Why become a member? ×

Cool Christmas & New Year's Eve Gigs

blue

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1482340492' post='3199748']
I had a Christmassy gig in Newcastle Cathedral t'other day - obviously it's a lively old room, so we played whisper-quiet and the PA kept low.

It was fab. So atmospheric.

[/quote]

That looks like an amazing room :)

We're at a good social club NYE, same place we played last year, should be a good atmosphere with plenty of dancers and different ages.

The cool bit? Will be my first gig since the birth of my third daughter two weeks ago :)

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1482339966' post='3199738']

Interesting Pete,

I thought tips went against the grain in the UK.

Blue
[/quote]

If you really like something it's not unheard of here, a decent waiter/ess service and we will leave a tip for example, people might give a few quid or a pack of beers etc for the milkmam,window cleaner,bin men etc etc

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1482349249' post='3199845']

If you really like something it's not unheard of here, a decent waiter/ess service and we will leave a tip for example, people might give a few quid or a pack of beers etc for the milkmam,window cleaner,bin men etc etc
[/quote]

Cool,

It's a little different over here. The woman who cuts my hair is paid $2.20 cents an hour.

How can I not leave a decent tip.

When we have an engaged crowd and the band is hot, we receive good tips. They know we don't make much money.

Blue

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1482357803' post='3199927']
Yes no matter how badly they cut your hair they get paid a minimum wage, tips are more of a bonus than an income!
[/quote]

A little something about Summerfest,world's largest music festival, hosted here on Milwaukee's lakefront for 2 weeks.

They licence out little patches on the grounds to acoustic and percussion acts. This allows them to busk for a specific time allotment.

It's really a good deal for them, a lot cash passing hands.

Blue

Going to have an interesting gig on Christmas eve. Our new drummer was already booked elsewhere so we have a dep lined up. We usually have two female vocalists but one is going away for Christmas so we decided to do the gig with one singer who has just pulled out due to illness. We've just found a dep singer so on Saturday there will be four of us and only me and the guitarist will have met each other before.

[quote name='Adrenochrome' timestamp='1482402285' post='3200167']
Nothing due to other band members' unavailability (and we are strict on full gigs only once a month on average) but I'm keeping my eyes open for a dep gig. :)
[/quote]

Yup, we're using a DEP drummer tonight.Our drummer is unavailable.

Guys, I have to tell you, I'm not big on deps. Or I should say deps for the bar band level. We, for whatever reason we can't attract a DEP with experience that can come in and due a night justice.

Blue

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1482357803' post='3199927']
Yes no matter how badly they cut your hair they get paid a minimum wage, tips are more of a bonus than an income!
[/quote]

Pete,

I wouldn't consider or call $2.20 an hour income.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1482524617' post='3201320']

Guys, I have to tell you, I'm not big on deps. Or I should say deps for the bar band level. We, for whatever reason we can't attract a DEP with experience that can come in and due a night justice.

Blue
[/quote]

We don't have a full time drummer, our first call guy has family commitments that mean he can't play as often as we'd like, so if he's not available - probably 3/4 of the time we go down a list of other guys to find someone who is.

Normally works out fine, as Facebook has made it easy to find good quality musicians, and though they won't know our specific arrangements I make sure I communicate with them as much as possible on-stage to help.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1482524617' post='3201320']

Blue
[/quote]

Most of my dep gigs are with the same band so I'm familiar with 99% of the material and I know my backing vox fit okay. :)

120 mins on NYE with my 10 piece Bowie celebration band in a big arts centre here in Cardiff. 500 tickets sold & a long reserve list to boot. The whole thing is a Bowie tribute night & we're the centrepiece, so win-win hopefully. £200 odd a man, PA provided & secure room to store our gear till the next day. I'm stoked tbh!

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1482409246' post='3200251']
Last gig of the year for us is tonight, hastily rearranged from tomorrow night, at the Jerico in Oxford. We will probably be playing to whoever is left of the other 4 bands and the guy on the door :(
Do come along, it'll be great.
[/quote]
Actually turned out pretty good. First band up playing their first ever gig, so all their parents, grandparents and school friends were there. Thinned out by the time we got on, but still a few folks around. Band got paid £20! Who can top that! :)

Got a phone call Xmas eve lunchtime "You doing anything tonight?"
So I became a member of the Surecan Playboys for a night!
Huge fun. We played a pub in Cambridge for a tiny amount of money.
Acoustic bass played by a very young skinny chap, acoustic guitar by another young skinny chap and me on acoustic guitar.
We all sing, so it was swapping songs round all evening.

"We persuaded the old peoples home to let him out for the night" was my introduction,,,

But musically it was excellent, well received by a good crowd and was a big improvement on sitting at home watching TV.
All three of us smiling, laughing & having a lot of fun throughout.
Oh and they give a SCPB badge (button to the Yanks) to everyone after they finish the first song with the band!
Unfortunately I left mine in my gig shirt and it is currently being tumble-dried! Hope it survives but cant be assed to stop the dryer and get it out.

Lovely way to spend Xmas eve.

Edited by ivansc

I'm covering bass duties over xmas for the rockabilly band I used to be in, as their bassist quit a few weeks ago. Played Newlyn British Legion on xmas eve. That wasn't bad - nice sound there, unlike the previous evening where we were playing in a little 'box' in a corner of the Royal Inn in Par.

NYE we're down at the Lugger Hotel in Penzance. Never played a New Years Eve gig in all the years I've been playing. The place got slated in TripAdvisor for poor service and shoddy housekeeping, so this could go either way - it'll either be empty because of the crap service, or busy because the food is quite good, so I read. Apparently there is a £35 price tag for the meal and 'entertainment', so we'll see what happens!

Edited by odysseus

[quote name='Adrenochrome' timestamp='1482526803' post='3201337']

Most of my dep gigs are with the same band so I'm familiar with 99% of the material and I know my backing vox fit okay. :)
[/quote]

Well, we don't have a DEP that knows 99℅ of our material.

My point and position remain. Some bands are not positioned to attract or recruit competent deps.

Blue