surf music and pastel coloured guitars were about as unhip as flared trousers from the 60s/70s were in the 80s), and players were often using CBS era Fenders, and Rickenbackers - move forward to the latter part of the decade and the influence of players using active basses like Alembic and Musicman is all pervading. No doubt active basses are anathema to the vintage brigade.

I don't recall the funny shaped Gibson figuring in much of that.
l
I'm sure Vintage Guitar sells to that fast diminishing demographic of (generally) white 70+ year olds - who have never noticed that the instruments they're on about did not figure generally in for instance, Classic Rock.

It's true that there were some great songs and music in the 50s and 60s, and it was a great pioneering era - but to ignore anything from 1970 - 1990 is plainly stupid, particularly when that era contains far more classic pop, rock, soul, R and B than the 50s/60s, and there are a lot of real classic designs which grew with the music.

It's basically an out of touch magazine which I wouldn't expect to know much other than the obvious about basses anyway.

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1483105581' post='3204759']

I would tend to agree, maybe the fifth would be the first fretless in the standard electric bass format?
[/quote]

I have 2 Fender MIJ Ps from the early 90s. I can't imagine getting rid of either.

Blue