Why become a member? ×

Modern Albums With Excellent Bass

bass_in_ya_face

I have to be honest and say musically my taste is very much pre-2000 and that a lot of recent bands leave me cold.

Can any of you guys recommend recent albums where you are stunned how good the bass is?

I haven't really heard anyhting lately where the bass playing really stands out for me but I am open to anything from dance to metal.

The bassist of Muse (Chris Wolstenholme) is very good if you like proggy metal.

Also, Cornelius does some really cool things with bass on his tunes.

You do make a fair point about alot of mainstream music at the mo - loads of landfill indie with really dull rhythm section work.

[quote name='bass_in_ya_face' post='305626' date='Oct 13 2008, 05:04 PM']....Can any of you guys recommend recent albums where you are stunned how good the bass is?....[/quote]
I don't know what "Dance to Metal" encompasses. Sounds like it might be outside my comfort zone, but, in my opinion, you will get amazing bass on anything by Keb Mo (Reggie McBride, Freddie Washington)and Jon Cleary's Absolute Monster Gentlemen (Cornell Williams).

Edited by chris_b

The bass playing on Amy Winehouse's ' Back to black' is for me an example of modern/retro feel&groove,where the playing complements the songs perfectly. Perhaps nothing technically amazing, but just tasteful,economic and 'right'. Love it.

Not terribly recent but just post 2000, D'Angelo - Voodoo is essential listening for all bass players. Like nothing you have ever heard before. Pino Palladino, Rafael Saadiq and Charlie Hunter laying down the bottom with ?uestlove on drums.

Alex

P.S. The recently released EP by The Reluctant also features some righteous bass work (see sig!) :)

Well, my current favourite is a band called [b]Alterbridge[/b] [url="http://www.alterbridge.com/"]http://www.alterbridge.com/[/url] - The bass is spot on everytime.. not over busy.. totally in the pocket and the band are amazing live. I would suggest buying both current albums straight away.'One Day Remains' and 'Blackbird.

[quote name='casapete' post='307798' date='Oct 16 2008, 12:34 PM']The bass playing on Amy Winehouse's ' Back to black' is for me an example of modern/retro feel&groove,where the playing complements the songs perfectly. Perhaps nothing technically amazing, but just tasteful,economic and 'right'. Love it.[/quote]

...fantastic playing, but notice how Tears Dry On Their Own (or wft it's called) has taken the bass straight from Marvin Gaye&Tammie Tyrell(sp?)'s Ain't No Mountain. I think it's one semi-tone higher, but apart from that it's a carbon copy! Very Sneaky, Miss Wino :) !

[quote name='Beefy' post='307911' date='Oct 16 2008, 02:38 PM']Either of the Streetlight Manifesto records have some really sweet bass on them. 'Everything Goes Numb' probably has the better songs though.

+1 on the latest Wilhelm Scream album too.[/quote]

10-4! Somewhere in the Between by Streetlight is brilliant, I'm going to see them live in December again. Can't wait... brilliant bassist and drummer. And horn section. Just great in general really!

[quote name='Oscar South' post='305656' date='Oct 13 2008, 05:41 PM']The development of 'popular' music stopped the day Frank Zappa died.

Can't really think of anything released recently that stands out (for lack of listening to anything much recently), the bass playing on 'Fight With Tools' by Flobots is pretty decent though.[/quote]

Poppycock. There are loads of bands making exciting music, you just need to look for it.

Check out:

Killers - Hot Fuss (esp. Jenny Was A Friend Of Mine and Somebody Told Me)
Magic Numbers - The Magic Numbers (great feel, chromatic fills galore)
Wombats - Guide To Life.... (nice fast punky playing with a pick)
Brand New Heavies - Brother Sister (ok, so it's mid-90s, but the playing is a masterclass)

[quote name='karlbbb' post='308140' date='Oct 16 2008, 08:44 PM']+2 on Career Suicide![/quote]

Right, that's 3 people, time to plug it some more! Some nice tapping in the intro, and the song itself is masterful.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSCX_vuRDWc"]A Wilhelm Scream - The Horse[/url]

Listen to the breakdown at around 1:20, some fancy fingerwork! [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQPRtDCFAGE"]A Wilhelm Scream - Jaws 3, People 0[/url]

Edited by Wil

[quote name='Wil' post='308007' date='Oct 16 2008, 04:56 PM']Poppycock. There are loads of bands making exciting music, you just need to look for it.[/quote]

I know there are lots of new and exciting bands, but that doesn't mean they're doing anything to develop music. I'm drifting increasingly far from 'popular' music forms into avant garde electronica, modern experimental classical and jazz genres and also post rock and its derivatives; genres that (for the most part) embrace the development of the genre as a vital part of its existence, rather than the entirely commercial (and hypocritical) approach of re-using the same cash cow cliches over and over while preaching on about originality and authenticity.

Frank Zappa only did his 'popular' music projects to fund his modern classical ones, and his 'popular' music is century's beyond anything released since.

On Topic, 'Cross' by Justice has some good bass guitar work (albeit chopped up and processed), Both 'The Sixth Extinction' and 'Every Red Heart Shines For The Red Sun' by Red Sparowes have some terrific bass playing on them.

Edited by Oscar South

I have a lot of respect for Zappa's musicianship and original approach to writing music, don't get me wrong. His popular music, though, while technically out there and very impressive, seems to be technical for the sake of technical as far as I can make out. Doreen has a good tune, though...

Anyway, I guess my point is, screw originality, I want something I can sing loudly in the shower.

Zappa "pop music?" That one hit wonder? :)
(one very good hit though, with great bass)

+ for Magic Numbers

Zappa died in 1993... You've not heard ANY good popular bass playing music since then?
That's a very strange place to be.

Edited by OldGit